Gregg Doyel on Tim Tebow and His Faith: Blasphemy

Clyde

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To Tebow, everything that happens to him, good or bad, is because of his faith. Tim believes, basically, if God wishes him to start in the NFL, he will. And he believes this is what God's plan is for him.

Doyle interjects a lot into this column. Basically his own believes. Gregg can profess his faith and give examples of his faith til the dogs come home, but the bottom line is that he is interjecting secular concepts into his version of Christianity, where Tebow does not. Blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder.

While I tend to believe more like Doyle and less like Tebow, I find it funny that the media can't seem to rattle Tim by attacking his ability, his drive, his personality, so they go after his faith. Makes me want to pull for him.

To Tebow, everything that happens to him, good or bad, is because of his faith. Tim believes, basically, if God wishes him to start in the NFL, he will. And he believes this is what God's plan is for him.

Doyle interjects a lot into this column. Basically his own believes. Gregg can profess his faith and give examples of his faith til the dogs come home, but the bottom line is that he is interjecting secular concepts into his version of Christianity, where Tebow does not. Blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder.

While I tend to believe more like Doyle and less like Tebow, I find it funny that the media can't seem to rattle Tim by attacking his ability, his drive, his personality, so they go after his faith. Makes me want to pull for him.

Do you believe, as Doyel does, that Tebow believes that he will indeed start BECAUSE God wants him to?

Do you believe, as Doyel does, that Tebow believes that he will indeed start BECAUSE God wants him to?
Absolutely, but unlike Doyle, I see nothing wrong with that. We all get our motivation from different places. He gets his from his belief in God, in his way.

Note that Doyle is not quoting Tebow when he inserts the phrases "or the Bible tells him so" and "For the Bible tells me so." and he paraphrases Tim in "I'll be a starter in this league because God loves me that much." I don't really care about Tim Tebow that much, so I don't know what he actually said. Why paraphrase? Why not print what Tebow actually said?

Absolutely, but unlike Doyle, I see nothing wrong with that. We all get our motivation from different places. He gets his from his belief in God, in his way.

If he believes God wants him to start how is that motivation? Wouldn't it just happen because it was to be.

so I don't know what he actually said. Why paraphrase? Why not print what Tebow actually said?

From the article:

"Others who say I won't make it are wrong," Tebow told the Denver Post on Thursday. "They don't know what I'm capable of and what's inside me. My family and my friends have been bothered by what's gone on, and I tell them to pay no attention to it. I'm relying as always on my faith."

If he believes God wants him to start how is that motivation? Wouldn't it just happen because it was to be.
Depends entirely on the point of view. If he believes God wants him to start, he will be motivated to put in the time and effort to improve his skills to obtain what God wants. It's not like he's grabbed a bag of chips, headed to the couch and said, "Bring it to me God." His work ethic, would indicate the opposite.

Depends entirely on the point of view. If he believes God wants him to start, he will be motivated to put in the time and effort to improve his skills to obtain what God wants. It's not like he's grabbed a bag of chips, headed to the couch and said, "Bring it to me God." His work ethic, would indicate the opposite.

So what will he think when he is the #2 or #3 ?

Phillipians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me". You can't pick and choose bible verses,, with out faith we have nothing, Tim will accept any decision the coaches make, but maybe he might start for another team, and in Canada. With God all things are possible.

There were folks who thought Jesus was a nut case and made fun of him and even had him put to death because they didn't really understand why he came to earth. Tim is a Christian and the word comes from Christ, so we are to be Christ like in our daily walk as much as we can, so when people want to make Tim look bad, they won't be able to, kinda like some have tried to make Christians on here, it just won't happen.

From the article:

"Others who say I won't make it are wrong," Tebow told the Denver Post on Thursday. "They don't know what I'm capable of and what's inside me. My family and my friends have been bothered by what's gone on, and I tell them to pay no attention to it. I'm relying as always on my faith."

Then I guess I'm not as perceptive as Doyle. To me Tebow is doing exactly what Doyle is accusing him of NOT doing. Taking responsibility of what Tim Tebow is capable of, what Tim Tebow has inside of him and relying on his faith to get him there. From where I sit, that's motivation.

I'm probably not as good Christian as either man, so my perspective is from an entirely different angle.