Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Florida State 66 Duke 61

Featured Replies

And yet they'll be right there again come the final weekend of the year. Izzo's teams always are good, not great during the regular season, then turn it on when it counts in March.

 

Aren't Dean Smith and Bobby Knight the winningest coaches in the history of the game? They aren't anywhere close to being the best coaches of all-time. Just because Coach K has won a lot of games, doesn't mean he's automatically the best in the game. Great coach? Absolutely. Best in the game? Not in my eyes.

 

Coach K is about 23 wins away from being the all time winningest coach and I could be wrong but he has the same number of titles(4) that Knight and Smith have combined. The only coach I would consider better than K would be Wooden. Izzo.....not hardly.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And has also had infinitely more talented teams.

 

Part of coaching is being able to make that talent play and win together. Another part of coaching is convincing that talent to come to your school. With this sentence of yours Cal should have at least 3 titles. Who had more talent last year out of Duke, UK, Kansas and Michigan State? Who won the title?

Coach K is about 23 wins away from being the all time winningest coach and I could be wrong but he has the same number of titles(4) that Knight and Smith have combined. The only coach I would consider better than K would be Wooden. Izzo.....not hardly.

 

A Duke fan that thinks K is the best coach of all time, shocking.

 

I think K is definitely in the discussion but would take Izzo any day if I had to win one game.

Coach K is number 2 on the list behind Bobby Knight. He passed Rupp and Smith this year. I believe he has 883 wins. Knight has 902. Smith had 879. Rupp had 876. I think those numbers are correct.

Edited by PurplePride92

Izzo is better at the x's & o's IMO. But there's more to coaching than x's & o's, and in those categories, Krearaioraeonmsggsjiljweiopgjwiggwewski has the upper hand on everyone else in the business. Say what you want about him, but the guy has four titles & numerous final fours/runners up. And just recently, a gold medal to boot. As far as resumes go, I'm thinking only Wooden has one that is better.

A Duke fan that thinks K is the best coach of all time, shocking.

 

I think K is definitely in the discussion but would take Izzo any day if I had to win one game.

 

A non Duke fan picking someone other than Coach K.....shocking.

With the watered down product we have - by that I mean NCAA basketball - no team's path is not going to be significantly easier than the next.

 

In my lifetime, I don't know if I've ever seen college basketball as weak as it is this year. I thought it was poor last season, because there were only 4-6 solid teams. But this year, I'm not even seeing that.

Such a great coach wouldn't make excuses when they lose. We were a great team until KI got hurt, we can be a good team now.

Part of coaching is being able to make that talent play and win together. Another part of coaching is convincing that talent to come to your school. With this sentence of yours Cal should have at least 3 titles. Who had more talent last year out of Duke, UK, Kansas and Michigan State? Who won the title?

 

Please show me where I've ever said Cal was a great coach....I've never said it, because it isn't true. He's a great recruiter, but not on an elite level when it comes to in-game coaching and x's and o's IMO.

 

The most talented team almost never wins the title. Nothing earth-shattering about that revelation.

Coach K is about 23 wins away from being the all time winningest coach and I could be wrong but he has the same number of titles(4) that Knight and Smith have combined. The only coach I would consider better than K would be Wooden. Izzo.....not hardly.

 

Nope.

 

Knight won 3 titles at IU ('76, '81, '87).

 

Smith won 2 titles at UNC ('82, '93).

 

I don't have a doubt that K is probably in the top 5 all time coaches ever in College Basketball. :thumb:

Coach K is number 2 on the list behind Bobby Knight. He passed Rupp and Smith this year. I believe he has 883 wins. Knight has 902. Smith had 879. Rupp had 876. I think those numbers are correct.

 

Coach K and everyone else (including Wooden) is still well behind Rupp in winning percentage. Not sure of the updated numbers but I believe Coach K is still behind Dean Smith in winning percentage. Guess who the active leader is in winning percentage ...... answer at bottom .............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.... Roy Williams.

 

I believe number two in winning percentage among active coaches is Bo Ryan with Calipari nipping at his heels.

Please show me where I've ever said Cal was a great coach....I've never said it, because it isn't true. He's a great recruiter, but not on an elite level when it comes to in-game coaching and x's and o's IMO.

 

The most talented team almost never wins the title. Nothing earth-shattering about that revelation.

 

True. It happened last year.

 

Coach K is a good recruiter, Good players make coaches look good, and he's had a tremendous amount of great players over the years. Let Coach K swap teams with Auburn and see how far he goes this year.

A non Duke fan picking someone other than Coach K.....shocking.

 

Not the same thing. Fans are blinded by their loyalty to their team. Now if you said Duke hater I would agree. Not the case here. I couldn't care less about Duke. Don't care if they win, don't care if they lose. I do enjoy watching the Duke/UNC games just because college basketball doesn't get any better.

 

The fact that you can't even consider another option beyond K says it all.

True. It happened last year.

 

Coach K is a good recruiter, Good players make coaches look good, and he's had a tremendous amount of great players over the years. Let Coach K swap teams with Auburn and see how far he goes this year.

 

K also tends to the elite talent that stays around for more then 1 or 2 years.

I don't have a doubt that K is probably in the top 5 all time coaches ever in College Basketball. :thumb:

 

I'd say top 3, behind Wooden and even with Rupp.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.