Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What franchises in Pro sports make it tough

Featured Replies

Then I guess you think they should not have signed Benson, Tank Johnson, or Chris Henry back like they did before? I mean it was because getting guys like this for why they even had a winning season this year. You sure didn't have a problem with them having a winning season this year did you? Or would you have rather them just won around 4 or 5 games, which probably would have happened without those guys.

 

As I said before people might try to make a big deal out of it in the off season. However if it does end up helping the team and the team ends up winning, basically everyone ends up forgetting how upset they were about it, and don't care much anymore about the signings. I mean I really bet that most Bengal fans who are upset about it now, won't have any problems with it anymore if it helps them. We won't have anyone saying even though we are 13 and 3. I would have been 3 and 13 than having these guys on the team.

 

C'mon man. The Bengals get guys with a bad rep because they're cheap. It's not about 2nd chances. It's economics. They don't want to compete for guys like Julius Peppers or trade for someone like Brandon Marshall. They're cheap, and the result on the field is always going to show it. That's just how they do things. Bengals would be a tough team to root for because of that.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I didn't like getting all those thugs. I'd rather have guys that have a history of being classy and producing. Remind me again how many 1,000 yd seasons Chris Henry has had? How many 1,000 yd season has Benson had? Why has Tank Johnson been on so many different teams? How many Pro Bowls have those 3 guys been in? You might enjoy going after every criminal in the NFL even if they have been slightly above average. If that's the kind of guys you like to chear for then good for you. I know it might be hard for you to believe but there are actually WR's and RB's that aren't coke heads or jail birds. Amazingly enough those guys are out there and there's even guys out there that are classy that are actually stars.

I understand trying to win. I understand taking a chance on a guy. Odell Thurman, Ced Benson, Tank Johnson, Chris Henry, PacMan Jones, Matt Jones, AJ Nicholson, Frostee Rucker, Eric Steinbach, Matt Askew, Reggie McNeil, Dealtha ONeil etc.

Hey at least your boy Chris Henry only got arrested 4 times in 6 months! I hate he died and pulled for him to get his life right but that's who you want to hang your hat on?

I've liked the Bengals since the early/mid 80's. I just wish they would 1-get a new owner 2- if they are going to chase medicore free agents chase clean guys. Out of the guys listed how many Pro Bowls do they have between them? You see where I'm coming from? They take flyers on thugs that aren't even superstars like a Brandon Marshall.

 

Then just find a new team then, its as simple as that. If you are so unhappy with them and how they do things. Then just find a new team.

 

Now to the points you made. Yeah Chris Henry made no pro bowls. However can you honestly say that Chris Henry didn't make a BIG DIFFERENCE IN THIS OFFENSE? I think you are lying to your self if you don't think he made a big difference to this team. Even if he didn't catch a pass, when he was in the game it opened things up for everyone else. Now Tank Johnson did he make any pro bowls, I don't think so. But what did the defense finish this year in the league, what was they ranked against the run? Who played a big part in that this past season, yes it was Tank Johnson. Benson he just had a 1000 yard season this year and probably would have been a 1500 yard season if he didn't get hurt. I can't believe your even complaning about him, I mean most teams are probably wishing they would have been the team to give him that second chance.

 

Yes we all would love if this team would go out and try to get a Brandon Marshall, and a Julius Peppers. I know I have already mentioned that a lot on here that I would want them to do that. When it comes to free agents though, Cincinnati is just a place that never really has been attractive to free agents, so its hard to even get them to come here even if they try. I mean there has been times the Bengals have actually offered more money to someone and they still go somewhere else. So its not that easy to just go out and get a free agent, they actually would have to want to come here.

