Track the NL Central Champion Reds - 2nd Half (Week 1)

Nice win by the Reds but please please please Dusty Baker wakeup and think about what you are doing when you make these decisions. They baled your rear end out tonight.

Got to love this: It's Baker's fault when the players don't perform and when they do perform it's because they are so good.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to love this: It's Baker's fault when the players don't perform and when they do perform it's because they are so good.

When did he say it wasnt Chapman's fault. The argument was that Masset should have been used.

Who is saying that it is Baker's fault when they don't perform? It is all on the players when they don't perform. It is Baker's job to put the players in the best position to win the game. That is the only control he has and over the last week he has failed miserably at that imo.

Who is saying that it is Baker's fault when they don't perform? It is all on the players when they don't perform. It is Baker's job to put the players in the best position to win the game. That is the only control he has and over the last week he has failed miserably at that imo.

You said it was Baker's fault they were losing and the players "bailed him out" to win. I don't think you can eat your cake and have it too.

Not that Dusty needs to justify using Chapman in the 8th...but he as a pretty darn good reason after the game, IMO.

Okay I know you are a student of the game and follow stats a lot because you always come up with them. Imo Dusty pays way too much attention to stats. You are right in that overall numbers for Albert vs Massett are very good, (6 for 13), but his numbers this year were 0 for 2. How does that make them any better than Chapman's who faced Pujols once? The last thing that you want to do with Albert or any other slugger for that matter is fall behind 2-0 and then have to come into him. Chapman has 2 pitches, a fastball and a slider which he rarely throws. Massett has a good array of pitches and this year has been very good since a bad start to the season. In your mind who would have given the Red's a better chance to hold the Cards down in the situation they were in last night? I think that you would say Massett unless you just don't like Massett. Stats are only as good as they look on paper and something nice to talk about. I'll dance with the one I brought until there is a better option and I don't think it was Chapman at that time.

You said it was Baker's fault they were losing and the players "bailed him out" to win. I don't think you can eat your cake and have it too.

It was Baker's fault for leaving Chapman in there to face the right hander after the leadoff walk to Rasmus. That is not putting the players in the best position to win the game.

It was Baker's fault for leaving Chapman in there to face the right hander after the leadoff walk to Rasmus. That is not putting the players in the best position to win the game.

That's not the only decision he made all night. So again, it's his fault when they lose, someone else's when they win.

And let's act like there would be no kevetching if Massett was brought in and pulled one of his classic choke jobs. "How is Dusty going to bring in a guy Pujols has owned?! Fire him!"

Here's a prediction on how the rest of the season will play out regarding Massett:

If Massett hits a rough patch or doesn't live up to potential it will be because Dusty "ruined his confidence," not because he's a perpetual screw-up who I wouldn't trust to pitch a tee-ball game. If Massett is lights out the rest of the way it will be because he is just that awesome.

I love you people who crush Masset. It's freaking comical. ERA last 3 years. 2.37, 3.40, and 3.06 this year. He is pretty darn good. Of course he has his bad games but overall he gets the job done. He has allowed 4 ER in the last 2 months and 3 of those were from one outing (Dodgers game :irked:).

Okay I know you are a student of the game and follow stats a lot because you always come up with them. Imo Dusty pays way too much attention to stats. You are right in that overall numbers for Albert vs Massett are very good, (6 for 13), but his numbers this year were 0 for 2. How does that make them any better than Chapman's who faced Pujols once? The last thing that you want to do with Albert or any other slugger for that matter is fall behind 2-0 and then have to come into him. Chapman has 2 pitches, a fastball and a slider which he rarely throws. Massett has a good array of pitches and this year has been very good since a bad start to the season. In your mind who would have given the Red's a better chance to hold the Cards down in the situation they were in last night? I think that you would say Massett unless you just don't like Massett. Stats are only as good as they look on paper and something nice to talk about. I'll dance with the one I brought until there is a better option and I don't think it was Chapman at that time.

1. I didn't come up with those stats.

2. You're telling me you'd rather have Pujols facing a guy who he's seen 13 times (and has crushed) rather than a guy he's seen once (who's been lights out for the past 3 weeks? Makes a lot of sense...

Masset has done a great job for the Reds during his time, but I have no problem with Chapman being used in that situation.

3. Masset is just as much a 2 pitch pitcher as Chapman so that argument doesn't have any ground to stand on.

I love you people who crush Masset. It's freaking comical. ERA last 3 years. 2.37, 3.40, and 3.06 this year. He is pretty darn good. Of course he has his bad games but overall he gets the job done. He has allowed 4 ER in the last 2 months and 3 of those were from one outing (Dodgers game :irked:).

I'm a Masset guy.

Here's a prediction on how the rest of the season will play out regarding Massett:

If Massett hits a rough patch or doesn't live up to potential it will be because Dusty "ruined his confidence," not because he's a perpetual screw-up who I wouldn't trust to pitch a tee-ball game. If Massett is lights out the rest of the way it will be because he is just that awesome.

Sounds like someone speaking that doesn't like Massett.