Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 3A Final: Bowling Green/Lexington Catholic discussion

Who wins the 3A State Title? 218 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 3A State Title?

    • Bowling Green
      54%
    • Lexington Catholic
      45%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I dont beleive that the purples of bowling green will be any match for lexington catholic as far as athleticism is concerned.
You haven't seen Bowling Green, have you?
  • Replies 64
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be quite honest with everyone, lexington catholic has the best offense i have ever seen. They execute well, they have the best quarterback in the state as well as top 5 in the nation, they have an underestimated line and there skill players are amazing. This is not the best lexington catholic team of all time in my opinion, but easily the best offense. I dont beleive that the purples of bowling green will be any match for lexington catholic as far as athleticism is concerned. I am not taking away from the fact that they have talent, because they do. However i dont know that the talent they have will be able to shut down catholics high powered offense.

 

No disrespect intended, but if LexCath has the offense you have ever seen you haven't seen much football. They are a very good and talented group but I doubt that they stack up too well against the likes of 98' Highlands, 2000 Highlands, 2000 Male, 01' Trinity, 02' Trinity, and thats just off the top of my head. I agree that Burke is the best QB in the state this year, but where is he ranked in the top five nationally? Not saying he isn't, just saying I haven't seen him that high. I haven't seen BG this year but a few guys that aren't easily impressed told me that BG was impressive from a athleticism and speed standpoint. Should be a great game, a real "unstoppable force vs. immovable object" classic.

I think BG's defense wins this one.

BG 24

LC 17

This game goes to Bowling Green, I have seen better Lexington Catholic teams in the past. History shows that LexCath has the 'ole monkey on their back which sometimes causes them to choke in a big game (and this is a big game). (No offense LexCath)

 

You accuse LexCath of choking in big games and then say, no offense is intended. Does this technique work well for you? If Bowling Green wins does it mean LexCath is better but choked? I don't think you are giving the Purples enough credit and certainly not LexCath. This is a very good LexCath team which has gone further than others because they were better than the competition this year. Beating the NKy champion to get this far requires an exceptional team. This year LexCath was a little better partly because of a general off year for NKy teams. I'm not sure this is LexCath's best team but they have accomplished more partly because of the afforementioned factors falling in place. If they beat Bowling Green it will be an upset not a choke as you imply. See the rankings and preditions on this thread.

I watched BG knock off Bullitt East like it was nothing...Way to go BG. Has #44 got any offers? If so, how many?

I look for a low scoring game between these two great teams, somewhere in the teens like a 17-14 or even a 14-13 in favor of BG, but could go either way. I wish I could there for this one, it's going to be a dandy of a game. Good luck to both teams.

Bowling Green is big, fast and athletic on both sides of the ball.

 

Most comments overlook the Bowling Green offense. Stuart Hines may be the #1 prospect on the Purples team as an OT.

 

Athletically there is no more talented team in the state than Hopkinsville. BG shut out the Tigers. Actually held them to negative yardage in the second half.

 

But above all else this Bowling Green team is the most focused high school team I have ever seen take the field. Since day one they have had one goal in mind...the 3A State Championship.

 

I think they get it Saturday.

I agree, most people overlook the offense. They are the third ranked 3A offense and rank first in scoring margin. Congratulations to all the guys who made one of the AP all state teams.

 

Macdon are you going to the game?

Athletically there is no more talented team in the state than Hopkinsville. BG shut out the Tigers. Actually held them to negative yardage in the second half.

 

There's some truth to that but this years Hopkinsville team wasn't blessed with the speed burners they've had in the past. Athletic yes but there is teams around that was more athletic than Hoptown. Without 2 of their top athletes Antwain Loving (Best Athlete in the school) and Brandon Ethridge Hoptown didn't have a burning deep threat. Thomas and Ladson had speed but Loving and Ethridge are burners.

