Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"He Talked Me Into Transferring"

Featured Replies

Kids say stuff all the time that isn't exactly the truth when it comes to transferring or allegedly being recruited to transfer. I don't think what the kid said can or should be ignored, but if the investigation revealed/reveals that the kid was going/needed to transfer anyway and thus the transfer was not motivated by athletics, the kid's comments were probably just puffing. I think folks need to sit back, take a deep breath and relax on this.

 

Ru, while I used to think that the transfer decisions by the KHSAA were very subjective and inconsistent, that was when the Board of Control was involved in the eligibility decision process. Since the the BOC has been removed from the process, while there is obviously some subjectivity involved (there has to be given the exceptions listed), I think the eligibility decisions by the KHSAA have been much, much more consistent; have given the benefit of any doubt to the transferring kid (which I applaud) and have been investigated much more fully before a decision is rendered.

  • Replies 117
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And therein lies the problem. If you've never seen the form, you have to put down your reason for the transfer. If you put down athletics, you would not be allowed to play at the new school. However, I think NCC will be fine, the player states "He talked me into it", but never says SPECIFICALLY it was for athletics. He mentions the chance to compete for a regional title, but you can easily make the argument that his friend talked him into transferring for a number of reasons, school climate, academics, etc. Not sure on the rules of kids recruiting kids, I'd have to look that one up.

 

If a kid is forced to leave his school, doesn't that change why he was eligible? Doesn't that change his motivations? What were his other options? Go to another public school in Boone and be ineligible? I am asking, I don't know. However if that is the case, how can anyone have a problem with him being able to pick a school where he would get to play and get a good education? If I was in high school, faced w a similar situation bet your butt that I am not going to choose to end my career prematurely. Now for his sake, I hope that he has found the change positively.

It wouldn't top the Mike Mitchell case.

 

He was found clear of everything. That is water under the bridge.

  • Author
He was found clear of everything. That is water under the bridge.

 

Irrelevant to the point I made, counselor.

  • Author
If a kid is forced to leave his school, doesn't that change why he was eligible? Doesn't that change his motivations? .

 

In general, as in I'm not talking specifically about this case, you cannot gain immediate eligibility if you left one school in trouble. Again, speaking in generalities.

If a kid is forced to leave his school, doesn't that change why he was eligible? Doesn't that change his motivations? What were his other options? Go to another public school in Boone and be ineligible? I am asking, I don't know. However if that is the case, how can anyone have a problem with him being able to pick a school where he would get to play and get a good education? If I was in high school, faced w a similar situation bet your butt that I am not going to choose to end my career prematurely. Now for his sake, I hope that he has found the change positively.

 

If a legitimate move of the family is involved, it shouldn't be a problem. You just have to apply and be determined eligible, and the previous school not contest it. The key would be to not tell the newspaper he was changing for athletic purposes. :D

If a legitimate move of the family is involved, it shouldn't be a problem. You just have to apply and be determined eligible, and the previous school not contest it. The key would be to not tell the newspaper he was changing for athletic purposes. :D

 

Surely it can't be as easy as checking a box on a form. Doesn't the KHSAA look into each case? I just don't see how it passes the smell test to move to your in-laws house and not have sold your house and still have kids in the original school system. Is the KHSAA that short-handed?

I don’t think it is up to a 17 year old minor to transfer to any school he or she pleases, it is up to the parents / guardian of that child. And maybe the parents thought that after his experience at the previous school that he needed a place of structure, discipline and religious guidance that a Catholic school provides? I know it is impossible for some of you to believe but sports are not the only things that parents look at when choosing a school.

I don’t think it is up to a 17 year old minor to transfer to any school he or she pleases, it is up to the parents / guardian of that child. And maybe the parents thought that after his experience at the previous school that he needed a place of structure, discipline and religious guidance that a Catholic school provides? I know it is impossible for some of you to believe but sports are not the only things that parents look at when choosing a school.

 

It's possible you are correct. However, if it wasn't about sports why did they move to the in-laws?

It's possible you are correct. However, if it wasn't about sports why did they move to the in-laws?

 

So you think that a family moved just so their son can play 1 year of baseball? There are 100 reasons why a family would move and 99 of them are nobody's business but the family's.

So you think that a family moved just so their son can play 1 year of baseball? There are 100 reasons why a family would move and 99 of them are nobody's business but the family's.

 

You didn't answer my question.

 

I will answer your question. Yes.

Surely it can't be as easy as checking a box on a form. Doesn't the KHSAA look into each case? I just don't see how it passes the smell test to move to your in-laws house and not have sold your house and still have kids in the original school system. Is the KHSAA that short-handed?

 

For the most part, it is. If the previous school doesn't contest it.

If this story was about a Highlands player .... The site would be blowing up with activity right now!

 

Whats your point? Are you trying to high jack this thread? HHS has done nothing this time but tell a kid to keep looking and good luck.

For the most part, it is. If the previous school doesn't contest it.

 

From my knowledge, and with all respect, you are wrong. The KHSAA doesn't take whether or not the prior school (aka the "sending school" in KHSAA-speak) contests eligibility or not. The KHSAA moved away from that years ago because low quality athletes that transferrred were not opposed by th sending schools but high quality athletes were. That resulted in differing results based on similar facts. Not where the KHSAA wants to be if it is to withstand arbitrary or capricious review by the judiciary.

From my knowledge, and with all respect, you are wrong. The KHSAA doesn't take whether or not the prior school (aka the "sending school" in KHSAA-speak) contests eligibility or not. The KHSAA moved away from that years ago because low quality athletes that transferrred were not opposed by th sending schools but high quality athletes were. That resulted in differing results based on similar facts. Not where the KHSAA wants to be if it is to withstand arbitrary or capricious review by the judiciary.

 

So they investigate every single move and transfer? If they do, they do so very quickly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.