Boone County's Talent Pool

I was speaking with a relative of mine who lives in the Boone County HS district. We got to talking sports (surprise surprise) and he made the comment to the effect of "Boone football will never return to its prior glory because of Ryle and Cooper". We had a pretty interesting discussion following that, revolving largely around:

1) The general fact that there are now 4 high schools in Boone County, all with football programs. As recent as 1992, there were only 2.

2) The urban sprawl occurring in Boone County and its resulting change of demographic - many families with children of high school age have moved out into the Ryle and Cooper school districts.

3) Ryle & Cooper's relatively fast rise as football schools. Does that even have an impact on Boone County HS's program?

4) Boone County HS is shifting away from being a football school, and more towards being a basketball and soccer school. (His point, not mine.)

Anybody have thoughts on any of that?

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Ummm...Boone was pretty darned good last year. Remember they made it to the Regional finals before barely falling to a hot SK team. However, they were not good at all this year. They still have talent just not as much. There are too many kids in the school to say the pool is down, they are just not coming out. It may have something to do with the basketball program doing well and a new wrestling program.

I personally feel that the way Boone Co. schools are set up, there is no way the entire county can succeed at team sports. IMO, Boone Co. is and should be considered a city school, such as Holmes or Newport, and pull students from a much smaller area in Florence (maybe even dropping in class). Allow the more rural Cooper, take the students out past Hopeful. It is crazy...you live in Oakbrook and you go to Boone? less than 3 miles from Cooper HS. But Boone Co. will not be down for long and Cooper or Conner will not replace them permanently.

I don't think they will ever be the big dominant force they were when they shared the county with Conner. I know the county itself is booming population wise but most families aren't moving into Florence, they are heading for the burbs. I was very suprised Boone was so poor this season but it appeared to me they had the frouth best talent in the district and that's where they fell in the bracket.

Great thread!! I believe there is much truth to this theory. Take Boone and Hardin counties as an example. I wonder if Boone and Hardin would compete with X and T if the didn't have other new schools diluting their talent pool? Uhhhh, yes!! Great for Ryle, