Crosstown Showdown - KY games

buttels

Friday August 20th - Nippert Stadium

Dixie vs. Newport Central Catholic - 6:00pm

Ryle vs. Covington Catholic - afterwards

Saturday August 28th - Nippert Stadium

Simon Kenton vs. Middletown (OH) - Approx. 2:45pm

Tri State Internet Sports Radio will be broadcasting both games on 8/20 from Nippert Stadium.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure would be nice to see Highlands play in this.

If I recall properly, Highlands has never been invited to play in the Showdown. If my memory is correct, I wonder if that has any thing to do with Gamble not being too fond of Highlands? I remember he and Skinner being rather critical of Highlands on a frequent basis (or at least, that's how I perceived them).

I may be wrong about that, and maybe the lack of invitation has simply to do with Gamble feeling Highlands already gets enough exposure.

In any event, I'm glad to see the N. Ky schools invited get to play in this event. That's pretty cool. Good luck to all teams invited. Go put on a good show, although I wish the N. Ky schools were matched up against similarly sized Oh schools instead of against one another.

If I recall properly, Highlands has never been invited to play in the Showdown. If my memory is correct, I wonder if that has any thing to do with Gamble not being too fond of Highlands?

For some reason I think its particular to Dale and not the Highlands community.

I think it may have more to do with Dale than Gamble and Skinner.

Highlands holds itself to a high barometer, as they should, and don't like to share the limelight with others. If they were the featured game, then they might participate.

I think Dale is very calculating (and I use this word in the positive) as to where to place the Bluebirds. It appears his latest is to attempt to have the Birds be national champions. This would be impossible if they would suffer an early season setback to Moeller or Elder or Cinti St. X. (Yes I know they beat the Bombers last year, but that was the exception.)

For some reason I think its particular to Dale and not the Highlands community.

Could be. Nonetheless, I don't think Tom has ever asked Highlands to play in the Showdown. I really don't ever remember Tom saying any thing complimentary of Highlands during the 2 Angry Guy broadcasts. I vividly remember calling in during one of the 2 Angry Guy broadcasts to inform them ( I spoke with Skinner off line) that they were very, very wrong in what they were saying about Mueller and the KHSAA regarding the Mitchell matter. Actually I told him that they were defaming Mueller because they were saying factually incorrect information. One of the two (I don't remember which) had stated that Mueller had been sanctioned for illegally recruiting Mitchell when that was not true nor had any allegation every been made concerning illegal recruiting in the whole dreadful episode. Skinner to his credit, made an attempt (although it came across rather half hearted to me) to correct the misstatement and then the two of them proceeded to recommence pouring on the venom. Lost a lot of respect for both of them that day.

Perhaps I'm wrong about Tom's feelings towards Highlands or even Dale, but again, who cares. I'm just glad the other N. Ky schools will get the opportunity to participate in the event. That's good stuff. I was only trying to explain why Highlands might not be playing in the event after another poster mention it would be nice to see Highlands play in this event.

If I recall properly, Highlands has never been invited to play in the Showdown. If my memory is correct, I wonder if that has any thing to do with Gamble not being too fond of Highlands? I remember he and Skinner being rather critical of Highlands on a frequent basis (or at least, that's how I perceived them).

I may be wrong about that, and maybe the lack of invitation has simply to do with Gamble feeling Highlands already gets enough exposure.

In any event, I'm glad to see the N. Ky schools invited get to play in this event. That's pretty cool. Good luck to all teams invited. Go put on a good show, although I wish the N. Ky schools were matched up against similarly sized Oh schools instead of against one another.

Tom Gamble has never liked Highlands. I remember the 96 season when he and Richard use to do a weekly sports show with the one and only Don Weber. "Hits Like a Train".....LOL!!! Anyway, Tom use to make it a point each and every week to pick against Highlands even if they were playing a very Sub Par team. Until week 15 where Tom decided to pick HHS over Hoptown. This set off a wildfire through the HHS football community until Ted from Villa Hills called in to the show and begged Tom not to jinx his beloved Bluebirds with his pick...LOL!!!:lol: One of the funniest nights of my life.

You know Gamble is a Colerain guy that played in the Award winning band of the Cardinal. The Colerain connection might have something to do with it. Either way, I too don't recall HHS ever being invited. But on the other hand does it really matter if HHS was matched up with say Ryle. Or Dixie, or any other NKY team for that matter. What would they get out of it? To play at Nippert Stadium! Is there money involved? I don't know. Yes I guess it would be nice, but I would rather see HHS playing in DCM Sadium anytime. Nothing like a game at DCM!

BTW, where is TEDFROMVILLAHILLS? I spit out my fruit loops that night back in '96 when he called in from Ft. Thomas. Classic moment in "Hits like a Train" history.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the third or fourth time Cov Cath has participated in the Crosstown Showdown. Cov Cath had been scheduling Moeller on a yearly basis since '92 or '93 when they were asked to compete against them in the Showdown at Nippert during the '98 season. In addition to Moeller, I believe they played St. X and Elder in years past...for what it's worth.

I would say CovCath. The rivalry is coming back soon. Might not last too long but it will be back for a year or two.

I'm sure most of the pragmatic Bluebird and Colonel fans will agree: the rivalry has never gone away; the level of competition has just temporarily diminished.

I'm not so sure about your "might not last too long" comment either. I think with the convention of the Cov Cath middle school teams, Cov Cath's performance is going to be consistently increasing for a gooood while.

I'm sure most of the pragmatic Bluebird and Colonel fans will agree: the rivalry has never gone away; the level of competition has just temporarily diminished.

I'm not so sure about your "might not last too long" comment either. I think with the convention of the Cov Cath middle school teams, Cov Cath's performance is going to be consistently increasing for a gooood while.

Oh I agree with you on the rivalry. I didn't mean that it never left. Oh it's there every year. I actually had a few blueboys, uh lets say, borrow from my house a few HHS highlight cd's to see "how it's done". That was "their" words when the cd's were returned. That was pretty funny actually. Good kids. All in fun.

My second comment, who said I was talking about CCH. :D Just kidding. Seriously, I think with convention of their middle school program will go a long way towards building an on going successful program. I just see it differently than those over here in Kenton Cty. See I am in the middle of it all and I listen. I hear things and see things. Maybe I will be wrong. Time will tell.