Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Private Feeder Schools versus Recruiting

Featured Replies

You are wrong. It is true. They just can't show up at the front door like they could at any private school in the state.

 

Think Cody Elliott who played for Beechwood but lived in Boone County, BTW through the years there have been plenty who played for Highlands and like others I have no problem with it at all.

 

It happens and in 99.9% of the time it's done for academics. "T" Louisville St. X, CovCath, Beechwood and Highlands all are not only great places to play sport but also to get an outstanding education.

 

Oh and BTW, you don't play at any of the above schools if your grades aren't what they are suppose be.

 

So honestly it's the best of both worlds!

  • Replies 96
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is you can go to any school you want right now, right? There are students who live in Villa Hills and Erlanger going to Lloyd, St. Henry, Villa Madonna, Notre Dame, Cov Cath, Dixie, Highlands, Beechwood and Holy Cross...maybe even others I haven't mentioned. Half of those are public and half of those are private.

 

The voucher issue is the rebate of my tax dollars. Vouchers allow parents to choose the best school for their child, for any number of reasons. The theory is that it would also create competition for the students, thereby bringing the cream to the top. I pay taxes for a school that my child doesn't attend, (my choice) and still pay tuition, because the fit is better. I'm a voucher fan.....would love to see any of my tax money come back to me in the way I would like to use it....:irked:

Think Cody Elliott who played for Beechwood but lived in Boone County, BTW through the years there have been plenty who played for Highlands and like others I have no problem with it at all.

 

It happens and in 99.9% of the time it's done for academics. "T" Louisville St. X, CovCath, Beechwood and Highlands all are not only great places to play sport but also to get an outstanding education.

 

Oh and BTW, you don't play at any of the above schools if your grades aren't what they are suppose be.

 

So honestly it's the best of both worlds!

 

You seriously honestly believe that? Your telling me that some of the guys you just mentioned, and guys who ended up going to Highlands, and so on was because of mainly academics? You really believe that those guys, would have still went to those schools if say their football program or whatever program they played in was not that good at all? Its sad but for a lot of people the sports play just as big of a role as the academics when it comes to choosing schools. Yeah it helps that those programs do have good academic programs as well, but there is no reason to believe that they would have still made sure that they paid to go to those schools or moved to that area if their sports programs were not that good. If a school does not have a good sports program, then you most likely wouldn't see that person go there, or if it has a bad academic program then you most likely won't see the person go there.

 

The whole 99.9 percent thing you say is way off base IMO. I believe that academics only play about 50 percent in their decision, because if that school didn't have a good sports program we wouldn't see those talented kids still pay to go there. Parents of kids who are very talented, look at both mainly when deciding where to send their kid. You hardly ever would see a parent pay tuition of a talented sports player to go to a school that only has good academics and not a good sports program.

You seriously honestly believe that? Your telling me that some of the guys you just mentioned, and guys who ended up going to Highlands, and so on was because of mainly academics? You really believe that those guys, would have still went to those schools if say their football program or whatever program they played in was not that good at all? Its sad but for a lot of people the sports play just as big of a role as the academics when it comes to choosing schools. Yeah it helps that those programs do have good academic programs as well, but there is no reason to believe that they would have still made sure that they paid to go to those schools or moved to that area if their sports programs were not that good. If a school does not have a good sports program, then you most likely wouldn't see that person go there, or if it has a bad academic program then you most likely won't see the person go there.

 

The whole 99.9 percent thing you say is way off base IMO. I believe that academics only play about 50 percent in their decision, because if that school didn't have a good sports program we wouldn't see those talented kids still pay to go there. Parents of kids who are very talented, look at both mainly when deciding where to send their kid. You hardly ever would see a parent pay tuition of a talented sports player to go to a school that only has good academics and not a good sports program.

 

Future Coach is on the money again. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I no longer will drink the private school "kool aid" speech. If you choose to spend additional money to send your child to a private school, then fine, but don't give me the "sacrifice" speech. You made the chioce, and I hope it works out well for you. On the fields and athletic courts though, please don't insult me and say things are even when they are not. :taz:

Future Coach is on the money again. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I no longer will drink the private school "kool aid" speech. If you choose to spend additional money to send your child to a private school, then fine, but don't give me the "sacrifice" speech. You made the choice, and I hope it works out well for you. On the fields and athletic courts though, please don't insult me and say things are even when they are not. :taz:

 

HHS and Beechwood are not private schools but public and two of the best public in academics in the entire Commonwealth.

 

So why are you and futruecoach so positive, that kids and their parents don't look at both sides (academics and athletics) in picking where their child attends HS? I guess both of you are from the only good jock, is a dumb jock school of thought!

