Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beechwood 2010/2011

Featured Replies

What does Beechwood need to do to improve in 2010/2011? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood will be fairly big but slow this year. Expect Fangman to carry the load for the Tigers.

I think the tigers have a GREAT shot at winning the district. Watch out for this young team!

Any new players this year?

Maus and Nussbaum are sophomores that started last year and Fangman is a Sr who can score. I dont know about winning the district but they will battle. I dont think they can match Holmes' athleticism nor do they have anyone that can stop Thelen for CovCath. If they draw Holy Cross, that would be their best bet.

Maus and Nussbaum are sophomores that started last year and Fangman is a Sr who can score. I dont know about winning the district but they will battle. I dont think they can match Holmes' athleticism nor do they have anyone that can stop Thelen for CovCath. If they draw Holy Cross, that would be their best bet.

 

Well I think they could give Holmes a game and they could match up well with CCH with the size of Mckenzie, Maus and Cruise.

Any new players this year?

 

Mitch Mckenzie[6'6] Baker Prewitt[5'10] and Rj Estrella[5'9] will all be key to the tigers.

Mitch Mckenzie[6'6] Baker Prewitt[5'10] and Rj Estrella[5'9] will all be key to the tigers.

 

I thought McKenzie was soft last year as a frosh. Unless he has made a huge improvement I wouldnt expect him to be ready to step in as a starter but it is a small school where there isnt a ton of depth.

Maus and Nussbaum are sophomores that started last year and Fangman is a Sr who can score. I dont know about winning the district but they will battle. I dont think they can match Holmes' athleticism nor do they have anyone that can stop Thelen for CovCath. If they draw Holy Cross, that would be their best bet.

 

I agree with you.

 

Plus, they don't draw as it is a seeded district...which means most likely HC and Beechwood will not make it to the regional tourny .

This may be Shumate's best team since being at Beechwood. He does have depth ... if he knows how to use it. He has enough tools on the roster to match up with big teams and with fast teams. The only weakness may be outside shooting beyond Fangman. They are a little young but the young players have varsity experience. We will see how good a coach Shumate truly is this year. He has talked players into giving up other sports to focus on basketball only and many of the players have bought in with year round play. Personally, with the talent and year round play Shumate has going with this group, I expect a lot out of this team. I believe the pressure is on Shumate here and now to make some noise this year with this team. Yes, the district is perhaps tougher than ever with all three other district teams being very good this year but Shumate has no excuses IMO. This team should be good enough to be top 10 in N. Ky. and make the regional despite the tough district.

This may be Shumate's best team since being at Beechwood. He does have depth ... if he knows how to use it. He has enough tools on the roster to match up with big teams and with fast teams. The only weakness may be outside shooting beyond Fangman. They are a little young but the young players have varsity experience. We will see how good a coach Shumate truly is this year. He has talked players into giving up other sports to focus on basketball only and many of the players have bought in with year round play. Personally, with the talent and year round play Shumate has going with this group, I expect a lot out of this team. I believe the pressure is on Shumate here and now to make some noise this year with this team. Yes, the district is perhaps tougher than ever with all three other district teams being very good this year but Shumate has no excuses IMO. This team should be good enough to be top 10 in N. Ky. and make the regional despite the tough district.

 

Who are the kids that dont play other sports and play year round?

This may be Shumate's best team since being at Beechwood. He does have depth ... if he knows how to use it. He has enough tools on the roster to match up with big teams and with fast teams. The only weakness may be outside shooting beyond Fangman. They are a little young but the young players have varsity experience. We will see how good a coach Shumate truly is this year. He has talked players into giving up other sports to focus on basketball only and many of the players have bought in with year round play. Personally, with the talent and year round play Shumate has going with this group, I expect a lot out of this team. I believe the pressure is on Shumate here and now to make some noise this year with this team. Yes, the district is perhaps tougher than ever with all three other district teams being very good this year but Shumate has no excuses IMO. This team should be good enough to be top 10 in N. Ky. and make the regional despite the tough district.

 

Personally I will take the Romes/Beuttel Beechwood squad as being Shimates most talented team. I think Shumate is one of the top coaches in the region. Beechwood has been relevant in basketball since he has been there.

 

I think this team has all the parts to make a run in the district and regional this year. They are young but they have some size, good PG play and a shooter in Fangman. In most years a middle of the pack 9th Region team but in this years region with all of the parity Beechwood could make a run.

This may be Shumate's best team since being at Beechwood. He does have depth ... if he knows how to use it. He has enough tools on the roster to match up with big teams and with fast teams. The only weakness may be outside shooting beyond Fangman. They are a little young but the young players have varsity experience. We will see how good a coach Shumate truly is this year. He has talked players into giving up other sports to focus on basketball only and many of the players have bought in with year round play. Personally, with the talent and year round play Shumate has going with this group, I expect a lot out of this team. I believe the pressure is on Shumate here and now to make some noise this year with this team. Yes, the district is perhaps tougher than ever with all three other district teams being very good this year but Shumate has no excuses IMO. This team should be good enough to be top 10 in N. Ky. and make the regional despite the tough district.

 

Beechwood has been good since Shumate has been there. I don't think this season or team will reflect how good of a coach Rick Shumate is, he has already proven that he is a good coach. Remember this team is VERY young. Even though a couple of kids like Maus and Nussbaum played varsity they are still only Sophomores. I don't think there is any reason for Shumate to be under any pressure in Ft. Mitchell and he has nothing to prove.

Who are the kids that dont play other sports and play year round?

 

There are probably a half dozen or so that will be on this year's team that are basketball only. I wonder how Kyle Daniels feels about his basketball only career at Beechwood? I don't know. Maybe he feels great about it. But there is an example of a kid who gave up every other sport to play basketball and my guess is he may regret it. Again, maybe he doesn't regret it at all but at a small school like Beechwood, kids have opportunities to contribute in more than one sport and the sports teams need these kids to contribute to more than one sport. If the kid chooses to be one sport only, more power to him. But even as a freshman, who knows where an athlete's talents will best take him? I think the players should play everything they can and see where they are best suited as they mature.

 

To answer other posters as well, let there be no doubt that Shumate can coach. He has done a great job at Beechwood taking basketball toward the same level of competitiveness of the other main sports. I am not insinuating at all that he is in danger of losing his job or anything like that. My point is, he has raised the bar for his players and the results should reflect that.

Voice of reason you are way off base saying Coach Shumate has talked kids into giving up other sports, Period! Kyles decision to give up football was his and his alone. Not a single coach on Beechwoods basketball staff would ever tell a student athlete to give up another sport to focus on basketball. Get the facts striaght!

 

Yes the bar is raised at Beechwood for basketball, as it is in football, baseball, band, academics and anything else you can think of.

Edited by Gallopin Ghost
spelling

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.