Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do some refs think they are more important than the game?

Featured Replies

Just wondering if any of you have noticed that some refs think that the crowd comes to see them ref more than they come to see the actual game? What is your opinions on this?

  • Replies 46
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure but we have at least three regional games where the refs mistake/intent either "stole" a game or decided the outcome.

 

Franklin Co- Henry Clay horrible miss on the putback

Trinity- Male Phantom foul in last 7 sec

South Oldham- Gallatin Co. foul on a three, I believe

Not sure but we have at least three regional games where the refs mistake/intent either "stole" a game or decided the outcome.

 

Franklin Co- Henry Clay horrible miss on the putback

Trinity- Male Phantom foul in last 7 sec

South Oldham- Gallatin Co. foul on a three, I believe

 

The South Oldham/Gallatin game was as you describe.

Not sure but we have at least three regional games where the refs mistake/intent either "stole" a game or decided the outcome.

 

Franklin Co- Henry Clay horrible miss on the putback

Trinity- Male Phantom foul in last 7 sec

South Oldham- Gallatin Co. foul on a three, I believe

 

I'm not sure all of these are "stealing/deciding the game." Are you saying that the losing team in the last two cases never made a turnover, missed a basket, or missed a defensive opportunity? Or that the winning team did not get a "bad" call somewhere else in the game? Sometimes we have to put things in perspective.

Just be thankful that they are just referees with whistles and not cops with guns. Their attitudes are much to be desired. I stated in another thread that "most" are jerks. That's probably an overstatement, but a lot of them are, and it shows on the court. I've been a referee, a coach, an official scorer, a clock operator, announcer, gym manager, etc. for several years and a number of them walk into the gym with the attitude that "we can't have a game unless I'm here". Then they pull up their pants.

Just be thankful that they are just referees with whistles and not cops with guns. Their attitudes are much to be desired. I stated in another thread that "most" are jerks. That's probably an overstatement, but a lot of them are, and it shows on the court. I've been a referee, a coach, an official scorer, a clock operator, announcer, gym manager, etc. for several years and a number of them walk into the gym with the attitude that "we can't have a game unless I'm here". Then they pull up their pants.

 

Good one ! :thumb:

Just be thankful that they are just referees with whistles and not cops with guns. Their attitudes are much to be desired. I stated in another thread that "most" are jerks. That's probably an overstatement, but a lot of them are, and it shows on the court. I've been a referee, a coach, an official scorer, a clock operator, announcer, gym manager, etc. for several years and a number of them walk into the gym with the attitude that "we can't have a game unless I'm here". Then they pull up their pants.

 

I know a lot of 9th region basketball and football officials. It may be that I know them in a friendly manner, but I've only come across a couple that I would classify as "jerks." The VAST MAJORITY are good dudes/women who love the game that they are officiating. I yell at them as much as anybody, and my brother has heard a lot about certain calls, but many give everything they have to give the players the best opportunity to play a fair game. You can't ask for anything more, really.

 

Also, cops w/ guns and officials...Really???

Just be thankful that they are just referees with whistles and not cops with guns. Their attitudes are much to be desired. I stated in another thread that "most" are jerks. That's probably an overstatement, but a lot of them are, and it shows on the court. I've been a referee, a coach, an official scorer, a clock operator, announcer, gym manager, etc. for several years and a number of them walk into the gym with the attitude that "we can't have a game unless I'm here". Then they pull up their pants.

 

 

Looks like you are right about this one! :jump:

Just be thankful that they are just referees with whistles and not cops with guns. Their attitudes are much to be desired. I stated in another thread that "most" are jerks. That's probably an overstatement, but a lot of them are, and it shows on the court. I've been a referee, a coach, an official scorer, a clock operator, announcer, gym manager, etc. for several years and a number of them walk into the gym with the attitude that "we can't have a game unless I'm here". Then they pull up their pants.

 

And you were just as wrong in that thread as you are in this one.

Actually, and frankly more commonly, I think that there are far more parents who think we came to see them. Yelling like bafoons. Don't know the rules when they scream "over the back" amongst several other things.

