Ludlows Highfield steps down.

Steve Hart- and yes he is well respected. I want to know what is going on at Ludlow. Some have said in other threads that Cory is staying as AD, others say he is not. Can anyone clarify?

That's it! I knew it was Steve I couldn't remember his last name. I remember him being a good coach, I think he would be a solid replacement.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people who know me, when I have talked about Coach, I have always said that Coach Highfield is a very good person. He had a lot of tough and just unfair things to deal with during his time as basketball coach. As I said the talent level was way down compared to what it once was. Also just the kids these days are just different. I just don't see the same passion for the game anymore out of these kids, like there use to be. It seems like they just don't care as much, and not willing to do whatever they can to do better. Instead they look for excuses, and someone to blame. Sometimes a player might not agree with a thing a coach does. However that is no excuse not to listen, and not to try as hard as you can. I know when I was playing sports in high school, me and my teammates might not have agreed with somethings. However it never stopped us from playing as hard as we can, and doing whatever we could to get better and to win. I just don't see that out of the kids these days. I remember we hated to lose and it would really bother us, and now a days it just really doesn't seem like it bothers them. They are more worried about other things, and its a shame that it is that way these days, and a big reason for why there hasn't been as much success lately. Coach Highfield had it tough when it came down to these things. As I said the talent level was down, but if these kids would have played with heart, and showed some passion for the game and really worked at it. Then lack of talent wouldn't have mattered as much, because hardwork could have overcame that, and I don't feel like the kids these days were willing to do that, and it was a shame. So Coach had it tough when it came to dealing with these things, and its the same way for the other coaches in the other sports too at Ludlow. The passion for the game in these kids is missing.

Kids/Players often times reflect or take on the personality of the coach. If as you say the kids lacked motivation or passion for the game wouldn't that at least in some part be a reflection of the coach.

Blaming it on the kids all the time has become a very convienent excuse in my opinion. Now is the time to move forward and to quit blaming everyone and anyone for the past.

In my opinion, which doesn't mean much, I think this job is Adam Clary's, if he chooses to apply for it. He's a Ludlow guy, been with the program as their JV coach, and will have the support from the people in the city. For what it's worth, that's who I believe will get it, but I could be wrong. I don't know if Coach Hart is interested, but that could also be a good person to take over the program. I think Aaron Stamm stays with the girls program, but that doesn't mean he won't show interest. He's had success with the girls, and all seems to be well on that end, but he too has coached in the boys program, so who really knows.

In my opinion, which doesn't mean much, I think this job is Adam Clary's, if he chooses to apply for it. He's a Ludlow guy, been with the program as their JV coach, and will have the support from the people in the city. For what it's worth, that's who I believe will get it, but I could be wrong. I don't know if Coach Hart is interested, but that could also be a good person to take over the program. I think Aaron Stamm stays with the girls program, but that doesn't mean he won't show interest. He's had success with the girls, and all seems to be well on that end, but he too has coached in the boys program, so who really knows.

Adam is a fine youngman and I'm sure the kids would respond favorably to him if he were to be the choice to lead the Ludlow program but I wonder what other experience he has besides being the J.V. coach for a year or 2.

Coach Hart obviously has the track record from his Silver Grove days but as an administrator I wonder if he would have the time needed to be the Head coach.

Again if Stamm is interested I would think he deserves serious consideration. He took a girls program that was very mediocre and won several Conference titles along with 3 regional appearances. He knows how to build a program from the elementary on up and does a great job of fundraising and building relationships in the community.

Whomever ends up with the job has a lot of work to do and everyone needs to be patient and give him the proper amount of time to get the program headed back in the right direction. It has taken a number of years in decline for the program to reach this point and it won't be fixed overnight.

Kids/Players often times reflect or take on the personality of the coach. If as you say the kids lacked motivation or passion for the game wouldn't that at least in some part be a reflection of the coach.

Blaming it on the kids all the time has become a very convienent excuse in my opinion. Now is the time to move forward and to quit blaming everyone and anyone for the past.

I am not just talking about in basketball. In all three of the main sports, especially at Ludlow, the kids are a lot different these days. Yeah there are some kids who still have that passion when it comes to sports, but not as much anymore. Most of these kids seem far more interested in other things these days.

You talk about people blaming the players, but usually all I hear is people blaming coaches, from the players to the parents. Blaming it all on the coaches have become a very convient excuse in my opinion. Instead of working hard, and giving it everything they had to become better, they seem more more interested in blaming it on the coach for not being successful. Yes sometimes a coach might mess up, and the players might not agree with a decision. However that is no excuse not to still play as hard as you can, and I see that happen way to much at Ludlow in sports these days. I mean I know you just like I do, know all the coaches, and talk to them pretty regularly too, and most of them seem to say the same things. So unless you think its a reflection of all the boys coaches at Ludlow, then it does have a lot do with how the players are these days. I am not blaming it all on the players, because all three parts coaching, talent or lack there of, and heart all play a big part on how a team will do. Lack of talent is something that is going to happen at Ludlow, because small schools go through cycles. However lack of heart should not happen, and that seems to be something that is missing more and more out of the players these days in all three sports. So things like that would make it harder on a coach to succeed.

