June 16, 201115 yr Thoroughbird you are correct NCC took no risks. A family moves; they have to go to a public school that they live in or the private school. . The family moved? Aren't they living with in-laws in Boone County? Aren't his siblings still attending WV? Isn't there house still empty in Walton's district?
June 16, 201115 yr The author, Richard Skinner sent me this: "The story wasn't about him transferring it was about what he has done to help NCC reach the state quarterfinals, and he has certainly been a big part of that, especially with the fact he had the big hit on Tuesday and is pitching tonight. "I don't know the logistics of why he transferred, no one has raised a stink about it and the KHSAA approved the move so it's a done deal. To not at least address that he transferred would have been irresponsible, because he indeed did transfer, and that's all I did. Everyone else can debate the merits of it, the logistics of it, etc., but if he's eligible per the KHSAA, then he's eligible, and he's had a great season."
June 16, 201115 yr Let me re state as I do not have a problem with Richard Skinner at all and he has been more than gracious to me over the years with articles, etc. I said the transferring was misleading in the article and I meant that the quote by Vance convoluted the transfer issue as if he was being talked into it by a summer teammate vs them moving. I did NOT mean to say anything was malicious by the writer. I just felt that quote made the whole thing seem messier than it should particularly for those looking for something wrong in this case.
June 16, 201115 yr The family moved? Aren't they living with in-laws in Boone County? Aren't his siblings still attending WV? Isn't there house still empty in Walton's district? It says in the article they moved out of the district. At that point he must attend the public school in the district he lives or a private school. I am not sure where they moved to and it is none of my business. He moved he is eligible like any other student/athlete that moves. And there is no stipulation that your house has to be sold or rented to be eligible. The fact that the house is empty only means they moved.
June 16, 201115 yr It says in the article they moved out of the district. At that point he must attend the public school in the district he lives or a private school. I am not sure where they moved to and it is none of my business. He moved he is eligible like any other student/athlete that moves. And there is no stipulation that your house has to be sold or rented to be eligible. The fact that the house is empty only means they moved. The family moved to a new district but kept their children in the old district. That seems unusual.
June 16, 201115 yr I am baffled by those who have issues with the writer. As I am also Clyde. Skinny is a great guy and does his best to cover NKy sports as both Marc Hardin and Skinny have real jobs and reporting for NKy.com is only a part time job for both.
June 16, 201115 yr It is America you have the personal choice to do so....................No eligibilty issues with non high school age students. You cannot move and keep your child playing a sport "in the old district." That player would be ineligible immediately upon them residing outside that public school district.
June 16, 201115 yr I am baffled by those who have issues with the writer. Just to be clear--I have no issue with the writer. I find him to have done a good job--good story telling, good reporting, etc. I think he's fair and put together a good article. I hope that my previous posts do not indicate otherwise.
June 16, 201115 yr It says in the article they moved out of the district. At that point he must attend the public school in the district he lives or a private school. I am not sure where they moved to and it is none of my business. He moved he is eligible like any other student/athlete that moves. And there is no stipulation that your house has to be sold or rented to be eligible. The fact that the house is empty only means they moved.I know of one family from about 7 years ago, who moved next to me, would tell you this is not the case.
June 16, 201115 yr The author, Richard Skinner sent me this: "The story wasn't about him transferring it was about what he has done to help NCC reach the state quarterfinals, and he has certainly been a big part of that, especially with the fact he had the big hit on Tuesday and is pitching tonight. "I don't know the logistics of why he transferred, no one has raised a stink about it and the KHSAA approved the move so it's a done deal. To not at least address that he transferred would have been irresponsible, because he indeed did transfer, and that's all I did. Everyone else can debate the merits of it, the logistics of it, etc., but if he's eligible per the KHSAA, then he's eligible, and he's had a great season." I have a hard time believing he has no idea why he transferred.
June 16, 201115 yr Sounds to me like a lot of people have inside info into the real reason for his move.
June 16, 201115 yr OK, I said I would not post again but I will ... but only to comment on Skinner, not to comment on Sullivan and why or why not he transferred. I like Skinner a lot. He is a good guy and I am glad he is covering N. Ky. because no one knows the area as well as him. My opinion on this is in reference to this article and not meant as any kind of slam of Skinner. Sorry if my comments offended him but my opinion about this article has not changed. We all make mistakes. IMO he made a mistake on this one. He should not have mentioned anything about transferring nor included the quote about transferring and it has nothing to do with KHSAA rules. Let me say that again - my comment that this is poor journalism has nothing, I repeat NOTHING, to do with any KHSAA related issues. I am confident this transfer was thoroughly reviewed and approved by the KHSAA. However, if you are going to get into why Sullivan transferred as Skinner did by including the quote, then IMO it is irresponsible to give one fraction of the real story and "mislead" the reader about why he is playing at NCC. He could have talked about the season Sullivan had without mentioning anything about why he transferred. Thoroughbird did a very nice job in post #10 so look there and read between the lines to see where I am coming from. I am not getting into the real story any further than that. I just wanted to clarify that my comments have nothing to do with the legality of the transfer pursuant to KHSAA rules.
June 16, 201115 yr Sports guy based on your location I am positive I know which case you are talking about and there was a whole lot more to it than that. PM me if you want to discuss further.
June 16, 201115 yr VofR that was my point. The article becomes convoluted and loses the focus of a good kid having a good season and becomes something that questions the transfer, etc.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.