Must Read On League Expansions

gametime

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be so sure of that just yet...

Notre Dame at least appearing to remain in the Big East has to be a big help to the overall stability of the league.

Nebraska, and most likely Missouri, although nothing yet, going to the Big Ten shrinks the number of available positions left in the Big Ten to either 1 or 3. If the Big Ten were to look at Kansas/Kansas State (which I don't think they ever would) you could see the Big East come out very strong. If the Big Ten were to raid multiple conference to get their 1-3 teams (think Maryland, Rutgers, and a school to be named), then nobody comes out hurting too bad. The ACC would need to replace 1 team (Memphis? Central Florida?) and the Big East would need to bring in 1-2 teams (Memphis? Central Florida? Kansas/Kansas State?) and nothing really changes.

Many have begun to say that Texas is the straw that stirs the drink in all of this, but I've consistently still thought that Notre Dame was the big piece in all of this and they are proving to be just that. By the Irish not moving to the Big Ten, the conference shift is still large, but it's not completely seismic.

So is Paul Tagliabue swinging his bat or what? Don't tease me dag nab it. :irked: :sssh:

Still a lot of options out there that can save the core of the league, even if it involves a split from the hoops only schools. Tags is doing a lot of work behind the scenes to keep it together as best as possible. Look for Rutgers to be the first BE school to jump to the Big 11 with maybe Syracuse right behind...

Still a lot of options out there that can save the core of the league, even if it involves a split from the hoops only schools. Tags is doing a lot of work behind the scenes to keep it together as best as possible. Look for Rutgers to be the first BE school to jump to the Big 11 with maybe Syracuse right behind...

I'm no Big East guy, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of a 10-12 team Catholic basketball conference consisting chiefly of Big East non-football teams. I don't know how they would survive financially, but it would be intriguing.

Notre Dame at least appearing to remain in the Big East has to be a big help to the overall stability of the league.

Nebraska, and most likely Missouri, although nothing yet, going to the Big Ten shrinks the number of available positions left in the Big Ten to either 1 or 3. If the Big Ten were to look at Kansas/Kansas State (which I don't think they ever would) you could see the Big East come out very strong. If the Big Ten were to raid multiple conference to get their 1-3 teams (think Maryland, Rutgers, and a school to be named), then nobody comes out hurting too bad. The ACC would need to replace 1 team (Memphis? Central Florida?) and the Big East would need to bring in 1-2 teams (Memphis? Central Florida? Kansas/Kansas State?) and nothing really changes.

Many have begun to say that Texas is the straw that stirs the drink in all of this, but I've consistently still thought that Notre Dame was the big piece in all of this and they are proving to be just that. By the Irish not moving to the Big Ten, the conference shift is still large, but it's not completely seismic.

ND making the move would actually stabilize the situation as it would stop the Big 11 at 14 schools max. It's starting to sound like the Big East and Kansas/K State are getting infatuated with one another...

ND making the move would actually stabilize the situation as it would stop the Big 11 at 14 schools max. It's starting to sound like the Big East and Kansas/K State are getting infatuated with one another...

Hard to imagine Kansas playing the early game on Big Monday isn't it?!:D

I heard something today that eventually these big money schools will leave conference affiliation entirely and form their own league/conference. Then again, I am a fan of big time chaos, so that's why I'm all for it. :lol:

More likely that once all this shakes out they tell the NCAA to stuff it...

:popcorn:

Why wouldn't Big 10/11 go after Kansas? No help in Football but would be great to see them play a Big 10/11 B-Ball schedule.

I guess I answered my own question... "No help in Football"

You got it. Basketball doesn't matter in any of this. Strictly a football thing.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe all but killed his own conference on April 30, 2008.

That’s when he decided to team up with the Big Ten and Pac-10 to reject a four-team playoff being pushed by the SEC and ACC. If the Big 12 (and/or the Big East) had supported it, the so-called “Plus One” model likely would’ve happened.

Even that modest playoff would have meant hundreds of millions of additional revenue for college athletics. It would have then allowed for easy expansion for an even more lucrative 16-team postseason. That would have solved all the monetary concerns that have left the Big 12 on the verge of collapse at the hands of its one-time allies, the Big Ten and Pac-10.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany admitted to Congress a 16-team playoff could gross four times what the current Bowl Championship Series does – in other words about $900 million annually.

He opposed it anyway. Beebe and the others never seemed to ask why. They’re finding out now.

Conference expansion is about to forever alter college athletics: destroying traditions, hammering taxpayers and increasing competition. It will leave once-major programs out of the loop, consolidate power and extend the gap between haves and have nots – even within leagues such as the Big Ten.

No one is in a more desperate spot than the Big 12, which this week could see as many as eight league members receive invites to leave.

It’s all because of money. And when it comes to money in college athletics it all comes back to one thing – the leaking oil disaster that is the BCS.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AqYh9qGJELWlPOAnioUS25Y5nYcB?slug=dw-expansion060610

Great stuff in the article. I guess its too late for Beebe and Marinatto to take the stand he suggests.... How embarrassing to get played that way.

How is that going to help the Big East football-wise? That doesn't sound like a BCS conference compared to what the others will have.

I think in order for the Big East to make the cut they will have to expand to 12 teams. The BCS will not give them an automatic bid after these mega-conference are built. (I look for each mega-conference to get 2 BCS bids)

Would be great if the Big East could expand and bring in some big football teams

I wishing for this look for the Big East

BE -West

Cincy

Louisville

Kansas

Kansas State

Memphis

Oklahoma

BE- East

So. Florida

UConn

East Carolina