 

Yeah in a perfect world they could go out and get talented guys without a bad history. Since you would want them to get guys who don't have a bad past. Then who do you suggest that they go get, that they honestly probably would spend the money for? I know I sure don't see that much out there that would be as talented as some of these guys. Yeah no pro bowls for them, but they are talented and would be playing to try to get that bigger contract. So they are going to play very hard to try to get that. Now if they were to give these guys big contracts, I would not be happy about it at all. However they are getting them for cheap if they get them. So its not like we are stuck with them if they screw up again. So there is no reason to not at least give it a shot. If it dont' work out then they just could get rid of them and its as simple as that.

C'mon man. The Bengals get guys with a bad rep because they're cheap. It's not about 2nd chances. It's economics. They don't want to compete for guys like Julius Peppers or trade for someone like Brandon Marshall. They're cheap, and the result on the field is always going to show it. That's just how they do things. Bengals would be a tough team to root for because of that.

 

:thumb:

 

It's all about the $. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't. Brown doesn't care about the bad PR when it doesn't work.

You can't build a team at the courthouse. Yes, they did great with Benson. I really like the way he plays. It's one thing to plug a questionable background player into a solid team, but you cannot have a locker room full of them. Oh, 13-3 will never happen, but I love the dedication to your team!!!!

 

Bingo. The second chance story was cool at first. Now it's getting old.

  • Author

Football is a game where you have to do your job and be able to depend on those around you. There is a reason the Pats, Colts, Steelers etc are consistant. They go draft players that are high character players or set expectations that it is their way or no way. Cincy goes and gets criminals to throw against the wall hoping one will stick here or there. So far the best argument you have is Chris Henry who was a really good NUMBER THREE WR! Is that really how you want your franchise built? Every team is going to have a guy or two that gets into trouble or has a past. Cincy has been worse than anybody in the NFL. To clean up their image this off season they go after Pac Man Jones, Matt Jones and Dontae Stallworth lol. Seriously it's laughable.

Not only do they go after troubled players but they don't have the culture that somebody like New England has to put the team first. Do you honestly think Bellicheck would put up with Chad Johnson's look at me attitude he gets away with in Cincy?

Football is a game where you have to do your job and be able to depend on those around you. There is a reason the Pats, Colts, Steelers etc are consistant. They go draft players that are high character players or set expectations that it is their way or no way. Cincy goes and gets criminals to throw against the wall hoping one will stick here or there. So far the best argument you have is Chris Henry who was a really good NUMBER THREE WR! Is that really how you want your franchise built? Every team is going to have a guy or two that gets into trouble or has a past. Cincy has been worse than anybody in the NFL. To clean up their image this off season they go after Pac Man Jones, Matt Jones and Dontae Stallworth lol. Seriously it's laughable.

Not only do they go after troubled players but they don't have the culture that somebody like New England has to put the team first. Do you honestly think Bellicheck would put up with Chad Johnson's look at me attitude he gets away with in Cincy?

 

Honestly yes. I mean if he was willing to go out and get a guy who said something along the lines of I do take plays off, I play when I want to play in Randy Moss. Then I think he would have went after Chad. I don't think he would at the moment since he has now Moss, and Welker two of the best in the NFL. However if he took a chance on a guy who only plays when he wants to play, then he probably would have done the same for Chad if Chad was on the trading block three years ago.

I would say the Pirates or Royals.

 

I truely hate baseball and have for a while...

It's been tough to be an Orioles fan the past decade. Not that I'd ever give up on them, but it does take some of the fun away when you are out of it by July.

  • Author
Honestly yes. I mean if he was willing to go out and get a guy who said something along the lines of I do take plays off, I play when I want to play in Randy Moss. Then I think he would have went after Chad. I don't think he would at the moment since he has now Moss, and Welker two of the best in the NFL. However if he took a chance on a guy who only plays when he wants to play, then he probably would have done the same for Chad if Chad was on the trading block three years ago.

