Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC # 345 out of 345 D1 Basketball Teams in Strength of Schedule

Featured Replies

Those two statements simply don't go together. Conference games were almost always teams UC should beat handily.

 

Huggs got about 10K a game. Part because the opponents were often weak, and part because the 2nd deck of the arena was an awful spot to watch a game. Mick has averaged between 7-9K a season and that will not change until they win more. Nor will the fact watching a game from 30% of the seats in the arena is still a horrible place to watch a game...

 

I guess I should've phrased it a little better. I was simply trying to point out that the house was almost always full when Huggs was there, regardless of the competition..

 

As far as the arena goes, what are the chances UC gets a new one in the near future?

  • Replies 73
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the arena goes, what are the chances UC gets a new one in the near future?

 

Slim and none. Slim just left.

I guess I should've phrased it a little better. I was simply trying to point out that the house was almost always full when Huggs was there, regardless of the competition..

 

And that's where you are wrong. It was full for the big games, but for the most part 3K seats were left open on average even under Huggs. The upper corner spots are awful and aren't going to fill on a regular basis no matter how good the team is playing...

Maybe I can help Walter here. I have attended games both in the Huggins era, and the Cronin era. Let's just say the atmosphere presently wanes in comparison to the Huggins era. Used to be fun to go to the "Shoe", now I turn down freebies to the "box". Wonder if they'll ever get it back?

Maybe I can help Walter here. I have attended games both in the Huggins era, and the Cronin era. Let's just say the atmosphere presently wanes in comparison to the Huggins era. Used to be fun to go to the "Shoe", now I turn down freebies to the "box". Wonder if they'll ever get it back?

 

I think they can. I just don't believe it will be with Mick on the sideline - fair or unfair.

Let's talk about that schedule shall we?

 

 

 

No one is going to suggest that the Bearcats face a brutal non-conference slate this year. But is it really drastically different from the rest of the Big East? And more importantly, what does it mean?

 

 

 

Here's a highly unscientific look at every team in the Big East and what I consider to be their tough* non-league games.

 

 

 

(By tough, I'm going with opponents from major conferences or teams that are traditionally good. Some of them are probably not so good this year, and I'm sure I've left out a few small conference schools that have solid teams. I have included mid-majors like Cleveland State, Oakland, Drexel, and St. Mary's that appear to be strong.)

 

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/2010/12/how-soft-is-the-schedule-and-what-does-it-mean.html

Let's talk about that schedule shall we?

 

 

 

No one is going to suggest that the Bearcats face a brutal non-conference slate this year. But is it really drastically different from the rest of the Big East? And more importantly, what does it mean?

 

 

 

Here's a highly unscientific look at every team in the Big East and what I consider to be their tough* non-league games.

 

 

 

(By tough, I'm going with opponents from major conferences or teams that are traditionally good. Some of them are probably not so good this year, and I'm sure I've left out a few small conference schools that have solid teams. I have included mid-majors like Cleveland State, Oakland, Drexel, and St. Mary's that appear to be strong.)

 

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/2010/12/how-soft-is-the-schedule-and-what-does-it-mean.html

 

 

He does make a good point about the potential negative effect of hammering UD vs beating them in a close game.

 

My counterpoint to his contention that UC plays the same amount of "tough" non-conference opponents as other Big East teams is many of those do not need a tough OOC. They're not going to end up on the bubble like UC hopes to get to. If UC does make it to a "bubble team" status what could hurt them in the eyes of the committee is their non-conference schedule.

 

Directional schools have been fire for power teams like Georgetown when they were strong annually. Syracuse never left home for the month of December. It worked out because they were often "in" based on their performance.

 

We'll see.

He does make a good point about the potential negative effect of hammering UD vs beating them in a close game.

 

My counterpoint to his contention that UC plays the same amount of "tough" non-conference opponents as other Big East teams is many of those do not need a tough OOC. They're not going to end up on the bubble like UC hopes to get to. If UC does make it to a "bubble team" status what could hurt them in the eyes of the committee is their non-conference schedule.

 

Directional schools have been fire for power teams like Georgetown when they were strong annually. Syracuse never left home for the month of December. It worked out because they were often "in" based on their performance.

 

We'll see.

 

And with what was being replaced how likely is it that they would have lost any tougher tests as they got the new system figured out over the first 9 games? Does it really do that much good on the bubble to get beat by a team like Drexel or Oakland over beating Wright St and IPFW?

 

Going to Oklahoma and then Oxford will give a much better feel for where the team is before DePaul visits on Dec 28th...

And with what was being replaced how likely is it that they would have lost any tougher tests as they got the new system figured out over the first 9 games? Does it really do that much good on the bubble to get beat by a team like Drexel or Oakland over beating Wright St and IPFW?

 

Going to Oklahoma and then Oxford will give a much better feel for where the team is before DePaul visits on Dec 28th...

 

No to Drexel and Oakland. Yes to better teams than those two.

No to Drexel and Oakland. Yes to better teams than those two.

 

Such as? And how do you pull that off with a budget that is at best one of the smallest of any BCS school? They weren't in any pre season tournaments that boost RPI and the only game ESPN had a hand in was Oklahoma. That's the hand UC is dealt...

Such as? And how do you pull that off with a budget that is at best one of the smallest of any BCS school? They weren't in any pre season tournaments that boost RPI and the only game ESPN had a hand in was Oklahoma. That's the hand UC is dealt...

 

Tough spot for sure.

 

As far as budget are you saying UCs overall athletics budget is small or basketball budget?

 

I can't imagine b-ball is making a lot of money with having to pay a team to come there for a beating yet only 4,000 people are buying a ticket.

Schedule was set up easy early to get some time to work through replacing Vaughn and Stephenson. The one early test was Dayton on a neutral court, and Dayton isn't playing well. Not much you can do there. Oklahoma in OKC next weekend was the next big test, and they had to basically start over after the contract was signed. Miami in Oxford will be tough. Ask X. Last OOC game is X at the Shoe.

 

Funny thing is that even though they are ranked last in SOS now, they are projected to finish with the 59th toughest schedule by seasons end. That's life in the Big East. Not a single thing Mick can do if all of the tough OOC tests on the schedule have a down turn at the same time...

 

I knew gt would have the answer.

Tough spot for sure.

 

As far as budget are you saying UCs overall athletics budget is small or basketball budget?

 

I can't imagine b-ball is making a lot of money with having to pay a team to come there for a beating yet only 4,000 people are buying a ticket.

 

Overall budget is so far in the red it's sad. The facility upgrades required to get in the Big East are still on the books to a tune of over 20 million and the general fund will not absorb the debt. That means the athletic department is left to suffer and opperate at levels that would be weak in the MAC...

Overall budget is so far in the red it's sad. The facility upgrades required to get in the Big East are still on the books to a tune of over 20 million and the general fund will not absorb the debt. That means the athletic department is left to suffer and opperate at levels that would be weak in the MAC...

 

That would seem to put more pressure on Mick to have a good season to get the tickets sold.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.