Adam is a fine youngman and I'm sure the kids would respond favorably to him if he were to be the choice to lead the Ludlow program but I wonder what other experience he has besides being the J.V. coach for a year or 2.

Coach Hart obviously has the track record from his Silver Grove days but as an administrator I wonder if he would have the time needed to be the Head coach.

Again if Stamm is interested I would think he deserves serious consideration. He took a girls program that was very mediocre and won several Conference titles along with 3 regional appearances. He knows how to build a program from the elementary on up and does a great job of fundraising and building relationships in the community.

Whomever ends up with the job has a lot of work to do and everyone needs to be patient and give him the proper amount of time to get the program headed back in the right direction. It has taken a number of years in decline for the program to reach this point and it won't be fixed overnight.

I think Adam Clary will be the one who gets the job. #5 he does have more experience than being a JV coach for a year or two, he also was at Dixie for a couple of years. However I do agree that if Coach Stamm wanted the boys job, that they should strongly consider him. Actally if Stamm wanted it, he should be the the favorite to get it IMO. Since Adam Clary teaches at Ludlow though, if he wants it the job it will be his IMO. Right or wrong, not being a teacher at Ludlow probably will keep Coach Stamm from being able to get the job.

I've heard from some parents out of Ryle that the freshman coach from two years ago has applied. I don't know much about the guy, I think he's little older not real sure, but that team had Stauffer and a few other Varsity contributors on it. Also there may be another coach from Ryle that will apply.

I agree with the comment on not interveiwing candidates in the past. I know for a fact that when Coach Highfeild got the job they had a former graduate apply who had coaching experience on the varsity level and they didn't even give him an interview. I was told that his presentation outlining how he would build the program was very impressive.(Player development, AAU, Camps, and Tournaments.) It was ridiculous not to atleast have the respect to give an alum a chance but I suspect they did that stuff in the past few years.

I think Adam Clary will be the one who gets the job. #5 he does have more experience than being a JV coach for a year or two, he also was at Dixie for a couple of years. However I do agree that if Coach Stamm wanted the boys job, that they should strongly consider him. Actally if Stamm wanted it, he should be the the favorite to get it IMO. Since Adam Clary teaches at Ludlow though, if he wants it the job it will be his IMO. Right or wrong, not being a teacher at Ludlow probably will keep Coach Stamm from being able to get the job.

??? It was ok for them to hire Stamm as the girls basketball coach and then the baseball coach without him being a teacher or working in the building. Again look at the success he has had. This excuse sounds like something that would be floated around by the administration to try and justify passing over Stamm for someone else when they have a deal already made for someone else to take the job..

Edited by #5

I agree with the comment on not interveiwing candidates in the past. I know for a fact that when Coach Highfeild got the job they had a former graduate apply who had coaching experience on the varsity level and they didn't even give him an interview. I was told that his presentation outlining how he would build the program was very impressive.(Player development, AAU, Camps, and Tournaments.) It was ridiculous not to atleast have the respect to give an alum a chance but I suspect they did that stuff in the past few years.

:ohbrother:Ludlow has always had their own way of doing things and they don't like to be questioned about how they do things. Hopefully there will be someone on the SBDM that will ask to see the respective applications and maybe even be a part of the interview process. Look what the last done deal got us when they filled this position.

Edited by #5

??? It was ok for them to hire Stamm as the girls basketball coach and then the baseball coach without him being a teacher or working in the building. Again look at the success he has had. This excuse sounds like something that would be floated around by the administration to try and justify passing over Stamm for someone else when they have a deal already made for someone else to take the job..

If I remember correctly, I don't think any teacher was wanting the baseball job. I cant remember if there was a teacher wanting the girls job when he first got it. The girls job wasn't a job that was to attractive when he took over. So there really might not have been anyone who was wanting it. If there was I think he would have had a hard time getting it.

This is kind of a pointless argument here for us. I know I completely agree with you, that Stamm should probably be the favorite to get the job. He has the experience, and did a great job with the girls program. If he wanted the boys job, he should get it IMO. However I just don't think it will play out that way, and I think most likely we will see Adam Clary will get it. I am not saying Adam is a bad coach, he very well might do a good job with the program. However if it was down to them two, the choice should be Stamm over him. Adam then could take over the girls program, and get some experience running a varsity program as a head coach.

Why does the varsity girls coach automatically become the leading candidate when the boys varsity coach position opens up? Why is it assumed that the jobs are the same as far as relationships and such? Just curious???

Why does the varsity girls coach automatically become the leading candidate when the boys varsity coach position opens up? Why is it assumed that the jobs are the same as far as relationships and such? Just curious???

Considering the leading candidate is a guy with no Varsity head coaching experience at the boys or girls level, and no where near as many years experience as a coach in general. That is why the varsity girls Coach in Stamm SHOULD be the leading candidate. Before Stamm was the girls head coach, he had only coached boys too. So he also has as much experience coaching boys, as the guy who is most likely to get the job. That is why some of us say, that Stamm should be the leading candidate. Even though I do admit, he probably won't get it, and it probably will be Adam Clary since he teaches there. He might do a good job, and I do think he is a good coach. However Stamm has the better track record, that is why I think he should be the leading candidate.