 

That's part of my point. He might take Chad but Chad would do it the Patriot way or Chad would hit the road. You don't see guys constantly trying to make it about themselves with the Pats. It's about the TEAM! That culture is what it takes to win it all. When you look at the Bengals Chad is a prime example of somebody that constatnly seeks the spotlight that wouldn't be tolerated in a place like NE. I wish the Bengals went after quality people like a Welker who made the Pats a lot better or a Brookings who made Dallas a lot better this year. Constantly going after jail birds hoping one will stick here or there is not a way to build a conistant winner. Show me a team in the NFL that has done it in the salary cap era.

I understand the point you are trying to make. You and I have different values and that's fine. You are saying that IF they bring in the thugs and win then most fans will forget they are thugs. My point is they have had thug after thug and the best it has gotten them is beaten by a rookie QB at home the first round of the playoffs. The best player out of all of them was their #3 WR! The definition of instanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results.

My point is why not look at the teams that are consistant winners. They go out and do their homework before the draft. They constantly go after guys with high character that fit the mold they want. They also are smart about trading draft picks to build. Cincy has had enough high draft picks that if they would have swapped around they could have really built something.

I think with about 3 pieces the Bengals could be as good as they have been in a long time. I just get sick of seeing them arrested and it really strikes a nerve that they go after possibly the 3 biggest loose cannons available this off season. I can understand one here or one there but they try to make a living at it.

I say it would be hard to find Nets fans right now.( I am not one either)

 

A team that I always seemed to like but never really root for was the Utah Jazz back in the Malone and Stockton era. I always wanted them to win until they faced MJ and then I kinda went back to the Eastern Conference.( and always won to :) )

It's been tough to be an Orioles fan the past decade. Not that I'd ever give up on them, but it does take some of the fun away when you are out of it by July.

 

 

Longer than that, unfortunately. As a kid who cut his teeth on the B. Robby-F. Robby-J. Palmer teams of the 60s, it's been tough this last generation.

:laugh::notworthy::notworthy:

Do the Clippers count as a franchise?
That's part of my point. He might take Chad but Chad would do it the Patriot way or Chad would hit the road. You don't see guys constantly trying to make it about themselves with the Pats. It's about the TEAM! That culture is what it takes to win it all. When you look at the Bengals Chad is a prime example of somebody that constatnly seeks the spotlight that wouldn't be tolerated in a place like NE. I wish the Bengals went after quality people like a Welker who made the Pats a lot better or a Brookings who made Dallas a lot better this year. Constantly going after jail birds hoping one will stick here or there is not a way to build a conistant winner. Show me a team in the NFL that has done it in the salary cap era.

I understand the point you are trying to make. You and I have different values and that's fine. You are saying that IF they bring in the thugs and win then most fans will forget they are thugs. My point is they have had thug after thug and the best it has gotten them is beaten by a rookie QB at home the first round of the playoffs. The best player out of all of them was their #3 WR! The definition of instanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results.

My point is why not look at the teams that are consistant winners. They go out and do their homework before the draft. They constantly go after guys with high character that fit the mold they want. They also are smart about trading draft picks to build. Cincy has had enough high draft picks that if they would have swapped around they could have really built something.

I think with about 3 pieces the Bengals could be as good as they have been in a long time. I just get sick of seeing them arrested and it really strikes a nerve that they go after possibly the 3 biggest loose cannons available this off season. I can understand one here or one there but they try to make a living at it.

 

:thumb:

Longer than that, unfortunately. As a kid who cut his teeth on the B. Robby-F. Robby-J. Palmer teams of the 60s, it's been tough this last generation.

 

Jim Palmer is my all-time favorite.

The O's were pretty good for a few years in the 90s. There have been some bright spots.

  • Author

I had a meeting in Balt this fall. I decided to go up early to catch a game at Camden Yards. It was a great Stadium with very little right around it. I thought about how tough it's probably been to be an O's fan. Not very good and tough division. I really like some of their young talent though. Markakis, Jones, Weiters, Anderson is a really nice nucleus. The hard thing is seeing guys like a Markakis get traded away.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.