Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Kentucky Basketball Fan, a Kentucky Football Fan, and Priest walk in to a Bar......

Featured Replies

......The basketball fan said, "basketball is king in Kentucky". The football fan said, "football is king in Kentucky", and the priest said, "look at the numbers".

 

Time for our yearly basketball/football debate. I am once again amazed at the numbers, or lack there of, of the fans at high school basketball games. People want to talk about the affinity that Kentucky has with basketball, but it's just not there. You can't find a seat at football games, and you can come in at half time of a basketball game and sit where ever you want.

 

Look at the number of football scholorships from Kentucky versus the number of basketball scholorships. I know there are more football scholorships, but if Kentucky is the basketball power that some think it is, you would think we would have some huge college recruits every year and a lot of them.

 

The "What's wrong with Highlands Basketball" thread gives even more fuel to the argument. There's nothing wrong with Highlands basketball, it's just basketball. You can't tell me that Highlands can have great success in football (while playing up two classes) but can't find a way to win in basketball.

 

All hail the Kentucky King: Football.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree with this.

I think it's apples and oranges. Football is ONE night per week and everyone knows it plus there are 10 games per year. Basketball is many nights per week and they play 25 games. Add in that many of the b-ball games are played on week nights vs football playing on weekends.

 

With that said I have been shocked over the last 5 to 10 years at how small the crowds are at many high school basketball games.

  • Author

I understand what you're saying Clyde, but with all do respect, that has been the argument for years and I just don't buy it. If Kentucky is supposed to be the "Mecca of Basketball" then no matter when games are played it looks like it would be a priority for the people of "Mecca" to attend the games.

 

Of course, the same argument could be made about football with regards to the weather conditions. Football is played in the extremes of hot and cold and still fills the bleachers up. Basketball is played in nice warm gyms, why wouldn't basketball have more attendance?

 

But, I am with you, I can't believe the low number of fans at basketball games no matter who the "King" is.

I agree football is king. It is a social event for the most part held at a pleasant weather time of year for the majority of the bluegrass. The women can go and not pay a lick of attention to the game and chat about their husbands, kids, etc. The kids can go and socialize and make it part of a date night, since the games are on the weekends. I am not so sure how many are really watching the football game, but at least they are present. Like Clyde said, many more games in hoops, and let's face it nowadays kids have homework, jobs, etc, so those weeknight games aren't so enthralling. Folks in Kentucky start getting interested in basketball in large numbers when the region tournaments roll around.

I understand what you're saying Clyde, but with all do respect, that has been the argument for years and I just don't buy it. If Kentucky is supposed to be the "Mecca of Basketball" then no matter when games are played it looks like it would be a priority for the people of "Mecca" to attend the games.

 

Of course, the same argument could be made about football with regards to the weather conditions. Football is played in the extremes of hot and cold and still fills the bleachers up. Basketball is played in nice warm gyms, why wouldn't basketball have more attendance?

 

But, I am with you, I can't believe the low number of fans at basketball games no matter who the "King" is.

 

I haven't seen the huge football crowds at every school on a consistent basis in NKY. Very rarely is it tough to find a seat even at schools that have the reputation of having great support including CCH.

I think it's apples and oranges. Football is ONE night per week and everyone knows it plus there are 10 games per year. Basketball is many nights per week and they play 25 games. Add in that many of the b-ball games are played on week nights vs football playing on weekends.

 

With that said I have been shocked over the last 5 to 10 years at how small the crowds are at many high school basketball games.

 

Even with that said, I know several schools here in central kentucky whose combined basketball gates of girls and boys (on average, 20-25 home games a year) do not equal the gate that 5 home football games bring in.

 

Great post Ram.

I agree football is king. It is a social event for the most part held at a pleasant weather time of year for the majority of the bluegrass. The women can go and not pay a lick of attention to the game and chat about their husbands, kids, etc. The kids can go and socialize and make it part of a date night, since the games are on the weekends. I am not so sure how many are really watching the football game, but at least they are present. Like Clyde said, many more games in hoops, and let's face it nowadays kids have homework, jobs, etc, so those weeknight games aren't so enthralling. Folks in Kentucky start getting interested in basketball in large numbers when the region tournaments roll around.

 

I couldn't agree more, and as a matter of fact, even though it pains me somewhat to say this, Region Finals in KY boys basketball are very live atmospheres; just as lively as region finals in football.

 

I've always looked at it like this, the regular season in football seems to mean more to people, whereas the post season for both basketball and football seem to be fairly equal. Regardless, that still gives football the edge IMO.

  • Author
Even with that said, I know several schools here in central Kentucky whose combined basketball gates of girls and boys (on average, 20-25 home games a year) do not equal the gate that 5 home football games bring in.

 

Great post Ram.

 

Exactly what I was thinking. I would say a lot of schools make more money on 5 home games in football then they do in 20 plus basketball games.

 

I also agree with History, football games seem to be a social event in many communities, everyone wants to come and be part of it.

......The basketball fan said, "basketball is king in Kentucky". The football fan said, "football is king in Kentucky", and the priest said, "look at the numbers".

 

Time for our yearly basketball/football debate. I am once again amazed at the numbers, or lack there of, of the fans at high school basketball games. People want to talk about the affinity that Kentucky has with basketball, but it's just not there. You can't find a seat at football games, and you can come in at half time of a basketball game and sit where ever you want.

 

Look at the number of football scholorships from Kentucky versus the number of basketball scholorships. I know there are more football scholorships, but if Kentucky is the basketball power that some think it is, you would think we would have some huge college recruits every year and a lot of them.

 

The "What's wrong with Highlands Basketball" thread gives even more fuel to the argument. There's nothing wrong with Highlands basketball, it's just basketball. You can't tell me that Highlands can have great success in football (while playing up two classes) but can't find a way to win in basketball.

 

All hail the Kentucky King: Football.

Maybe they need to work harder. :cool:
  • Author
Maybe they need to work harder. :cool:

:lol:

Now you've done it, we're going to get lectured, you know they have no sense of humor.

Edited by Ram

:lol:

Now you've done it, we're going to lectured, you know they have no sense of humor.

 

Hahaha!

The notion that KY is a basketball state really is based on UK being a basketball university in a state with no pro sport. Serious bball development these days occurs in AAU & club teams, just like soccer & v-ball. Some schools still maintain strong HS bball traditions and they will continue to do so. Indiana is light years ahead of Ky in youth / HS bball because of highly developed AAU & club leagues. HS will remain the bastion for prep football because other avenues simply are not practical.

With the exception of this year's 4A final I usually see more people in attendance at Rupp Arena for the whole Sweet 16 than I do at any of the football finals. But like you said I see more people at regular season football games than I do at regular season basketball games.

This is a great topic. Kentucky should no longer be called the basketball state. Between UK and Louisville, they've been to maybe one final four in 12 years. The popularity of football is growing in the state of Kentucky, look how many new programs have begun in the last 5-10 years. It is the most popular sport to watch on television and is the American "present time".

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.