 

 

I think that the ability of Burke to elude the pass rush and hit his WR's down field will hurt the BG defense. Their secondary is solid but you got some pick on areas back there. Hoptown was able to WR's open but Chris Thomas wasn't able to get the ball down the field or throw on the run. Plus more than the staff wanted he took it and ran. BG is tough to get outside on so they do a good job on the toss and quick pitch.

 

Offensively stop the vear and quick pitch and the BG offense is losing their 2 favorite plays. They'll pass out of the "I" look and like to send Hibbitt in motion out of the "I" Hibbitt in motion then 90% of the time it's a pass to Hibbitt.

 

BG is good at the skill positions but where they have had the advantage against some of their more quality opponents was in the Lines.

I have to agree that this is not the overall most talented Lexington Catholic Team. In their 15 years of having a football program and having witnessed most of those games first hand, I think the 2001 team was stronger and faster on both offense and defense. They had too many injuries affecting them in their regional final game. That's the breaks. That's football.

 

I'll go with Catholic in this one by 7.

I think that it's real funny how, when you think of the Purples, you automatically think of that magnificent defense. True, they have certainly earned all the attention they're getting. They've given up ONE TD pass all season (to Bullitt East last week, four yards!!). It is an incredible defense in this day and age of offensive football. But behind the scenes is an offense that'll blow by you if you overlook it. We managed to break a long scoring run against St X (51 yds by Avery Hibbitt), but it was the first substantial playing time for two soph QBs (Rondale McMillian and Trent Steelman), and that was it in that game. They've matured so much since then, and they've done a great job and pull for each other in the games...they define team play. I told all of the guys before the season began that focus was going to be tough for a whole season, but if you want it bad enough, you CAN do it. Coach Wallace and his staff have done a super job of attention to detail this year.

 

Whatever happens, BOTH squads have had magnificent seasons!! They're both deserving of congratulations for a job well done in 2005. :thumb:

 

Burke and Co. have their work cut out for them. The Purples starting DBs are augmented by some very capable backups as well. There isn't very much that four-year starters Bradley Barlow and Carlos Fugate haven't seen. But how long can Burke duck that quick and intense pass rush? If Brendan Nestor brings his A game to the fray, Burke may be wearing #44 on his back most of the game. Offensively, Hibbitt isn't the only weapon the Purples have. A glimpse of daylight is all Chris Reynolds needs to break a huge gain up the middle. Anthony Davis doesn't get the touches that Hibbitt and Reynolds get, but he's more than capable of being a force (three rushing TDs against Bullitt East, one went 60 yards). Put nine men in the box to stop the Purples' rumbling ground attack, and McMillian and/or Steelman are capable of hitting the receivers. They will surprise you.

 

I think that LexCath will score against the Purples. But I think that the Purples will score more and bring the 3A brass ring back home to Bowling Green for the first time since 1995. And regardless of who you picked to win, if you said that it may be the best game of the weekend, I am sure inclined to agree with you!

 

Circumstances are not going to allow us to come to the game, but we will sure have our ears glued to the jam box, so yell REAL loud for us!! No matter the outcome, I am so proud of my Purples I could bust!! :D:D

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow... I am sure both squads will represent 3A very well!

 

I have a feeling that a great game is in the cards, with Bowling Green coming out with the close win to take the crown.

As a Catholic who used to work for the Bowling Green School system (and who picked BG in the poll) I can say that a football purist should be looking forward to this game every bit as much as T vs. X

I take BG over LexCath.

 

BG 17

LexCath 3

 

BG has only allowed like 4 touchdowns all year. I say that is mighty impressive. I don't think LexCath's offensive scheme will even put a dent in BG's defense.

After listening to the T/X game on the radio, my observation is that it would be interesting (at the end of the year vs the beginning of the year) to see LexCath play X and Bowling Green play T. Could be a AAA sweep. :thumb:

After listening to the T/X game on the radio, my observation is that it would be interesting (at the end of the year vs the beginning of the year) to see LexCath play X and Bowling Green play T. Could be a AAA sweep. :thumb:

You're joking right?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.