 

If they don't have the grades they won't play college sports and honestly, unless your child is an elite athletic (and most are not), the chances of getting a "full College Scholarship" are slim and none.

 

So why not take the high road and get a great education for your child, while he is playing sports at a great school!

 

BTW how many kids from HHS best football team ever, received "100% paid full scholarships"? I honestly don't know but my guess is maybe only one, two at the most, but all of those kids received a great HS education and will be able to attend college!

HHS and Beechwood are not private schools but public and two of the best public in academics in the entire Commonwealth.

 

So why are you and futruecoach so positive, that kids and their parents don't look at both sides (academics and athletics) in picking where their child attends HS? I guess both of you are from the only good jock, is a dumb jock school of thought!

 

If they don't have the grades they won't play college sports and honestly, unless your child is an elite athletic (and most are not), the chances of getting a "full College Scholarship" are slim and none.

 

So why not take the high road and get a great education for your child, while he is playing sports at a great school!

 

BTW how many kids from HHS best football team ever, received "100% paid full scholarships"? I honestly don't know but my guess is maybe only one, two at the most, but all of those kids received a great HS education and will be able to attend college!

 

Those are your words, not mine. I am speaking of the "sacrifice" many parents speak of in this thread and others. It is not a "sacrifice" but a choice. There are many choices in life.

 

The bottom line with our Northern Kentucky schools that fall into this category is this. Highlands has a great football program, and are competitive in other sports. Yes they are a public school, but certainly can accept people from outside of their district, if they have openings, and if people will pay. The Bluebirds are also competitive in basketball and decent in baseball. Beechwood is a school of similar ilk, and they are very good at football, very good at baseball and competitive in hoops. The two main Catholic schools that are generaly discussed in sports in this forum are CCH and NCC. CovCath is good at football, very good at baseball and competitive in basketball-year in and year out. NCC is very good in football, competitive in hoops and baseball. I continue to say winning recruits, and I am fine with that. What I think is beginning to look weirder and weirder to me is to say the playing field is even, when the private schools have an inherent advantage. You can say it is whining, but really CovCath has only had one state championship in the past five years or so in football and NCC is always in it, but has, two crowns I believe in the same time frame. Highlands has won every year in football except for the one CCH won, and Beechwood has a few championship teams in that time frame too.

 

To add to what FC has said before. Dale Mueller at HHS is undoubtedly the best coach in Kentucky in football, but have you ever looked at his record at Withrow, a public school in Cincinnati? To have a great program, all the elements need to be there, a great coach, teachable players, a committed staff and school, and parents ready to get out of the way.

Those are your words, not mine. I am speaking of the "sacrifice" many parents speak of in this thread and others. It is not a "sacrifice" but a choice. There are many choices in life.

 

The bottom line with our Northern Kentucky schools that fall into this category is this. Highlands has a great football program, and are competitive in other sports. Yes they are a public school, but certainly can accept people from outside of their district, if they have openings, and if people will pay. The Bluebirds are also competitive in basketball and decent in baseball. Beechwood is a school of similar ilk, and they are very good at football, very good at baseball and competitive in hoops. The two main Catholic schools that are generaly discussed in sports in this forum are CCH and NCC. CovCath is good at football, very good at baseball and competitive in basketball-year in and year out. NCC is very good in football, competitive in hoops and baseball. I continue to say winning recruits, and I am fine with that. What I think is beginning to look weirder and weirder to me is to say the playing field is even, when the private schools have an inherent advantage. You can say it is whining, but really CovCath has only had one state championship in the past five years or so in football and NCC is always in it, but has, two crowns I believe in the same time frame. Highlands has won every year in football except for the one CCH won, and Beechwood has a few championship teams in that time frame too.

 

To add to what FC has said before. Dale Mueller at HHS is undoubtedly the best coach in Kentucky in football, but have you ever looked at his record at Withrow, a public school in Cincinnati? To have a great program, all the elements need to be there, a great coach, teachable players, a committed staff and school, and parents ready to get out of the way.

 

I don't know Dale's exact record at Withrow, but I know he went 10-0 and had several other pretty good years in the 6 years he was there. It took him a few years to get things moving as he wanted them, but he had pretty decent success there once he got people on board his system.

Once again where did I say you can take any coaching staff? Trust me I know that not all coaches are good, or would do as good. I never said you could just take any coach. For a team to have sustained success they need good players and good coaching. Trust I know more than most people, it doesn't matter how good your team is, if you don't have the coaching. You would not be as good as you can be.

 

My point was about there are some people on here, who always say like the reason why these same teams always win is because they have good program is just not true. My point is that some of these schools that are not as known as having a top notch program who is always in contention, do have coaches to that are just as good as some of these other schools. They just don't have the talent. I know not every school has good coaches, but there are a lot who do. So when people say its because of the program and coaches they have for why they do good, is just not true. Some of the examples I given you, are guys you seriously could switch with other coaches and it would be the same thing.

 

You are right; you didn't say you could take any coaching staff. But I felt that you were implying that coaches didn't have the impact on a program's success that I believe. With Highlands tradition it is easier to be successful there than at some other schools. But Mueller has, because of his coaching skills, raised the bar considerably. He's won 8 state championships in the 16 years he's been there. We'll disagree if you think that you could take other coaches that you think are good or great coaches and that they would have as much success as Mueller has.

 

This whole coaching side bar got started when you made the following comment in a post in the thread in the boys basketball forum:

 

IMO a lot of these programs who lose the prennial winners as you say, have coaches that are just as good as those teams.

 

I think you are off the mark in that sentiment. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 coaching staffs in the entire state state that could accomplish at Highlands what Mueller and his staff have accomplished in the last 16 years. Heck in two of the 8 years they didn't win the title, they got beat in the state game (95 and 03?). That's 10 state appearances in 16 years.

Those are your words, not mine. I am speaking of the "sacrifice" many parents speak of in this thread and others. It is not a "sacrifice" but a choice. There are many choices in life.
Don't tell me that it wasn't a sacrifice for us to send our three kids to NCC . It was a huge sacrifice and that was the choice that we made .
Don't tell me that it wasn't a sacrifice for us to send our three kids to NCC . It was a huge sacrifice and that was the choice that we made .

 

:thumb:

HHS and Beechwood are not private schools but public and two of the best public in academics in the entire Commonwealth.

 

So why are you and futruecoach so positive, that kids and their parents don't look at both sides (academics and athletics) in picking where their child attends HS? I guess both of you are from the only good jock, is a dumb jock school of thought!

 

If they don't have the grades they won't play college sports and honestly, unless your child is an elite athletic (and most are not), the chances of getting a "full College Scholarship" are slim and none.

 

So why not take the high road and get a great education for your child, while he is playing sports at a great school!

 

BTW how many kids from HHS best football team ever, received "100% paid full scholarships"? I honestly don't know but my guess is maybe only one, two at the most, but all of those kids received a great HS education and will be able to attend college!

 

TOG is on target here. The 99.9% comment in his earlier post is off target. But I will tell you that there are many tuition paying, out of district students at Beechwood that don't even play sports. Yes, that's right. There are many students paying tuition to attend a public school who don't even play sports. They come to the school for reasons other than sports ... academics, small school, etc. And I assure you there are many, many others who "overpay" for their homes to live in Ft. Mitchell so their children can attend Beechwood and sports has nothing to do with that decision for most.

 

The tuition paying athletes attending public and private schools are at their respective schools for a lot of reasons and sports is just one of them. How big a factor sports is in the decision to attend that school depends on the student, but I would guess sports is usually not the major reason why most of these students choose the school they attend. It may be the factor that causes them to consider a school but then they consider all the other factors before making a decision.

Don't tell me that it wasn't a sacrifice for us to send our three kids to NCC . It was a huge sacrifice and that was the choice that we made .

 

I've paid too, but a sacrifice is only made for a reward in the long run. Otherwise it is martyrdom. You "sacrificed" paying money now to hopefully provide a better future for your children. Perhaps a better word would be investment.

 

It is a choice.

I've paid too, but a sacrifice is only made for a reward in the long run. Otherwise it is martyrdom. You "sacrificed" paying money now to hopefully provide a better future for your children. Perhaps a better word would be investment.

 

It is a choice.

 

Do you donate money to any charities? What do you expect in return for that?

I don't know Dale's exact record at Withrow, but I know he went 10-0 and had several other pretty good years in the 6 years he was there. It took him a few years to get things moving as he wanted them, but he had pretty decent success there once he got people on board his system.

 

I already said Dale is the best coach in Kentucky, but he has zero state championships from coaching in Ohio-from 1984 to 1990 at Withrow, and 1991 to 1993 while the head coach at Sycamore. I don't think Dale needs defending, but his Ohio coaching record in 10 years produced no crowns. For the record both Ohio schools are public institutions, and most years I would say Ohio football is better than Kentucky football. :p

:confused::confused:

Do you donate money to any charities? What do you expect in return for that?

 

Yes, but I expect that they be good stewards of the donation.

 

I am not certain if you are trying to say that paying for school is a donation to a charity, because I am not saying that. I am saying it is an investment that you expect to be "repaid" in various ways down the road-by earning more money, etc.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.