Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Golf

Featured Replies

Who all plays ? I wouldn't call what I do playing, but it's fun. I picked up the sport a month ago and I love it. It's extremely frustrating though :madman:

 

I'm decent with my driver, woods and putter but I'm terrible with my irons. I usually get 230 - 260 with the driver but I have to play my slice pretty hard.

 

What kind of clubs does everyone use ? I've got a set of Taylormade burners my dad gave me, they're around 10 years old but the guys I play with seem to think they are a pretty nice set.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't play as often as I'd like, but I love to play. Short and straight. Nothing fancy in my bag, an old Tommy Armour 845 driver, Wilson fatboy 3-5-7 woods (I hit them much better than hybrids), generic graphite shaft 5-PW, Adams Tom Watson GW,SW and LW and an old Odyssey white-hot putter.

 

Put me on the "ego courses" around here and I shoot in the low-mid 80s.

  • Author
I don't play as often as I'd like, but I love to play. Short and straight. Nothing fancy in my bag, an old Tommy Armour 845 driver, Wilson fatboy 3-5-7 woods (I hit them much better than hybrids), generic graphite shaft 5-PW, Adams Tom Watson GW,SW and LW and an old Odyssey white-hot putter.

 

Put me on the "ego courses" around here and I shoot in the low-mid 80s.

 

Why do you call them that ?

I play at least 2 times per week. I am coming off knee surgery in December that kept me from taking a good swing last year and I am slowly coming back into form. I love the game it is such a challenge every shot. The club where I play is in perfect shape which makes it nice.

My woods are the Big Bertha Hawkeye series ( I love them). Irons are a Big Bertha knock offs. I jump back and forth between a 12-16 handicap in the last couple years.

I have played golf for 45 years (almost all of my life) and grew up in a golfing family. I just this week bought only my third set of clubs. I dislike changing clubs usually (or else I am just cheap), but the new clubs are great. Cobra S-9-1 driver (was a demo). 3w and 5w still my old Taylor made knock-offs. I purchased Calloway x-22 graphite shaft irons. I ordered them off the Calloway golf site to my custom fittings. My old irons were Ping Isi knock offs that I hit pretty well, but they don't compare to the new ones. Oh, also completing the makeover a 2009 Nike Oz2 putter. I am left-handed so it is not easy for me to find and then demo a lot of different kinds of clubs. This is the biggest investment I have ever made in my game.

 

I get from tee to green pretty quickly, and putting is OK....my pitching game is another Haney project series at present. It's horrible...going to go practice a lot this weekend.

I love to play but don't get to much any more. Having 2 kids pretty much put the stop to my golf game.

 

I have a set of Mizuno MX25 irons, a Taylor Made R540 driver, Cobra 3 metal, Ping Putter.

Why do you call them that ?

 

Not much trouble and if your drive doesn't find the fairway, you can get back to it rather easily.

Not much trouble for not hitting a good shot.

 

Alot of courses are designed to get you to come back and spend money, not to test a golfer.

How about everyone telling their best score and on what course?

 

I play Ping irons and King Cobra woods.

Broke 100 once with 98. 43 on 9 is my best. Both at Pendleton Country Club.

 

But haven't gone out and played 9 straight or 18 for about 5-6 years.

 

Now I coach golf and work with players on shots and hole strategy more than I play.

Like everyone else I don't get to play as much as I used to. I used to be about a 10 handicap but I would say I'm around 14 or 15 now that I don't play to much. Last time out was brutal. I think I shot a 98. Best round was 79 I believe.

How about everyone telling their best score and on what course?

 

I play Ping irons and King Cobra woods.

 

Laurel Oaks in Maysville (white tees, not the tips) - 77.

Kenton Station in Maysville (true ego course) - 75.

Hilltop in Manchester (OH) - 78.

HIckory Sticks (played there 4 times last year) - 85. My favorite course anywhere around here, but I don't play golf too many places.

Maysville Country Club (white tees) - 86.

Who all plays ? I wouldn't call what I do playing, but it's fun. I picked up the sport a month ago and I love it. It's extremely frustrating though :madman:

 

I'm decent with my driver, woods and putter but I'm terrible with my irons. I usually get 230 - 260 with the driver but I have to play my slice pretty hard.

 

What kind of clubs does everyone use ? I've got a set of Taylormade burners my dad gave me, they're around 10 years old but the guys I play with seem to think they are a pretty nice set.

 

Close the clubface by turning your right hand over on the grip before you start you swing, this should correct your slice until you have a chance to work on it...Hardest game on earth I think!

Love, love, love, to play golf. Try to go at least once a week, but normally make it to play a round two to three times a week. I am on my third set of TaylorMade irons, and wouldn't even think about buying anything else right now. The set I have now is the TaylorMade r7's, (5-sw in my bag) but those new r9's look sweet. I have a TaylorMade Burner driver, and also a TaylorMade r7 driver, both 9.5's. I have been hitting the Burner a lot better than the r7 here lately so I have been sticking with it. Also in my bag is a TaylorMade rescue dual 3, which is basically like a hybrid 3 iron. Then I have a Taylormade burner 6 hybrid, with Mizuno mp .001 3 and 5 woods. I have my trusty ole Adams Tom Watson Lob Wedge 60 degree, and Nike OZ putter (hardest putter I ever learned to play with, but now I am money with it).

 

Have a lot of other clubs laying around and stored in the garage, but those are the ones I play with or keep in my bag. Normally play with Titleist balls, usually Pro-V1's or DT Carrys, but also have been using a lot of Bridgestone balls here lately, the tours, and the +e6 and +e7's.

 

Lowest score I've shot this season is a 76 which is +5 at the course I normally play at (Raven Rock). Normally I shoot a high 70's to low 80's up there. Even though I play Raven Rock more frequently I still consider it to be a pretty challenging course, and usually shoot good rounds when I go elsewhere, normally in the 70's. My father lives in Virginia and I play a lot of golf with him over there at a lot of courses. Around here like said normally play Raven Rock (Jenkins) and Stone Crest (Prestonsburg). When I lived in Richmond, I played a lot at Gibson Bay and Arlington CC.

Maybe we can start a BGP scramble.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.