Split postseason proposal fails in initial vote

rockmom

A controversial measure aimed at separating the state’s public and private high schools for postseason competition failed in an initial, nonbinding vote Friday.

The executive committee of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control rejected the plan 9-8, with one member absent from the meeting.

The full board will make its official vote later on Friday.

KHSAA member schools voted Thursday 195-78, with two abstentions, to enact the measure, which needed a two-thirds’ majority, or 184 votes, to pass.

WHAS 11 Report

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha............... guess who back and more angry than before . I can't wait to a see a list of the teams who supported it. I hope all the public schools who voted yes have the guts to admit it.

Hold the phone.....from the article...

After the full Board of Control votes, the measure will be sent to the state Board of Education with either a positive or negative recommendation. If the Board of Education approves it, the proposal would go to the General Assembly for consideration.

The Board of Control cannot kill the issue. That will be done at the KY BOE or the General Assembly or I guess even the governor's desk.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/12962842.htm

controversial measure that would separate the state’s public and private high schools for postseason sports competition received a negative recommendation today.

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control voted 9-7, with one member abstaining, to send the proposal to the state Board of Education without a positive endorsement.

The state board meets again in December.

It doesn't mean failure, it just means the BOC doesn't endorse it. The Kentucky Board of Education has to give a pass/ fail vote. The Board will consider the non-endorsement from the BOC. I hope they consider it very strongly.

Not sure what the BOE considers. LY, the delegate assembly and the BOC voted overwhelmingly, I believe, to remove the qualification of 64 credit hours on coaches. The BOE rejected it even though it had support from the first two parties. I have learned to never predict and go on record of what Frankfort will do unless I feel like eating crow or room in my mouth for a 2nd foot. :D

It doesn't mean failure, it just means the BOC doesn't endorse it. The Kentucky Board of Education has to give a pass/ fail vote. The Board will consider the non-endorsement from the BOC. I hope they consider it very strongly.
N Yes, at all costs let's make sure that Lex. Cath has players from at least seven different counties and Trinity has plenty of Hoosiers!!! :laugh:

Here's hoping that saner minds meet this afternoon and defeat this measure and give everybody some more time to work things out. I would think that the proposal to not allow non state students to participate would have gone a long way.

N Yes, at all costs let's make sure that Lex. Cath has players from at least seven different counties and Trinity has plenty of Hoosiers!!! :laugh:

Prop 20 doesn't have anything to do with out of state student athletes. That measure may have been approved, I don't know.