Closest Beach by Car from NKY?

20/20Hindsight

I know many BGPers are seasoned travelers, so I thought I'd pose this question here.

I'm looking to get to the ocean this summer, and want to know which beach has the shortest drive from NKY. We'll be driving and will likely only have about four days tops to spend for this mini-vacay, so I'd rather not spend the majority of it on the road. Any suggestions?

As a side note, if anyone knows of any really good beach resort-type deals, I'm not opposed to flying somewhere if the price is right for lodging. Feel free to add some suggestions for that as well. We're kinda looking to do this on the cheap, i.e., two adults with transportation and lodging (and preferably some food and sightseeing) for less than $400 a person.

Thanks in advance to the BGP Tourist Agency for helping me plan a little getaway.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per mapquest from: NKY to Virginia beach is 10.5 hours, NKY to Nags Head NC(Outer banks) is 12 hours. NKY to Myrtle Beach is 10 hours 50 minutes and NKY to Savannah, GA is 10.5 hours.

Keep in mind these are all via mapquest and could be shorter in length depending on your driving style.

Thanks for the times, Sportsfan. I ended up doing a little research via Mapquest too. I am thinking Virginia Beach might be the shortest drive, plus it will allow for an 4 hr detour up to D.C. Might end up going that route.

When are you all planning on taking this road trip?

If you want to save driving time and maximize beach time, go to Lake Michigan. You will be amazed at the beaches. South Haven Beach I believe was voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the nation. Only about 5-6 hours. I would think the first week of August should be plenty hot enough to enjoy the beach.

If you want to save driving time and maximize beach time, go to Lake Michigan. You will be amazed at the beaches. South Haven Beach I believe was voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the nation. Only about 5-6 hours. I would think the first week of August should be plenty hot enough to enjoy the beach.

I thought about saying the same. Could spend more on fun and less on gas if you went to one of the lakes in KY, or Tennessee too.

If I'm driving from NKY I'd go to Hilton Head which is about 11 to 11.5 hours.

Destin is similar drive.

The west coach of Lake Michigan is nice and it can be 5.5 to about 8 hours depending on where you go.

Folly Beach is becoming my new fave off of Charleston. Similar drive to Hilton Head.

I thought about saying the same. Could spend more on fun and less on gas if you went to one of the lakes in KY, or Tennessee too.

True but you do get that vacation, beach town experience on Lake Michigan. It is a lot like going to ocean and you can even enjoy going out to eat without sweating your brains out. If I only had 4 days, it would be a no brainer because I ain't driving 11 hours+ one way for a 4 day vacation.