Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Enberg

Featured Replies

It was hard listening to him struggle at times. I have such great respect and admiration for the legends I grew up listening to. Men like Enberg, Curt Gowdy, Jim McKay, Cawood, Lindsey Nelson, Al Micheals, Nuxhall, Brennaman, Harry and Skip, and more. Sometimes, just like the great athletes, the men behind the mic stay on well past their prime. Such was the case with Enberg. He struggled badly in the pre-game so much that it was painful to watch. I honor him for all of his great work over the years. Just kinda wish we hadn't have had to witness the sad effort that brought an end to his great career. I guess that broadcasters, like players, find it hard to walk away from something they love so much. I will always have Enberg's "Oh My!!!" in my mind's ear.

He was one of the great voices of sport over the decades.

 

Does anyone remember a sports game show called "Sports Challenge" that Dick Enberg hosted back in the '70's. As a young lad, I loved that show.

I always loved Enberg, but I agree he really struggled the last few years.

I agree. Have a lot of respect for his work but to hear him constantly get things wrong was painful.

  • Author

Make no mistake, I absolutely hold those guys in the highest regard. I just don't want my broadcast legend to be needing to call for an enema more than he needs to call the game. Unfortunately, perhaps Dick needed the enema.

I agree. The game has passed both him and Verne Lundquist by and it has been painful listening to them try and play catch up.

We used to stop our Whiffle Ball games on Saturday afternoons when Sports Challenge came on. Still catch it occasionally on ESPN Classic.

Hearing his vocie make me think of playoff football...

Dick Enberg was the BEST when he was on top of his game....this tourney he reminded me of Willie Mays falling down trying to get out of the batter's box in his final year. Best of luck to DE...OH MY!!

  • Author

Does anyone remember as I do Enberg's call of Notre Dame's 1974 upset of UCLA, ending the Bruins' 88- game winning streak? I was captivated by the game and by Enberg's call of the final seconds: " Trgovich... Meyers... Shumate... IT'S ALL OVER!"

 

Does anyone remember a sports game show called "Sports Challenge" that Dick Enberg hosted back in the '70's. As a young lad, I loved that show.

 

I, too, loved that show.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXCn5Fv3Jw

 

How could the Browns miss that first question with the given clue??

Enberg was one of the greats of the business. As recently as 2005, when he did the epic Illinois-Arizone regional final, he was still on top of his game.

I agree, he struggled badly. I'm still searching for information about UK's John Harrelson and that Tony Delk from Syracuse's '96 team.

Hearing his vocie make me think of playoff football...

 

What a great tandem Enberg and Merlin Olsen made.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.