Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Florida 65 Cincinnati 57

Featured Replies

I don't know alot about UC basketball but here are my thoughts:

 

-Firing Cronin because they won't make the NCAA or the NIT is a little extreme IMO. Most were shocked (or at least a little surprised) when UC started off so well. I gathered that many thought they were probably a year or two away from making waves.

-The times I have watched UC this season I thought they had a nice nucleus, but just didn't have enough guys to make it through a Big East season.

-No matter how it turned out, I thought Cronin kind of "sold his soul to the devil" when he brought in Born Ready. Alot of the big time guys past on him, and though I haven't heard of him being a problem I think it kind of sent a bad message. It wasn't about giving the kid a 2nd chance, we all know it. It was about getting a talented, highly touted ball player so let's call a spade a spade. Get rich-quick schemes don't seem to work in sports over the long run, IMO. Though I don't think he's the problem, I think it seemed different than what Cronin had been doing at UC, which to me was kind of cleaning up the Huggie's Thugs image.

 

I didn't mean that as a slight to Stephenson, as a matter of fact I was extremely high on him last year from the games and highlight tape I had seen (not a great way to evaluate, but then again I'm not qualified to do that obviously). He's not the problem, but I don't think he was the solution either. Like I said I don't follow UC athletics but that's just how I've felt about them lately. I do think that they should continue to improve and I see no reason why Cronin should go. This team is doing about as well as they should be, all things considered.

You are mostly on target with your first two points, but as I have gotten to know Lance it is very clear he is nothing like the person he was portrayed after 6 years under the scrutiny of the NYC media starting before he was in 7th grade. He's a quiet kid that doesn't drink or do drugs and has never done any in his life. He's just a regular guy that was billed as the next big thing, and at this point still has a ways to go to get there on the court. I wanted to hate the move as it was happening behind the scenes, and did hate it up until I started to get to know him and the layers of "bad kid" image quickly started to peel away.

 

For the record he's been battling a pretty bad ankle sprain since a game early in December that he has aggravated several times and a strained ab muscle suffered in practice 2 weeks ago, but he's never said a word about it or made any excuses for his performance slipping a bit throughout the season. I'd love to see him stay one more year, find his groove in the college game and take over for Vaughn as the primary wing scorer, but it doesn't look likely...

  • Replies 91
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting rid of Cronin right now would do way more harm than good IMO. I personally don't feel he can get UC to the level where they're competing for BEast titles, but they have to at least give him enough time to find out.

You are mostly on target with your first two points, but as I have gotten to know Lance it is very clear he is nothing like the person he was portrayed after 6 years under the scrutiny of the NYC media starting before he was in 7th grade. He's a quiet kid that doesn't drink or do drugs and has never done any in his life. He's just a regular guy that was billed as the next big thing, and at this point still has a ways to go to get there on the court. I wanted to hate the move as it was happening behind the scenes, and did hate it up until I started to get to know him and the layers of "bad kid" image quickly started to peel away.

 

For the record he's been battling a pretty bad ankle sprain since a game early in December that he has aggravated several times and a strained ab muscle suffered in practice 2 weeks ago, but he's never said a word about it or made any excuses for his performance slipping a bit throughout the season. I'd love to see him stay one more year, find his groove in the college game and take over for Vaughn as the primary wing scorer, but it doesn't look likely...

 

The one and done for Stephenson is one of the things that really made me feel that way. I wasn't sure if he would go after this year so I didn't want to post it, but I just believed that he would for some reason. Like I said I don't have a thing against the kid, and he's done nothing to make a bad name for himself at UC.

 

But I don't see how he helps UC in the long run if it has been known that he wouldn't stay for more than one year. Had he been able to get the team into the tourney (I guess he still can) maybe I could see it. It was kind of taking one step forward to take two step backward IMO if that makes any sense. As I said, I don't really follow UC basketball but it seemed like it was sort of going against the kind of things Cronin was doing at UC.

 

IMO he desperately needs another season of college because from what I've seen he could become a very good scorer at both the college and NBA level but I don't think he's there yet. And like I always say, I don't think they do much teaching at the NBA level, outside of project big men for the most part. For guards it just seems like they have to find a niche pretty quick or get buried on the bench. If he came back I think he could really improve his game, and UC would be light years ahead of where they are this season and maybe people would give Cronin a fair shake. JMO.