 

I'm sure there are officials who are there to be the show. However, there are far more that do a fine job and are very even handed. Seems we don't give them enough credit. The threads bashing officials outnumber the ones that praise them 20 to 1. I suggest that some of you take the test, fit yourselves into some striped shirts and get your rumps out there and git-r-done.

Back to the original question in the thread...I think we sometimes make a blanket statement, based upon a specific instance (or two). I know I have been one to criticize an official's decision every now and then, but I believe the vast majority of the men and women out there ARE doing it for the right reasons, and have no intention of having the spotlight on themselves.

 

However, that being said...I believe that a lot of officials sometimes get caught up in the moment of "if I'm not blowing my whistle, then they'll think I'm not paying attention". How many times do you see a first half go by with maybe 10 or less fouls called for both teams combined, and then in the second half, there's suddenly a foul-fest with both teams being in the double bonus! Consistency is what I look for in an official. On that topic, I'd rate them lower than the where they'd be on the "diva-scale".

 

But, there is one longstanding 8th region official who I think might top that scale. He very, very, very rarely allows any of the other officials overrule him, and if you happen to look at him funny, there's a chance he'll "T" you up. He might know the rules, but he sometimes can come across in a very arrogant fashion. If there's ever been an official that I've seen who might think he's more important than the game, it might be him.

I'm not sure all of these are "stealing/deciding the game." Are you saying that the losing team in the last two cases never made a turnover, missed a basket, or missed a defensive opportunity? Or that the winning team did not get a "bad" call somewhere else in the game? Sometimes we have to put things in perspective.

 

Certainly many plays determine the outcome of a game but in an obvious game changing sitaution, the refs should swallow the whistle.

 

The problem with the Franklin Co call was that it was OBVIOUSLY wrong and I can't imagine why the other officials didn't overrule him.

 

The Trinity call was made by the official out of position and the whistle only blew two-three seconds after the block. If he had made the call immediately, it's just a bad call. The delay REALLY makes you wonder if there was an agenda.

I remember a tidbit in a rule book when I first started officiating in 1990. It said that fans tend to have three common characteristics and I have found this to be virtually true. The advice was to pay no attention to the fans becuase fans:

 

1. are ignorant of the rules (ignorant in the intellectual sense).

2. are highly partisan to one team.

3. delight in antagonizing the officials.

 

I think I've lasted for 21 years with this advice being in the top five reasons why.

Certainly many plays determine the outcome of a game but in an obvious game changing sitaution, the refs should swallow the whistle.

 

The problem with the Franklin Co call was that it was OBVIOUSLY wrong and I can't imagine why the other officials didn't overrule him.

 

The Trinity call was made by the official out of position and the whistle only blew two-three seconds after the block. If he had made the call immediately, it's just a bad call. The delay REALLY makes you wonder if there was an agenda.

 

Because it was NOT their Responsibility. :isurrender:

 

Each official has a responsibility at the end of a game and I'm SURE after talking to several of the BBA guys, they all told me the same scenerio. It is ALWAYS the outside official across from the table's responsibility to have the last second shot.

The Table side official is looking for violations or fouls in the paint and is not looking for the shot attempt. The official under the basket is not looking for the shot either. they are responsible for the fouls and violations on their side of the court.:isurrender:

Because it was NOT their Responsibility. :isurrender:

 

Each official has a responsibility at the end of a game and I'm SURE after talking to several of the BBA guys, they all told me the same scenerio. It is ALWAYS the outside official across from the table's responsibility to have the last second shot.

The Table side official is looking for violations or fouls in the paint and is not looking for the shot attempt. The official under the basket is not looking for the shot either. they are responsible for the fouls and violations on their side of the court.:isurrender:

 

Sorry, but IMO it is the officials job to give the kids the fairest chance to compete and if they see an obvious mistake by one of their colleagues, I don't care where they're standing or what their responsibility is, they need to speak up!!

 

I can see leaving a foul call alone but this was a clock issue and I bet the other two guys knew the shot was good if they were paying any attention.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.