Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Enberg

Featured Replies

What a great tandem Enberg and Merlin Olsen made.

 

I have playoff games that I taped with that pair. :thumb:

As legendary as Dick Enberg is as a sports announcer,

and like many others here, I have watched and

listened to him for a long time (yep, remember

'Sports Challenge' back in the day), doesn't

CBS Sports have newer, established talent to

play these roles? Is only Jim Nantz available

for big game broadcasts? Aren't there any

thirty or forty somethings who are primed

to create their own notoriety? Same goes

for Al Michaels and Brent Musberger...

greats in their time, still pretty good, but

creeping toward 'long in the tooth' status.

Dick Enberg has always been one of my favorites, so it's been difficult for me to come to grips with him losing it.

I still love his voice. However, it was hard to hear him make so many mistakes and fumble for his words in a manner that is unlike what I want to remember him as. Bilas did a good job at correcting him a few times, but you could tell, not trying to embarass him at all. Enberg saying 'Oh My' is one of my favorite sounds from broadcast sports.

I remember the 1974 UCLA-Notre Dame game like it was yesterday. Notre Dame broke the UCLA 88 game winning streak that afternoon.

 

I first heard Dick Enberg call a game on January 20, 1968 when he did the UCLA-Houston basketball game, played before 50,000 fans in the Houston Astrodome.

 

I think Dick Enberg might have been the greatest in his day, and because of my respect for him, I can overlook a few faux pas he makes while calling a game at age 75.

 

He is an instant classic!

As legendary as Dick Enberg is as a sports announcer,

and like many others here, I have watched and

listened to him for a long time (yep, remember

'Sports Challenge' back in the day), doesn't

CBS Sports have newer, established talent to

play these roles? Is only Jim Nantz available

for big game broadcasts? Aren't there any

thirty or forty somethings who are primed

to create their own notoriety? Same goes

for Al Michaels and Brent Musberger...

greats in their time, still pretty good, but

creeping toward 'long in the tooth' status.

 

 

Did you happen to catch him doing the Olympics last month? He looked like a fish out of water, IMO, in the studio reading off the prompter. He was much better ad-libbing and interacting with other hosts/guests. And I think he's still darn good at calling a football game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.