Must Read On League Expansions

gametime

What does that mean for Baylor? Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State? Utah?

Kansas, K State and Iowa State are looking like outsiders so far. Baylor might get in at the expense of OK State, but that will be a wild one to watch unfold. Oklahoma is still talking to the SEC and so is Texas. This is going to get wild over the next few months, and tomorrow is shaping up to be the first major move in the reshaping of college sports as we know it...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas, K State and Iowa State are looking like outsiders so far. Baylor might get in at the expense of OK State, but that will be a wild one to watch unfold. Oklahoma is still talking to the SEC and so is Texas. This is going to get wild over the next few months, and tomorrow is shaping up to be the first major move in the reshaping of college sports as we know it...

Do you have a reasonable timetable as to when the whole thing should be shook out? I've heard a lot about this week, but does that mean everything?

Do you have a reasonable timetable as to when the whole thing should be shook out? I've heard a lot about this week, but does that mean everything?

Looks like Colorado and Nebraska will be the first to move if local reports are accurate. That's pocket change in the process, but the first moves are what everyone has been waiting for...

These are my guesses.

I look for Pitt, Rutgers, and ND to head off to the Big X joining Missouri and Nebraska coming from the Big 12.

The SEC will take FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech from the ACC. (Florida will fight Miami's entrance into the SEC. I'll put money on it. They'll probably object to FSU, too, but not like they'll fight Miami.)

The Pac X will take Colorado and the Big 12 south less Baylor.

The ACC will fill their holes with Big East left overs Syracuse, WVA, USF, and UConn, then add UCF and ECU from C-USA. Only 14 teams though.

As mentioned in other threads, I think the remainder of the Big 12, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, and Iowa State, will join UofL and Cincinnati, from the Big East, to form a new power conference. However, I think the remainder of this new power conference will be made up of the 10 schools left in C-USA.

The Big East will return to what it originally was, a non-football conference, since it's remaining members would not have D1-A football programs.

You're right about the Gators and the U. Two National Championships in the last 5 years and the Gators still have no guts. Other than prestige I couldn't imagine the SEC wanting Miami, their program just doesn't make much money. They are great for TV ratings though. I do think that some other SEC teams may want them as it could thin out the recruiting a little more in Florida if the Big 3 were all in the same Super Conference.

You're right about the Gators and the U. Two National Championships in the last 5 years and the Gators still have no guts. Other than prestige I couldn't imagine the SEC wanting Miami, their program just doesn't make much money. They are great for TV ratings though. I do think that some other SEC teams may want them as it could thin out the recruiting a little more in Florida if the Big 3 were all in the same Super Conference.

I agree with you on this. I can't imagine many situations that would include Miami going to the SEC. It will be hard enough for Florida to okay Florida State coming on board.

Looks like Colorado and Nebraska will be the first to move if local reports are accurate. That's pocket change in the process, but the first moves are what everyone has been waiting for...
It seems to me that everyone is just lying around waiting for that first move. And when it happens then things will start getting CRAZY!

I'd like to see the SEC add Texas, Miami, FSU, and Ga Tech. I could realistically see that scenario happen. I think Texas is the only doubtful one out of the four.

Would Utah or Boise State possibly get an invite to the Pac 10?

Utah maybe. I doubt Boise State. The Pac-10 seems most interested in Texas, A&M, Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado. If that falls through, I could still see the Pac-10 moving to scoop up Colorado and Utah. I can't imagine an expansion scenario that would put Boise State in the Pac-10. Because if Boise is available and the Pac-10 has a spot, then that means no expansion has happened anywhere.

I'd like to see the SEC add Texas, Miami, FSU, and Ga Tech. I could realistically see that scenario happen. I think Texas is the only doubtful one out of the four.

I don't believe there is any way Texas would go anywhere without Texas A&M. They are both public universities funded by the same fund from the Texas legislature. There would be more pressure on those two to stay together than any other schools.

I believe Florida would have a fit if the SEC were to invite Florida State and Miami. I think ultimately the Gators would give on Florida State, but I would be extremely surprised if Miami comes into the SEC. Florida doesn't want them; they bring a good name but not much money; they are located in an area that is already an SEC-viewer hotbed (the same reason Louisville won't be getting invited). The SEC doesn't have to sell itself in Miami.

Georgia Tech does seem like a possible team for the SEC. I could also see Clemson coming over from the ACC. I realize both of those go against the grain of why I said Miami wouldn't be invited, but those two would bolster the league with good fanbases (Clemson) and good academics (Georgia Tech).

If you assume Florida State does get an invitation (as we did in the second paragraph), then that leaves only one spot open to make it an even 16. I can't envision any of the four Carolina schools coming. I don't believe Virginia Tech comes without Virginia. Kansas doesn't come without Kansas State. Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis don't really match; same for Baylor, who might be available after the Pac-10 raids the Big XII. To me, the only real name that would be available would be West Virginia. I know its far-fetched, but that seems like the best-available, no-strings attached, state school with good fanbase program available.

I don't believe there is any way Texas would go anywhere without Texas A&M. They are both public universities funded by the same fund from the Texas legislature. There would be more pressure on those two to stay together than any other schools.

I believe Florida would have a fit if the SEC were to invite Florida State and Miami. I think ultimately the Gators would give on Florida State, but I would be extremely surprised if Miami comes into the SEC. Florida doesn't want them; they bring a good name but not much money; they are located in an area that is already an SEC-viewer hotbed (the same reason Louisville won't be getting invited). The SEC doesn't have to sell itself in Miami.

Georgia Tech does seem like a possible team for the SEC. I could also see Clemson coming over from the ACC. I realize both of those go against the grain of why I said Miami wouldn't be invited, but those two would bolster the league with good fanbases (Clemson) and good academics (Georgia Tech).

If you assume Florida State does get an invitation (as we did in the second paragraph), then that leaves only one spot open to make it an even 16. I can't envision any of the four Carolina schools coming. I don't believe Virginia Tech comes without Virginia. Kansas doesn't come without Kansas State. Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis don't really match; same for Baylor, who might be available after the Pac-10 raids the Big XII. To me, the only real name that would be available would be West Virginia. I know its far-fetched, but that seems like the best-available, no-strings attached, state school with good fanbase program available.

Nice assesment. Honestly out of all the schools being considered for the SEC I think Ga Tech is the closest one to a lock for receiving an invite.

I think I keep holding on to Texas for the sole reason that I want an excuse to travel to Austin. :D

One other thought on all of this. Is it just me or does it seem like the Worldwide Leader has a severe lack of coverage on this story? I find it one of the most fascinating and relevant stories of the year and all there seems to be is a blurb here and there.

I agree. It doesn't make sense, although right now its very speculative and ESPN has real-live events in the NBA finals and the World Cup going on. Maybe they are waiting for more "facts." I've enjoyed SI.com's coverage of this story. Stewart Mandel (their lead college football writer) has addressed it numerous times from numerous angles.

I think I keep holding on to Texas for the sole reason that I want an excuse to travel to Austin. :D

You can go to Austin without an excuse! You don't need to see UK get romped in a conference game just to have a good time!:lol:

I agree. It doesn't make sense, although right now its very speculative and ESPN has real-live events in the NBA finals and the World Cup going on. Maybe they are waiting for more "facts." I've enjoyed SI.com's coverage of this story. Stewart Mandel (their lead college football writer) has addressed it numerous times from numerous angles.

You can go to Austin without an excuse! You don't need to see UK get romped in a conference game just to have a good time!:lol:

CBSSports has had pretty good coverage as well. I know that have live events going on but the way they tend to blow meaningless stories up I would think we'd see more than this.

:lol: I know.