Newport Central Catholic 50 Boone 40

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud and happy for NCC. IMO Syd Moss is the best girls player I have seen since Donna Murphy. She is also polite and has always shown good sportsmenship in all of my contacts with her.

Have you seen Rebecca Greenwell play???

Have you seen Rebecca Greenwell play???

I have, and yes she is a special talent. I believe OC is a very fine and capable team but I dont remember if she has a supporting cast or not. Oh yeah, and even the greatest KY girls bb player ever could only get a runner-up title game at Highlands. RD will have a nice game plan in place for Greenwell. Good Luck Breds.

I was doing some research and actually found a 2007 thread on BGP that said Christie McDonald coached 12 seasons at NCC, won 216 games over that period, and had a 200-98 record the last 10 years of her tenure. She won 5 "All A" ninth regions and appeared in 3 All A" Title games (I assumed runner-ups each time), and won 2 Ninth region titles to go to the Sweet 16.

Also found she is an '87 grad and was inducted into the NCC HOF in 2001 and was the daughter of another NCC HOFamer, Tom Freppon, who was a '60 grad and played basketball at Xavier. Tom is also a member of the NKY Sports HOF and officiated HS BB for 36 years. Interesting stuff!

And I don't believe she left as the coach of NCC on her own accord. She was a very very good coach and well respected in the coaching community. In my opinion, she got more out of her less talented teams than most would in NKY. I don't know if she would have won the 9th region this year or not, however, I believe she would have had her team right there. Not taking anything away from Coach Dawn at all, I think they are both very good coaches, I just don't think the way things ended for Coach McDonald was handled in the best way. If I recall correctly, I believe there were some parents involved that had the administrations ear during that time. However, that is all water under the bridge at this point.

Congrats NCC and good luck at state!

And I don't believe she left as the coach of NCC on her own accord. She was a very very good coach and well respected in the coaching community. In my opinion, she got more out of her less talented teams than most would in NKY. I don't know if she would have won the 9th region this year or not, however, I believe she would have had her team right there. Not taking anything away from Coach Dawn at all, I think they are both very good coaches, I just don't think the way things ended for Coach McDonald was handled in the best way. If I recall correctly, I believe there were some parents involved that had the administrations ear during that time. However, that is all water under the bridge at this point.

Congrats NCC and good luck at state!

Things happen for a reason. In this case, a real good reason. Good Luck Breds.

Just thinking out loud here, but could one imagine Coach Dawn with 10 plus yrs under his belt at the Girls level. Nell Who? WOW!!!!!!

Just thinking out loud here, but could one imagine Coach Dawn with 10 plus yrs under his belt at the Girls level. Nell Who? WOW!!!!!!

Yeah, with another six years of so of coaching girls Coach Dawn might be better than 1-5 with an average minus 8 points per game margin against "Nell Who?"! You do realize last Sunday was his FIRST win in his four years as NCC Girls coach against Nell?!?!?

Just teasing a bit because I think Coach Dawn is excellent and also think he won the battle last Sunday with his game plan and his ability to get his players to execute that plan to near perfection. Does help to have those three senior ball handlers on the floor! Also, I don't see any difference in coaching boys or girls in terms of the experience you gain. I did both in youth sports for a bunch of years and I think it all applied for me.

But what Coach Fookes has accomplished at Boone County is remarkable and will be difficult for anyone to match going forward. And it's likely the Fookes-Dawn battles will not be around for much longer so we should all enjoy them while we can.

Good luck to Coach Dawn and his girls today at BG!

Yeah, with another six years of so of coaching girls Coach Dawn might be better than 1-5 with an average minus 8 points per game margin against "Nell Who?"! You do realize last Sunday was his FIRST win in his four years as NCC Girls coach against Nell?!?!?

Just teasing a bit because I think Coach Dawn is excellent and also think he won the battle last Sunday with his game plan and his ability to get his players to execute that plan to near perfection. Does help to have those three senior ball handlers on the floor! Also, I don't see any difference in coaching boys or girls in terms of the experience you gain. I did both in youth sports for a bunch of years and I think it all applied for me.

But what Coach Fookes has accomplished at Boone County is remarkable and will be difficult for anyone to match going forward. And it's likely the Fookes-Dawn battles will not be around for much longer so we should all enjoy them while we can.

Good luck to Coach Dawn and his girls today at BG!

Why do you say Fookes/Dawn battles will not be around much longer? Is one of them leaving? Please explain...

Edited by Bearcat Slam

I disagree as WVFrank points out Coach Dawn's record against Nell since he took over, however, that's why BGP's is so great.... everyone is free to express their own opinions. :thumb:

Good Luck Breds!

Why do you say Fookes/Dawn battles will not be around much longer? Is one of them leaving? Please explain...

I have no, absolutely none, inside information but I'm just guessing that after 26 years as head coach at Boone, on top of six, I believe, years at EKU as an assistant, that Coach Fookes might just be looking to slow down a bit. Second son graduates from Boone this year and perhaps she will look to hand over the reigns to someone else.

Again, supposition on my part and perhaps totally wrong. Some don't give up easily. Look at me I'm......mumble, mumble......years old and I'm still working!