Track the NL Central Champion Reds - 2nd Half (Week 1)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For your entertainment, the EZ Living "Dusty's lineup" log:

Originally Posted by westsider

Why Heisey in the leadoff slot against righties and Lewis seventh?

Friday night complaining about Heisey leading off instead of Lewis, Heisey goes 2-5, 2 HR's and 3 runs scored. Lewis is 0-3.

I was being sarcastic about their speed. I guess you didn't pick up on that.

Saturday ... EZ doesn't like Renteria batting second. Renteria goes 2-5. EZ also thinks maybe Heisey should lead off and Stubbs bat seventh. Stubbs is 3-4 batting leadoff. Heisey is 0-3.

I don't think that anybody likes Renteria in the lineup period!

I can't wait to hear what EZ Living has to say about today's lineup. Read closely and you might find the star of the game before the first pitch is thrown.

I already made a comment that it should be a doozy before I even saw it.

Having a little fun with you EZ, but the point I will make is it is easy to second guess managers. Actually, you had legitimate arguments for questioning the lineups, but Dusty had very good legitimate reasons for doing what he did. His decisions worked. As long as the manager's move makes no sense at all, it is hard to pick on him IMO.

I just wish he would let guys get settled in spots and stop trying to please everyone. This team has not won back-to-back in over a month. They have to get some kind of momentum going or they will gradually fall farther and farther behind 3 teams imo.

Stubbs cf, Cozart ss, Votto 1b, Phillips 2b, Gomes lf, Bruce rf, Cairo 3b, Hanigan c, Bailey p

Theriot ss, Rasmus cf, Pujols 1b, Holliday lf, Berkman rf, Freese 3b, Cruz c, Garcia p, Schumaker 2b

A little surprised that he's starting Bruce. I don't disagree because I think that like Votto he needs to play everyday righty or lefty on the hill. Why Heisey out and Gomes in though? Did Gomes look good last night on his pop out to 1st in his only AB? No I guess he like Renteria hasn't played in awhile. The only good thing today is that Garcia has not been near as good on the road as he has at home. Still this will be a tough game to win if he has them swinging wildly.

Gomes has the best numbers out of anyone vs Garcia.

4 for 10 lifetime, 0 for 2 this year versus Heisey 1 for 5 lifetime and 0 for 0 this year. I guess it doesn't matter that Heisey is totally outplaying Gomes at this time of the year but we all know Dusty likes his numbers.

A little surprised that he's starting Bruce. I don't disagree because I think that like Votto he needs to play everyday righty or lefty on the hill.

Why Heisey out and Gomes in though?

Did Gomes look good last night on his pop out to 1st in his only AB? .

1.) :thumb: Bruce, Votto, Cozart, Phillips should never come out of the lineup unless hurt or have played a very long stretch of games and need a day off. There are a few others imo that should play pretty much every day. Heisey being one. Put a lineup on the field that gives you the best chance to sucseed and keep them there. Baseball players need to play baseball, not be wondering what the heck that they will be doing each time out.

2. :idunno: Only thing I got is that is text book toothpick, makes perfect sense for him.

3.) :lol:Absolutely!! He can pop out with anyone.

I guess it doesn't matter that Heisey is totally outplaying Gomes at this time of the year but we all know Dusty likes his numbers.

:thumb: Yes it matters, thats why Dusty puts Gomes in, he can't have a player that has been going good in every day :D.

His "numbers" are going to be 3rd, maybe 4th at seasons end if things don't get going and soon. Should the Central be any better then it would get bad. The Reds in a bad division is the thing that still gives them a shot.

:thumb: Yes it matters, thats why Dusty puts Gomes in, he can't have a player that has been going good in every day :D.

His "numbers" are going to be 3rd, maybe 4th at seasons end if things don't get going and soon. Should the Central be any better then it would get bad. The Reds in a bad division is the thing that still gives them a shot.

Here are the numbers that matter. Since the sweep of the Dodgers in LA on June 15th the Reds are 9-15 BUT still only 4 games out of 1st. Dusty needs to set a lineup and strive to get this team on some kind of positive momentum and not worry about keeping everybody on this team happy. They wasted 2 months with Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria struggling mightily before making the call on Cozart. Now is crunch time knowing that they play both the Cards and Brewers only 3 more times this year.

A little surprised that he's starting Bruce. I don't disagree because I think that like Votto he needs to play everyday righty or lefty on the hill. Why Heisey out and Gomes in though? Did Gomes look good last night on his pop out to 1st in his only AB? No I guess he like Renteria hasn't played in awhile. The only good thing today is that Garcia has not been near as good on the road as he has at home. Still this will be a tough game to win if he has them swinging wildly.

4 for 10 lifetime, 0 for 2 this year versus Heisey 1 for 5 lifetime and 0 for 0 this year. I guess it doesn't matter that Heisey is totally outplaying Gomes at this time of the year but we all know Dusty likes his numbers.

Here are the numbers that matter. Since the sweep of the Dodgers in LA on June 15th the Reds are 9-15 BUT still only 4 games out of 1st. Dusty needs to set a lineup and strive to get this team on some kind of positive momentum and not worry about keeping everybody on this team happy. They wasted 2 months with Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria struggling mightily before making the call on Cozart. Now is crunch time knowing that they play both the Cards and Brewers only 3 more times this year.

Two things:

1. It isn't about keeping guys happy. It is about keeping guys sharp enough to contribute when you need them.

2. As to a set lineup, I am sure Dusty would love to be able to put 8 guys out there every day. We just need those 8 guys to step up and win the job. Until that happens, mix and match, play the odds that is who the Reds are. On this team there are 3 guys you can write in the lineup every day - Votto, Phillips, Bruce. After that it is a crap shoot.

PS ... I am looking for a big day out of Gomes. :D

Two things:

1. It isn't about keeping guys happy. It is about keeping guys sharp enough to contribute when you need them.

2. As to a set lineup, I am sure Dusty would love to be able to put 8 guys out there every day. We just need those 8 guys to step up and win the job. Until that happens, mix and match, play the odds that is who the Reds are. On this team there are 3 guys you can write in the lineup every day - Votto, Phillips, Bruce. After that it is a crap shoot.

PS ... I am looking for a big day out of Gomes. :D

Not today unfortunately. Back to the bench for JPU.