Shaq Retires ...On Twitter

Shaq was great but didn't take proper care of his body and as a result he lost about 5 years of NBA time in which he could have easily been labeled the best center of all time, with no debate.

Wilt Chamberlin, Bill Russell and Jabbar holds that title imo. I would throw Karl Malone in there as well. Shaq belongs in the discusion but was not the best. jmo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilt Chamberlin, Bill Russell and Jabbar holds that title imo. I would throw Karl Malone in there as well. Shaq belongs in the discusion but was not the best. jmo

Malone wasn't a center...Shaq was the most dominate big man of all-time. Probably somewhere in the top 5 centers to ever play.

Malone wasn't a center...Shaq was the most dominate big man of all-time. Probably somewhere in the top 5 centers to ever play.

I'll pobably agree about Malone but Shaq more dominant than Wilt Chamberlin? I don't know how old you are but no way he is close to Wilt as far as being dominating. Bill Russell was right there with them as well. When you say all time that means all time, no one was remotely close to Wilt, B. Russell came as close as anyone.

You have your opinion though.

Hakeem was the better defender (not even close), rebounder, and shooter. Shaq was a more daunting presence that lacked a motor 100% of the time. Could have been all of those things and then some. Interesting that Shaq never led the league in rebounds.

I agree completely, especially from a defensive standpoint.

For the guys that put Kareem in the top tier, and Shaq in the 2nd tier what do you guys think separates the two? Kareem was an all-time great, but I given the choice of starting my own team I'd personally take Shaq without question or reservation. I think if the two matched up in their primes Shaq would have his way. To be honest with you I'm not even sure that Shaq wasn't better than Russell, as blasphemous as that sounds. Shaq on those Celtics teams and they win the same amount of titles IMO, and Shaq would have put up better numbers than he did in the present time. I rank Russell ahead of Shaq, but I would have loved to have seen the matchup.

Also my post above is not just me being young, or at least I don't think it is. I enjoy NBA history as much as anyone, 2 of my 4 favorite players of all-time are guys that didn't even play in my lifetime in The Big O and Pistol Pete. But I do think if Shaq would have played in the 60s he would have a Babe Ruth type persona now.

Anyone else hoping that TNT hires Shaq? He could replace CWebb. Shaq, Barkley, Kenny, and Ernie would be awesome IMO. Best way to make the best NBA show better. Watching that would be better than watching most of the regular season games that are on I think.

Anyone else hoping that TNT hires Shaq? He could replace CWebb. Shaq, Barkley, Kenny, and Ernie would be awesome IMO. Best way to make the best NBA show better. Watching that would be better than watching most of the regular season games that are on I think.

I have wondered about that. I know he has mentioned the cop thing but difficulty in going undercover :lol: Be honest I have never heard him give much analysis of anything basketball related. He is certainly a draw wherever it may be.

For the guys that put Kareem in the top tier, and Shaq in the 2nd tier what do you guys think separates the two? Kareem was an all-time great, but I given the choice of starting my own team I'd personally take Shaq without question or reservation. I think if the two matched up in their primes Shaq would have his way. To be honest with you I'm not even sure that Shaq wasn't better than Russell, as blasphemous as that sounds. Shaq on those Celtics teams and they win the same amount of titles IMO, and Shaq would have put up better numbers than he did in the present time. I rank Russell ahead of Shaq, but I would have loved to have seen the matchup.

Finesse vs power, Kareem had the most lethal weapon in the history of the NBA. He's also much better from the stripe which means I don't have to worry about him being a crutch down the stretch of a tight game.

Finesse vs power, Kareem had the most lethal weapon in the history of the NBA. He's also much better from the stripe which means I don't have to worry about him being a crutch down the stretch of a tight game.

Good point, which is what I believe separates them as well.

Shaq AND Barkley? No thanks, one buffoon at a time please.

I am a huge fan of Webber, who tends to have insight into the game on a larger level than either Smith or Barkley, both of whom I love. I really like the chemistry they've got going on Inside the NBA as it is and I hope they don't do anything to mess it up.

As for ESPN, yeah take him. ESPN's studio show isn't very good. Maybe they can get rid of Berry or Wilbon. While we're at it, let's get rid of Stuart Scott as well.

Shaq AND Barkley? No thanks, one buffoon at a time please.

I am a huge fan of Webber, who tends to have insight into the game on a larger level than either Smith or Barkley, both of whom I love. I really like the chemistry they've got going on Inside the NBA as it is and I hope they don't do anything to mess it up.

As for ESPN, yeah take him. ESPN's studio show isn't very good. Maybe they can get rid of Berry or Wilbon. While we're at it, let's get rid of Stuart Scott as well.

I agree with the TNT part. I like ESPN's show but not as much as TNT's. I like Wilbon and Barry so I say add Shaq to them. Stuart Scott is fine too. He is too sympathetic a figure right now to replace. If NFL Countdown can have 4-5 guys there is no reason the NBA show can't.