Closest Beach by Car from NKY?

20/20Hindsight

True but you do get that vacation, beach town experience on Lake Michigan. It is a lot like going to ocean and you can even enjoy going out to eat without sweating your brains out. If I only had 4 days, it would be a no brainer because I ain't driving 11 hours+ one way for a 4 day vacation.

4 days = Michigan to get beach feel. Not nearly the same but it's better than the lake if the "beach" is your goal.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the times, Sportsfan. I ended up doing a little research via Mapquest too. I am thinking Virginia Beach might be the shortest drive, plus it will allow for an 4 hr detour up to D.C. Might end up going that route.

I'm here right now. Va. Beach is very expensive and not nearly as nice as others mentioned on this thread.

I'm here right now. Va. Beach is very expensive and not nearly as nice as others mentioned on this thread.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd heard that years ago about Virginia Beach, but we were thinking of looking into it for late July because it is closer. Looks like we'll avoid it and look into the old stand bye's Hilton Head and Myrtle.

I wouldn't waste your time with Hilton Head. It has turned in to a busy, touristy, Ohio migration point.

Go to Charleston/Isle of Palms ... 9 Hours with a couple stops.

More to do ... nicer area than Hilton Head.

Plus ... it is centrally located between Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head (in case you want to make a day trip).

My family has made the Hilton Head trip in less than 10 hours from Northern Kentucky. I'm currently in Destin and the trip was just around 12.

I think I could make it to Hilton Head in 8-9 hours from Danville if we didn't have kids with us.

I've been to Nags Head in the Outer Banks upwards of a dozen times. Driving varies from 10 1/2 to 13 hours depending on how dedicated you are to following speed limit laws and the time that you are arriving there. Much of the driving in NC is not expressway, so if you catch the weekend "check-in/check-out rush", you could be in for a good wait. When we go down, we generally try to leave around midnight to 2am in order to get us there some time around noon.

Also worth note, the Air Force has the Dare County Bombing Range, not too far from Nags Head. It's one of their national training areas for air-to-surface target training. Every year on the third Thursday of July, they open up an official viewing area to the public, and you can watch them doing maneuvers and getting in a little target practice. It's ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

If you're going to the Charleston area and want a true beach town feel there's only one option - Folly Beach.

I respectfully disagree.

You get much of the same feel on Ocean Blvd in Isle of Palms.

Not to mention .... the beach is much cleaner

Strong Points for Folly: Fried Oreos ... and the ability to have an "adult beverage" on the beach legally.

IOP: Cleaner beach, Banana Cabana and closer to the Charleston (not to mention--avoiding the James Island mess that you get to deal with on Folly).

Both are great choices. People need to realize that you can make either trip in 9 hours (following the speed limit).

And most importantly ... not having to deal with the Ohio migration in HHI.

I respectfully disagree.

You get much of the same feel on Ocean Blvd in Isle of Palms.

Not to mention .... the beach is much cleaner

Strong Points for Folly: Fried Oreos ... and the ability to have an "adult beverage" on the beach legally.

IOP: Cleaner beach, Banana Cabana and closer to the Charleston (not to mention--avoiding the James Island mess that you get to deal with on Folly).

Both are great choices. People need to realize that you can make either trip in 9 hours (following the speed limit).

And most importantly ... not having to deal with the Ohio migration in HHI.

To the best of my knowlege, you can have alcoholic beverages on the beach (assuming you're of age) on pretty much all of the beaches in Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia.