Rivalries

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee County and Owsley County in my area.

Although they're both in the same basketball district (56th) and located just 10 miles from one another, they didn't schedule each other for about 25 years as a result of a fight between the Owsley County principal and a Beattyville businessman over a seat at a district tournament game in the old Lee County gym.

Since the two resumed play in 1977 it's been nothing but big crowds and very tense games. However, there hasn't been a single fight between the players, to my knowledge. Both are small, class A schools, but they have a great rivalry.

Sorry. I didn't notice this thread was about Northern Ky. rivalries only. I thought it was just rivalries in general. I guess I need to start a rivalry thread on Eastern Kentucky schools.

I would go with these two being the top 2 and having had more big games in 9th region history than most other rivalries.

Also the other 35th district HC vs CCH and CCH vs Holmes has been big games over the last 15 years.

But the two you listed are the top two.

Holmes v Holy Cross has always been a back yard brawl. All of Latonia clears out and heads for the gym.

Highlands v CCH when both teams are good have great intensity. Who can forget the Derek Smith/Jared Lorenzen HHS teams playing CovCath and the most creative student section in N KY. :dancingpa

From the old 38th district it was the teams of Deming, Bracken County, Augusta, and Pendelton County the one rivalery was Deming vs. Bracken County. Sometimes it would bring out the best and sometimes the worst in from both sides.

The bragging rights for Bracken County had a good contest pitting Bracken vs. Augusta. :devil:

Fleming Co. vs Mason Co. And back in the days of us old timers Fleming vs Maysville from my days of high school in the 70s and the old Maysville/Mason Co rivalry. Those were some good games back in the day.

I have been to a few of the Maysville/Mason County games win I could go, also Fleming County/Mason County was always a great basketball atmosphere. :devil:

It used to be Bracken and Pendleton for a long time.Now I think Bracken and Deming is the big rival game.Always seems to be extra activities along with the game. I don't think that will change even if they aren't district rivals anymore.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :devil:

Sorry. I didn't notice this thread was about Northern Ky. rivalries only. I thought it was just rivalries in general. I guess I need to start a rivalry thread on Eastern Kentucky schools.

That's ok:

Beattyville is north of Booneville and Jackson too, so we'll consider the Lee County Lizards Northerners!

From the old 38th district it was the teams of Deming, Bracken County, Augusta, and Pendelton County the one rivalery was Deming vs. Bracken County. Sometimes it would bring out the best and sometimes the worst in from both sides.

The bragging rights for Bracken County had a good contest pitting Bracken vs. Augusta. :devil:

Pendleton and Bracken was always a close game irregardless of how good or how bad one of the times were. Also, Pendleton and Brossart have had some good battles in recent years.

Ludlow- Beechwood :fire: we cant stand each other

That is true. But I dont think we could really say it is a rivalry because we havn't beat them in so long. I think right now Bellevue is more of a big rival of Ludlow because in every sport football, basketball, and baseball you have huge crowds come out to the games, and you can tell the players also play a little hader, because both teams absolutely hate losing to each other.

HHS vs. NCC or HHS vs. CCH both are big games for all teams.

I'd agree with CCH vs. Highlands, but I'd say NCC--Brossart is probably a bigger rivalry. Both schools from the same county, similar size, strong rivalries in other sports, etc.

I'd also say Conner vs. Ryle and Boone; Holy Cross vs. CovCath; Campbell vs. Brossart in the "crosstown shootout" is also becoming big. Another more recent one would be Dixie vs. CCH.