Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 1A Coach of the Year

Featured Replies

Who should be considered for Class 1A Coach of the Year

 

Hazard's Mark Dixon and Mayfield's Joe Morris are obvious choices, leading their teams to 14-0 records and a berth in the state finals.

 

Who else deserves consideration?

 

Is the COY the coach of the team with the best record? Or do you look for something else when picking COY?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

A lot of the top names will get mentioned, but one that comes to mind for me who has done a heck of a good job is Walton Verona's Jeff Barth.

 

Coach Barth turned the WV program around from 2-8 in 2009 to 8-4 in 2010 in just the 3rd year of football for the school.

 

They had several nice victories and were one of the most improved teams in Class 1A.

I 2nd Walton Verona's Jeff Barth. I am not completely familiar with all the other 1A schools in other parts of the state. This was Walton's second year of District play ever. Walton was 2nd in their district and won a playoff game. Coming into the season they had never won against a District opponent. I would expect them to progress further next season in 2A.

Coach Barth

I'd say Fairviews coach would get a few votes as well as the Holy Cross coach. But, most likely it'll be the Hazard or Mayfield coach, although most folks had pegged these 2 to be where they're at, so, no big surprise, but, being undefeated probably is a little overachieving on both sides...

All are very deserving, but I 2nd what UKFball Fan said about Nathan McPeek of Fairview.

A lot of the top names will get mentioned, but one that comes to mind for me who has done a heck of a good job is Walton Verona's Jeff Barth.

 

Coach Barth turned the WV program around from 2-8 in 2009 to 8-4 in 2010 in just the 3rd year of football for the school.

 

They had several nice victories and were one of the most improved teams in Class 1A.

 

He was the coach when they went 2-8.. Good season @ WV, but not coach of the year.. Soft district and St. Mary's School for the Blind could beat Bracken Co. Had they beat Frankfort, maybe a different story.. They are better off in 2A I think, district is again quite easy and should be in the playoffs every year..

I may be alittle biased but Coach Jeff Barth from Walton Verona definitely deserves to be considered. For the above mentioned reasons and Walton had the one of the top ten teams in the state, all classes, in rushing offense.

  • Author
He was the coach when they went 2-8.. Good season @ WV, but not coach of the year.. Soft district and St. Mary's School for the Blind could beat Bracken Co. Had they beat Frankfort, maybe a different story.. They are better off in 2A I think, district is again quite easy and should be in the playoffs every year..
Does the fact he was the coach in 2009 diminish the job that staff has done in turning things around? For a team playing in its 2nd varsity district play ever, I think they have excelled.
Does the fact he was the coach in 2009 diminish the job that staff has done in turning things around? For a team playing in its 2nd varsity district play ever, I think they have excelled.

 

Agreed.

Does the fact he was the coach in 2009 diminish the job that staff has done in turning things around? For a team playing in its 2nd varsity district play ever, I think they have excelled.

 

I am pretty sure your original post insinuates that he came in and turned a 2-8 team to what it was this year. He was in charge in 2009, just making sure facts are straight Watusi. You of all people should understand that. Nobody said they didn't have a good year but their schedule was soft (don't care how long they have been playing).. You all put waaaay too much stock in the fact that the program is young, there have always been decent athletes in Walton and it was about time they added football. Wouldn't have mattered who the head coach was out there, they would have been successful with the talent that was coming up.

Edited by Watusi
Rule 5 Violation

  • Author
I am pretty sure your original post insinuates that he came in and turned a 2-8 team to what it was this year. He was in charge in 2009, just making sure facts are straight Watusi. You of all people should understand that. Nobody said they didn't have a good year but their schedule was soft (don't care how long they have been playing).. You all put waaaay too much stock in the fact that the program is young, there have always been decent athletes in Walton and it was about time they added football. Wouldn't have mattered who the head coach was out there, they would have been successful with the talent that was coming up.
I didn't intend to insinuate anything other than the WV program is headed in the right direction under Coach Barth's leadership and the season they had this year puts them way ahead of the expectations any reasonable person should have for them. If my post was misleading about that, then it wasn't meant to be.

 

Having decent athletes doesn't equate into a winning football team. We have a fundamental difference of opinion about what it takes to build a winning football team from scratch. I am not going to argue with you about it because we are pretty far apart in our thinking and I don't see any likely reconciliation will come from it.

What about Ray Graham? He comes in to LCA in July, after a head coach resigns who just won a state championship. Inherits a team that lost 17 seniors and 3 of them All-staters. Although everyone counted them out of the 1a race for most of the year he kept the team improving and was just seconds away from getting LCA back to the state championship game. I vote for Ray Graham.

I think Morris needs a plug, Mayfield graduated 75% of their total offense from a year ago and they never missed a beat. Well I guess we will find out if they never missed a beat Friday anyway

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.