Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Programs that win with Class (Where has that gone?).

Featured Replies

Why do teams that are winning by large margins, try to run up up the score?

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to cite any specific examples?

Whose job is it to call of the dogs? If the losing team won't pull its starters, why should the winning team do so and send in freshmen and JV players against a group of upset varsity players that have had their hats handed to them?

 

I've seen injuries and cheap shots associated with a losing team keeping their starters in.

 

Once the losing team starts subbing and concedes, then you pull your starters and go conservative. But not until then.

  • Author

Boyle Co up 35-0 with 2 min let trying to score or kicking and onsides kick at after the half up 28-0. You never saw that 7-10 years ago.

  • Author

There is a difference scoring with JV players and Varisity. I am not talking about that.

Whose job is it to call of the dogs? If the losing team won't pull its starters, why should the winning team do so and send in freshmen and JV players against a group of upset varsity players that have had their hats handed to them?

 

I've seen injuries and cheap shots associated with a losing team keeping their starters in.

 

Once the losing team starts subbing and concedes, then you pull your starters and go conservative. But not until then.

 

Are you serious. Why should a team that is getting beat up be the first to put their subs in against the winning teams Varsity players. This is the exact mental attitude that has eroded the sportsmanship in high school athletics. I predict within 5-10 years that there will be a large shortage of high school officials. Who would want to put in the many hours of meetings, rule study and travel for very little pay with all of the crazy parents and the many coaches that dont even know the difference in Friday night and Saturday or Sunday rules. Why would they want to continue trying to create a safe, fair playing field for two teams to engage in a great game where you learn so much more than how to win or lose. You tell me why!

The winning team should put in subs first. It is totally ridiculous to expect the losing team to put in subs. They are trying to get better and trying to have some success. Sometimes they are able to have success against the JV team. I have been on both sides of the fence. I am not going to complain if I am up and the other team leaves in the starters, at least I am in the situation where I can play JV players. There a lot of teams that love to run up the score and leave in varsity players, I'm not one of those guys. I really don't enjoy games in which my team embarrasses other teams. We are going to try to score but we are going to do it the right way. Play defense, kick off deep, run the ball.

The losing team should waive the white flag. Mix in the 1st and 2nd teamers after that.

I have a question. If Boyle County gets up big and then lays down and subs in the jv and freshman and then the losing team scores a few times to close the gap can the starters come back in or should we watch the game slip away?

 

In a few years Boyle County will not be as good as we are now. Feel free to return the favor. I won't come on here and cry about it.

 

I have also tried to make this clear for the last 3 weeks since this is the 3rd week in a row someone's feelings got hurt. It is about getting to the running clock and then you'll see the subs in the game. Kudos to the other teams for actually stopping us from getting to a 45 point lead. Maybe they should make it a 35 point lead for a running clock so you guys will quit crying.

 

I don't remember folks crying this much last year and we had running clocks all of the time last year. I think we have had 1 this year and Mercer County didn't cry about it.

Boyle Co up 35-0 with 2 min let trying to score or kicking and onsides kick at after the half up 28-0. You never saw that 7-10 years ago.

 

 

Since when is a 28 point lead some HUGE margin? :idunno:

 

In '77 Boyle lost to Harrodsburg 60-0. Gus Parks scored 6 TD's and each time slid into the end zone on his knees, held out the ball and pointed. Late, when Boyle recovered a fumble inside the 5, Alvis trotted out all the defensive starters to preserve the shutout.

 

What did the Rebels do? We kept it in our minds for the next three years and beat the Pioneers 17-0, 6-0, and 27-0. We didn't whine about it but Alvis and his squads paid for that one game for the next three years.

 

To quote Sean Connery from "The Untouchables,"

 

"Here endeth the lesson." :sssh:

Care to cite any specific examples?

 

How about Highlands winning streak. Now this is ridiculous. It's absolutely meaningless as well as a purely vainglorious achievement.

Last time I checked it isn't an offense's job not to score. It isn't a defense job to allow the other team to score.

 

But at the same time there does come a time you need to have some respect for the other KIDS on the other side line.

Last time I checked it isn't an offense's job not to score. It isn't a defense job to allow the other team to score.

 

But at the same time there does come a time you need to have some respect for the other KIDS on the other side line.

 

 

I respect your opinion a great deal Coach.

 

At what point do you see your last statement as the guiding judgement in a game? In other words, is there a magic score or place for that to happen?

 

I also wonder if the "running clock" rule is part of the fuel that drives this "fast break" approach. I can understand as a coach, if you can get the clock running, you can more liberally sub and keep your starters from getting hurt. So does that drive a coach to do what some are accusing others of doing? :idunno:

 

Should the rule be changed to 35 points at anytime starts the clock and if it gets below 35 the clock can go back to stopping at the appropriate places? :idunno:

Once saw a game that the 45 point running clock rule was in effect and the winning team had their 1st team in (loosing team did not) running no huddle and throwing the ball. I would not call that winning with class, but with the team involved I expected nothing less.

 

So to say the loosing team should wave the white flag is not always beneficial if the other team ignores it.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.