The one and done for Stephenson is one of the things that really made me feel that way. I wasn't sure if he would go after this year so I didn't want to post it, but I just believed that he would for some reason. Like I said I don't have a thing against the kid, and he's done nothing to make a bad name for himself at UC.

 

But I don't see how he helps UC in the long run if it has been known that he wouldn't stay for more than one year. Had he been able to get the team into the tourney (I guess he still can) maybe I could see it. It was kind of taking one step forward to take two step backward IMO if that makes any sense. As I said, I don't really follow UC basketball but it seemed like it was sort of going against the kind of things Cronin was doing at UC.

 

IMO he desperately needs another season of college because from what I've seen he could become a very good scorer at both the college and NBA level but I don't think he's there yet. And like I always say, I don't think they do much teaching at the NBA level, outside of project big men for the most part. For guards it just seems like they have to find a niche pretty quick or get buried on the bench. If he came back I think he could really improve his game, and UC would be light years ahead of where they are this season and maybe people would give Cronin a fair shake. JMO.

Basically they had an open spot when they decided not to put up with what was going on behind the scenes with John Riek, and when the Lance to Kansas stuff blew up because Henry was back on the market they decided to take a run at it. Mick felt they needed more help on offense (understatement of the century) and there was no one available that had anywhere close to his ability to score. I get where you are coming from on the perception side, but as long as Lance keeps on the same path that he has for 9 months now I think it actually helps Cronin prove that he has changed the program. He had the best GPA on the team for fall quarter, and is on track to do the same for the winter quarter as well...

Basically they had an open spot when they decided not to put up with what was going on behind the scenes with John Riek, and when the Lance to Kansas stuff blew up because Henry was back on the market they decided to take a run at it. Mick felt they needed more help on offense (understatement of the century) and there was no one available that had anywhere close to his ability to score. I get where you are coming from on the perception side, but as long as Lance keeps on the same path that he has for 9 months now I think it actually helps Cronin prove that he has changed the program. He had the best GPA on the team for fall quarter, and is on track to do the same for the winter quarter as well...

 

If they could get Lance to stay for another season and continue to improve it would help the programs perception alot IMO. I hate to say it but I hope he doesn't get the reviews he wants for the draft because I think he would benefit so much from one more season in college both on and off the court. The longer he keeps a clean and good image the better for him in the long run. But, I have no idea what his family situation is or other problems he may have so maybe he doesn't have much of a choice but to go make some money?

If they could get Lance to stay for another season and continue to improve it would help the programs perception alot IMO. I hate to say it but I hope he doesn't get the reviews he wants for the draft because I think he would benefit so much from one more season in college both on and off the court. The longer he keeps a clean and good image the better for him in the long run. But, I have no idea what his family situation is or other problems he may have so maybe he doesn't have much of a choice but to go make some money?

He has a baby daughter to provide for back in NYC, so it's pretty likely that he is going to go. His lack of any effectiveness from the perimeter has really hurt his stock though as he projects to a SG at the NBA level and the scouts I've talked to think he will likely be a 2nd round selection at this point. I do know there are some around him that feel like us and that he needs one more year in college before he's ready, but with the labor situation looming in the NBA next off season a lot is still up in the air...

He has a baby daughter to provide for back in NYC, so it's pretty likely that he is going to go. His lack of any effectiveness from the perimeter has really hurt his stock though as he projects to a SG at the NBA level and the scouts I've talked to think he will likely be a 2nd round selection at this point. I do know there are some around him that feel like us and that he needs one more year in college before he's ready, but with the labor situation looming in the NBA next off season a lot is still up in the air...

 

Well with a child and what I feel will probably end up in a NBA lockout, maybe he should go pro. I hate that for him because I think he could have ended up as a relatively high pick next year, maybe in the 10-15 range.

You just can't make a comparison between UK and UC in this instance. UK's program wasn't anywhere near the disaster that UC's program was. I don't think you look at Cronin until either the program plateaus at an unacceptable level, or if the program peaks and regresses. That time is not now.

