Newport Central Catholic 50 Boone 40

I was speaking in general terms about the ability of Coach Dawn. Obviously, Coach Fookes knows a thing or two about basketball as well.

You can't go wrong with either. I just think Dawn has a slight edge.

I agree. Both obviously are among the very best around. Right now the head-to-head is Fookes 4 - Dawn 1 in the three seasons they've gone against one another.

Someone pointed out to me today that yesterday's win was Coach Dawn's first against Boone County girls and Fookes. Who knows how it will go from here.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe the 7th and the 9th Regions are by far the toughest in the State. Do they win more State Championships? No, but the winnwrs of these Regions have been battle tested and a lot of times, beaten up by the time they make the State Tournament. Hopefully the Lady Breds can get pumped back up and make a serious run. I believe they are as capable as Marion Co., Rockcastle County or Manual of winning it all.

Thanks for some perspective. More truth in your post than is actually known. I also wonder how many of the posters here are 100% at their jobs every day.

It's tough when you're close to a player to sit back and not respond to some of the type things being said in this thread, but I've been toughened to it over the years. My best-approach take is that some people just don't think about what they are saying sometimes. My worst-approach take would probably get me banned!

I hope that your "best-approach" take is accurate. I would hate to think that people would post on BGP just to say unkind things about high school kids. Miss Moss showed nothing but class following the game. My daughter even mentioned that they were having a very amusing conversation during The All Tournament Trophy Presentations. NewCath had a great game plan to try to contest everyone of her shots. Sometimes the ball just doesn't drop through the basket. It happens at all levels of play. I look forward to seeing my daughter compete with Miss Moss for one more season.

I still believe the 7th and the 9th Regions are by far the toughest in the State. Do they win more State Championships? No, but the winnwrs of these Regions have been battle tested and a lot of times, beaten up by the time they make the State Tournament. Hopefully the Lady Breds can get pumped back up and make a serious run. I believe they are as capable as Marion Co., Rockcastle County or Manual of winning it all.

I agree with you shock.....NCC can make a serious run!

The program through the previous 10 years before Ron took over won 5 All"A" regionals, went to the All A finals once and semi-finals 3 other times. They also won 2 regional titles. Doesn't sound like a program that was really down. No question Ron has done a great job, but the program was really turned around about 14 years ago.

I agree 100% NCC girls have been tough for a long time. They were pretty good when Ron Dawn was coaching the boys program. Whatever happened to the old NCC coach? Her name escapes me now but I always liked her and thought she did an OK job at NCC.

I agree 100% NCC girls have been tough for a long time. They were pretty good when Ron Dawn was coaching the boys program. Whatever happened to the old NCC coach? Her name escapes me now but I always liked her and thought she did an OK job at NCC.
MacDonald maybe??

Calloway has a crazy record and hasn't lost to a KY team all season. Are they in a weak district/region with a weak schedule or are they a legit powerhouse? any clue?

Ya can't under estimate what it means to have an experienced leader at the PG position on the big stage. Boone has had that luxury over the past several years. Jones will get there, but for now she really needs to develop her shot because her defender just sits back in the paint and clogs up the middle.

I made the exact statement on Friday night at their game. She doesn't even need to develop a three-point shot. Just a simple 15 ft. jumper from the free throw line and that would help open up the court so much more. Her defender can practically sit under the basket currently.

Christy MacDonald did coach prior to Ronny. Not sure how long she coached though.

I was doing some research and actually found a 2007 thread on BGP that said Christie McDonald coached 12 seasons at NCC, won 216 games over that period, and had a 200-98 record the last 10 years of her tenure. She won 5 "All A" ninth regions and appeared in 3 All A" Title games (I assumed runner-ups each time), and won 2 Ninth region titles to go to the Sweet 16.

Also found she is an '87 grad and was inducted into the NCC HOF in 2001 and was the daughter of another NCC HOFamer, Tom Freppon, who was a '60 grad and played basketball at Xavier. Tom is also a member of the NKY Sports HOF and officiated HS BB for 36 years. Interesting stuff!

Calloway has a crazy record and hasn't lost to a KY team all season. Are they in a weak district/region with a weak schedule or are they a legit powerhouse? any clue?

I've heard that Region 1 is typically not that strong but I don't know for sure. But I do know they have 6-0 Averee Fields who is going to West Virginia University on scholarship and she has really good numbers at 23.5 PPG and 13.1 RPG. I've seen some short film clips on Fields and she appears to be really solid.

They have just one other double figure scorer in 5-4 guard Taylor Futrell so between Fields and Futrell they account for about 55% of Calloway County's scoring. I like the chances that Coach Dawn will find a way to somewhat limit Fields contribution and I think that will give NCC an excellent shot at a win.

I've heard that Region 1 is typically not that strong but I don't know for sure. But I do know they have 6-0 Averee Fields who is going to West Virginia University on scholarship and she has really good numbers at 23.5 PPG and 13.1 RPG. I've seen some short film clips on Fields and she appears to be really solid.

They have just one other double figure scorer in 5-4 guard Taylor Futrell so between Fields and Futrell they account for about 55% of Calloway County's scoring. I like the chances that Coach Dawn will find a way to somewhat limit Fields contribution and I think that will give NCC an excellent shot at a win.

Thanks Frank. I imagine since the 9th played on Sunday the Calloway foks got the unfair advantage of scouting that game in person. Oh well, kids still hve to execute regardless of the scouting report.

Their 6 foot center is legit. She accounts for 36% of their offense. Not sure who backs her up though.