Shaq Retires ...On Twitter

For the guys that put Kareem in the top tier, and Shaq in the 2nd tier what do you guys think separates the two? Kareem was an all-time great, but I given the choice of starting my own team I'd personally take Shaq without question or reservation. I think if the two matched up in their primes Shaq would have his way. To be honest with you I'm not even sure that Shaq wasn't better than Russell, as blasphemous as that sounds. Shaq on those Celtics teams and they win the same amount of titles IMO, and Shaq would have put up better numbers than he did in the present time. I rank Russell ahead of Shaq, but I would have loved to have seen the matchup.
As for me that would be a tough comparison to make. Men like Shaq and Chamberlin were what I call "power" centers. Jabbar,Russell and guys like Tim Duncan are what I would call "finesse" centers in that they imo moved better and had a better shot from mid range (example - Jabbar's sky hook, Russell could also move away from the basket mid range). Russell imo was a combination of both. Also, Bill Russell had more championship than any of them I believe. I know the game was somewhat different then but when you get right down to it all were winners and one championship is not more valuble or more worthy than another. Personally, I would go Wilt,Russell very close at #1 with Wilt with te edge. Shaq and Jabbar come next depending on if someone wants to rank a power center over a finesse type center. Lets face it, a person wouldn't be wrong going with any of these top 4 or 5.

btw- I was using the Duncan reference as an example of what I would call finesse type centers, not that he was better than the others mentioned.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My twitter feed is saying Shaq will join TNT. I don't have a link. I hope he is just an addition and that no one is let go from the show.

I'm right there with you on that. I think the TNT guys do a great job and adding a personality as big as Shaq's will only increase their popularity IMO.

It will be at the expense of Chris Weber which sucks.

I agree. He seemed to be the Voice of Reason for TNT and he always has great logic and stats to back up his arguments. I was surprised at how good he was on camera. Maybe not as funny as Charles and Kenny, but an asset to the show nonetheless. Plus, I am a big Webber fan.

I agree. He seemed to be the Voice of Reason for TNT and he always has great logic and stats to back up his arguments. I was surprised at how good he was on camera. Maybe not as funny as Charles and Kenny, but an asset to the show nonetheless. Plus, I am a big Webber fan.

I think Shaq will be good but you don't need 2 guys like Shaq and Chuck. Weber was a good mix for them IMO.

Poor move by TNT.

I've been a guy who has wanted this since Shaq announced he was retiring. I didn't care if CWebb was still there or not. The show was great before Webber and will continue to be. Its been the best basketball show on TV for a while IMO, I think they know what they're doing.

I will say this though: Shaq has to annunciate. The mumble crap just isn't going to cut it on there. It was one of the reasons I really didn't think CWebb added much. I was a huge Webber fan when he played and I think he knows alot about the game, he just didn't seem comfortable on the screen to me.