Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Was Jodie Meeks the Missing Piece of the Puzzle?

Featured Replies

I said that more than a few times on Saturday. I love getting the good recruits but I hope we are not going to be the one year, one player away team with regards to starting over every year.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any question he was. It would've taken a Villanova-G'town type game to deny UK the title had Meeks been in the fold.

I honestly don't know how that calendar worked out but is there a possibility we'd never have seen Bledsoe attend UK at all if Meeks had stayed?

I said to a friend that he was the missing piece a month ago. He said no way that there aren't enough basketballs to go around. While I understand what he is saying 3 things bugged me about this team all year. 1. Couldn't put teams away. That's why I got excited against Wake. 2. Free throws 3. Biggest was no consistant long range shooter/scorer.

He was the missing piece IMO.

I don't think Meeks was a selfish me-first kinda guy... I think he was just a kid that did everything he could to carry a team and make them a winner, and the prospect of playing for a 3rd coach after all he'd been through in his college career (through Tubby leaving, injuries, the Billy Gillispie experience) was just a little too much for him to want to come back.

 

I don't blame him for that.

 

I didn't mean to say he was a selfish me-first kinda guy...I just don't think he would've sacrificed as much as Patterson. And no, I don't blame him one bit for leaving...his draft status would've remained roughly the same and he had a tough 3 years...I just think he was soooo ready to go staying wouldn't have been a match made in heaven.

I really don't think he would've hurt anyone number by much, maybe a few points a game, but definitely would've added assists for alot of guys. You have to figure he likely would've played the 3 spot. Think about how inconsistent that spot has been all year.

What if Oden and company had stayed at Ohio State???? What if............

 

Guessing Oden would have been hurt like he always seems to be?? :D

Not sure if he would've started at the 3 or if he would've taken Bledsoe's spot as a starter.

 

If by mid season he wasn't starting at the 3 spot ALOT of people would've been questioning Coach Cal's coaching ability.

KY would have been undefeated, seldom challenged, and getting ready to cut down the nets in Indy next Monday night if Meeks had stayed. Face the facts, KY's main weaknesses from the beginning of the year were inconsistent outside shooting and lack of experience. Meeks helps drastically on both accounts.

 

Wall really bought into the team concept, along with Cousins and the rest as the season wore on. As many have mentioned, how good would KY have been if those drive and kick-outs by Wall & Bledsoe, and inside-out passes of Cousins would have been had they been caught by someone who could consistently hit those open shots???? With Meeks hitting those shots, how effective would have the penetrators been, and how open would have Cousins, Patterson & Orten been inside??

 

Unfortunately for the Cats, Cal couldn't sell Meeks on staying in college, which would have benefited both the '09-'10 team and Jodie Meeks!!

What if Oden and company had stayed at Ohio State???? What if............

 

 

PG & perimeter shooting were the missing pieces to a possible repeat...so if Lawson, Ellington, and company would have stayed at UNC...things would've been different.

 

Several top teams have the could've/would've/should've excuse.

I guess I'll be that guy....I don't think they would've been any better, possibly even worse. I've just never been sold on Jodie as a team first kinda guy. :idunno:

 

Interesting. Care to explain why you feel this way? I mean he showed nothing his Freshman year that would say he wasn't a team first guy. Then his sophomore year he was hurt and didn't really play. His junior year, yeah he shot a lot. However I know for me at least, I would have rather him take a tough shot than seeing Porter, Harris, Stevenson, etc. take a wide open shot. He had every reason to be not a team player his junior year, their only shot at winning games usually was when he had a good game.

 

If he stayed I think it could have caused some chemistry problems early on, because he would have been use to taking the majority of the shots from the year before. So could have led a lost earlier in the season. However the end result, I believe would have been much better than this years team.

PG & perimeter shooting were the missing pieces to a possible repeat...so if Lawson, Ellington, and company would have stayed at UNC...things would've been different.

 

Several top teams have the could've/would've/should've excuse.

 

Agree totally and I am not a fan of the Buckeyes, but trying to point out in a nice way the silliness of such discussions. :D:popcorn:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.