Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Florida 65 Cincinnati 57

Featured Replies

He's not going anywhere so it's pointless to debate either side...

 

Well a lot (most/all) of what is debated on BGP has no real effect on the outcome of the situation. I'm quite certain UC administration/UK coaches/President Obama does not care about our opinions or base any their actions on them. It's just fun to do so.

 

Unless UC does a sudden and surprising 180, this season is a big diappointment. This should have been the season that we saw Mick make some serious progress. They didn't, or at least haven't so far. We're 4 years into a relatively unimpressive Cronin regime. Nice guy, but is it not fair to start to question his head coaching abilities at this point?

  • Replies 91
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well a lot (most/all) of what is debated on BGP has no real effect on the outcome of the situation. I'm quite certain UC administration/UK coaches/President Obama does not care about our opinions or base any their actions on them. It's just fun to do so.

 

Unless UC does a sudden and surprising 180, this season is a big diappointment. This should have been the season that we saw Mick make some serious progress. They didn't, or at least haven't so far. We're 4 years into a relatively unimpressive Cronin regime. Nice guy, but is it not fair to start to question his head coaching abilities at this point?

Feel free to question all you desire. Never said you couldn't. He's not going anywhere after this season, so I simply don't feel like going over the same topic again and again...

What is his contractual status right now? How much time left?

 

Just signed an extension last summer that runs through 2015. It would cost about 6 million to fire him and his staff, and it's 6 million the athletic department simply doesn't have right now...

GT, do you think he will be here next year?

He is not getting fired after this season. That I know for sure. I do expect some shake ups on the staff though...

He is not getting fired after this season. That I know for sure. I do expect some shake ups on the staff though...

 

I was kidding :D

I was kidding :D

I told you yesterday I was going to start making my points over and over again so you won't miss them... :D

I told you yesterday I was going to start making my points over and over again so you won't miss them... :D

 

:lol: Fair enough.

Yeah Cronin is going to be there a while. They need some stability and he has done a pretty good job considering what he inherited.

Not easy in the Big East.

More and more are starting to pile on, but they are not going to fire him.

 

Only saw bits and pieces, but if I were a UC fan, Yancey Gates would drive me nuts.

It's sad to see the UC program and Cronin slowly sinking into oblivion because the administrators made a huge misjudgment when they offered him an extension thru 2015. What you are seeing if they keep Cronin is a program being held hostage by bad decision making. At some point you need to cut your losses and move on. Barnhart made a huge blunder when he hired BCG, but thank goodness he saw the wherewithal to correct it and right the ship. Wasn't Cronin hired by Zempher who could care less about athletics?

The UC program isn't slowly sinking anywhere. It is quite the opposite actually. They are slowly climbing out of the black hole created by Zimpher/Huggins/Wyler el al. Starting from scratch in a major conference simply isn't easy. Ask Tom Crean...

It's sad to see the UC program and Cronin slowly sinking into oblivion because the administrators made a huge misjudgment when they offered him an extension thru 2015. What you are seeing if they keep Cronin is a program being held hostage by bad decision making. At some point you need to cut your losses and move on. Barnhart made a huge blunder when he hired BCG, but thank goodness he saw the wherewithal to correct it and right the ship. Wasn't Cronin hired by Zempher who could care less about athletics?

 

You just can't make a comparison between UK and UC in this instance. UK's program wasn't anywhere near the disaster that UC's program was. I don't think you look at Cronin until either the program plateaus at an unacceptable level, or if the program peaks and regresses. That time is not now.

You just can't make a comparison between UK and UC in this instance. UK's program wasn't anywhere near the disaster that UC's program was. I don't think you look at Cronin until either the program plateaus at an unacceptable level, or if the program peaks and regresses. That time is not now.

 

:thumb:

You just can't make a comparison between UK and UC in this instance. UK's program wasn't anywhere near the disaster that UC's program was. I don't think you look at Cronin until either the program plateaus at an unacceptable level, or if the program peaks and regresses. That time is not now.

 

If they miss the NIT this year and don't show some significant progress next year, I would think it would more than qualify as having plateaued as "unacceptable" to most fans. I've always been a big UC fan, but it is becoming increasingly discouraging. Hopefully there's a big finish coming up here, but Mick just isn't inspiring a ton of confidence at this point.

I don't know alot about UC basketball but here are my thoughts:

 

-Firing Cronin because they won't make the NCAA or the NIT is a little extreme IMO. Most were shocked (or at least a little surprised) when UC started off so well. I gathered that many thought they were probably a year or two away from making waves.

-The times I have watched UC this season I thought they had a nice nucleus, but just didn't have enough guys to make it through a Big East season.

-No matter how it turned out, I thought Cronin kind of "sold his soul to the devil" when he brought in Born Ready. Alot of the big time guys past on him, and though I haven't heard of him being a problem I think it kind of sent a bad message. It wasn't about giving the kid a 2nd chance, we all know it. It was about getting a talented, highly touted ball player so let's call a spade a spade. Get rich-quick schemes don't seem to work in sports over the long run, IMO. Though I don't think he's the problem, I think it seemed different than what Cronin had been doing at UC, which to me was kind of cleaning up the Huggie's Thugs image.

 

I didn't mean that as a slight to Stephenson, as a matter of fact I was extremely high on him last year from the games and highlight tape I had seen (not a great way to evaluate, but then again I'm not qualified to do that obviously). He's not the problem, but I don't think he was the solution either. Like I said I don't follow UC athletics but that's just how I've felt about them lately. I do think that they should continue to improve and I see no reason why Cronin should go. This team is doing about as well as they should be, all things considered.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.