Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Realignment reading

Featured Replies

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/08/03/kentucky-football-alignment-where-does-your-team-fit/

 

Granted, this is nothing official, but if it were, what would be your opinion?

1A and 2A aren't that much different.

3A with Belfry, Bell, Central, Tilghman and Ft. Campbell is pretty interesting, even with no NKY presence.

4A is the new 5A? Some bad news teams there, with LexCath, Rockcastle, Boyle, Johnson Central, Letcher Central, CovCath and Highlands.

5A has only one team that's been a state champ in the last decade, Mercer County. (I believe that was a 2A championship when they were a much larger school due to consolidation.) Scott and Conner couldn't ask for a better hand to be dealt.

6A has three teams that won state championships in the last decade; Male, Trinity and St. X. I'll let you pick yourselves up off the floor. Slightly surprised to see Dixie listed there, but other than that, no big shockers.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/08/03/kentucky-football-alignment-where-does-your-team-fit/

 

Granted, this is nothing official, but if it were, what would be your opinion?

1A and 2A aren't that much different.

3A with Belfry, Bell, Central, Tilghman and Ft. Campbell is pretty interesting, even with no NKY presence.

4A is the new 5A? Some bad news teams there, with LexCath, Rockcastle, Boyle, Johnson Central, Letcher Central, CovCath and Highlands.

5A has only one team that's been a state champ in the last decade, Mercer County. (I believe that was a 2A championship when they were a much larger school due to consolidation.) Scott and Conner couldn't ask for a better hand to be dealt.

6A has three teams that won state championships in the last decade; Male, Trinity and St. X. I'll let you pick yourselves up off the floor. Slightly surprised to see Dixie listed there, but other than that, no big shockers.

 

While you are right in that Ryan's breakdown isn't official, the only way I see it changing is if some schools are approved to be moved up or the KHSAA decides to use this school year's enrollment numbers in their AVG2BOY calculation. The way I understand it, the latter won't probably happen. Most coaches want to start putting their schedules together for the next two years now. As it is, the classification and districts won't be finalized until the KHSAA Bd meets in October. If the KHSAA was to wait until this year's numbers are finalized and used, it would probably delay the finalization until December (unless the KHSAA was to hold a special Bd meeting in November to approve which I'd guess is unlikely). I'd think most coaches would prefer to stick with the numbers used by Ryan and get on with attempting to put a schedule together, but that's a guess on my behalf. With the KHSAA likely to review the new classification for any extraordinary movement in enrollment at the latest in 2 years, again my guess is that the KHSAA will stick with what Ryan is using and get it finalized as soon as possible so the coaches can start scheduling as soon as possible.

LN do you think Highlands will play up again with the new alignment?????

LN do you think Highlands will play up again with the new alignment?????

 

Nope; based on how I look at the likely district they wouldn't be permitted to do so. They are not geographically isolated as they'll have at a minimum, CovCath, Holmes and Cooper in their district.

5A is interesting for N. Ky. Geographically, I only see three teams in a N. Ky. district - Conner, Scott and Grant County. Where does the 4th team come from? Would CCH play up? Cooper's enrollment numbers are probably skewed way too low with them being a new school. I don't know if they would get to 500 but they might be close. So would Cooper want to play up and argue their numbers are artificially low?

 

I agree with LN. Highlands is so far down the enrollment list that with other 4A schools close geographically (Pendleton Co. also in district perhaps?), I don't see how they would be allowed to move up to 5A. I think the way 4A and 5A shake out will be the most interesting to watch from the N. Ky. perspective.

Paul Dunbar should not be in 5A. They have well north of 2000 students and over 1000 males.

Paul Dunbar should not be in 5A. They have well north of 2000 students and over 1000 males.

 

According to the KHSAA Dunbar has less than 600 boys.

When will this realignmnet take place?

This link says less than 600 and this is the one they are using for realignment. So I do not know which one is correct.http://http://www.khsaa.org/boardofcontrol/agenda/20102011/August/Ad%20Hoc%20Football.pdf

 

The 2 year average on that link is an average of the CY4BOY and PY4BOY columns. I assume one is one year, the other the next from the past two years. I guarantee Dunbar's is a typo, unless we are to believe that they went from 102 males to 1,082 in one year. That's why they're supposedly at 592 averaged. Dunbar will be extremely comfortably 6A.

Why wouldn't the KHSAA want to use the best enrollment numbers available? The most accurate way to decide where a school should be aligned for the 2011 and 2012 seasons would be to use numbers from the previous 2 years. By using the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 numbers you are getting a count of kids that will actually play during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. All kids that were enrolled in schools in 2008/2009 will have graduated by the 2012 season.

If the most fair and accurate alignment to all schools involves finalizing the alignment in December rather than October, then so be it. The alignment should be done the right way rather than the easiest way.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.