 

I disagree with you. UK was in shambles when Pitino took over, and was headed there with certainty if BCG fulfills his paper napkin contract. UK was headed down the toilet, but slammed on the brakes and made a swift change. One year later, look at the difference a new coach made. Cal gets the job. I think it's a valid comparison. IMHO, if UC fulfills Cronin's contract thru 2015, then the UC program will take even longer to resurrect once they hire a new coach. My main point is this, how far do you let the program fall before you make a change? Is anyone watching? :idunno:

I disagree with you. UK was in shambles when Pitino took over, and was headed there with certainty if BCG fulfills his paper napkin contract. UK was headed down the toilet, but slammed on the brakes and made a swift change. One year later, look at the difference a new coach made. Cal gets the job. I think it's a valid comparison. IMHO, if UC fulfills Cronin's contract thru 2015, then the UC program will take even longer to resurrect once they hire a new coach. My main point is this, how far do you let the program fall before you make a change? Is anyone watching? :idunno:

The program has improved every year from a total restart in the best and deepest conference in America. If Mick was racking up 14th and 15th place finishes under these circumstances I'd fully agree, but as it stands they have been slowly improving despite impossible conditions. The only two situations even close to comparable are Baylor when Scott Drew got there and Crean at IU. Mick is ahead of both of those situations on an equal time line. UK still had players when Pitino took over. UK still had players when Cal took over. Apples and anchovies...

The program has improved every year from a total restart in the best and deepest conference in America. If Mick was racking up 14th and 15th place finishes under these circumstances I'd fully agree, but as it stands they have been slowly improving despite impossible conditions. The only two situations even close to comparable are Baylor when Scott Drew got there and Crean at IU. Mick is ahead of both of those situations on an equal time line. UK still had players when Pitino took over. UK still had players when Cal took over. Apples and anchovies...

 

(3) NCAA Champions since 1990?

 

Conversely: ACC-7, SEC-5

 

How can you call it the "best and deepest conference in America"? What is your measurement?

How can you call it the "best and deepest conference in America"? What is your measurement?

 

Reality. You???

I disagree with you. UK was in shambles when Pitino took over, and was headed there with certainty if BCG fulfills his paper napkin contract. UK was headed down the toilet, but slammed on the brakes and made a swift change. One year later, look at the difference a new coach made. Cal gets the job. I think it's a valid comparison. IMHO, if UC fulfills Cronin's contract thru 2015, then the UC program will take even longer to resurrect once they hire a new coach. My main point is this, how far do you let the program fall before you make a change? Is anyone watching? :idunno:

 

First off I need to say I'm a fan of both teams so this isn't an insult to UC. To compare a program that was last great in the 60's to UK isn't fair. When the UK job and the UC job come open they have different people in mind to take the job and different people are interested in the job.

First off I need to say I'm a fan of both teams so this isn't an insult to UC. To compare a program that was last great in the 60's to UK isn't fair. When the UK job and the UC job come open they have different people in mind to take the job and different people are interested in the job.

 

I do agree that the programs are apples and anchovies, but I know UC could have done better than Cronin. He had zero track record. Why would you hire someone for that job with so little proven at this level? I am not saying they could have gone out and hired coach K, but they could have hired a proven commodity. Mick Cronin had accomplished nothing at the D1 level. Someone please give me 2 legitimate reasons why you would hire Cronin if you were an AD.

I do agree that the programs are apples and anchovies, but I know UC could have done better than Cronin. He had zero track record. Why would you hire someone for that job with so little proven at this level? I am not saying they could have gone out and hired coach K, but they could have hired a proven commodity. Mick Cronin had accomplished nothing at the D1 level. Someone please give me 2 legitimate reasons why you would hire Cronin if you were an AD.

 

1st off it isn't remotley true that he didn't accomplish anything at the D1 level. He took Murray St. to the NCAA tourney twice in three years. He also was an assistant under two really good head coaches. The job at the time wasn't that enticing for big names.

 

1. He wouldn't turn it down. They couldn't get left w/ their 8th choice after being turned down by 7 people. It was his dream job.

 

2. They had to go w/ someone young wanting to make a name for themselves or someone old who failed big time somewhere else. He had been to 2 of the last 3 dances. He was a good hire.

UK still had players when Pitino took over. UK still had players when Cal took over. Apples and anchovies...

 

Not really. The only talent Pitino who he has was a small forward playing center - Reggie Hanson. The rest were not Pitino type players and were not highly recruited. He coached them into being productive.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.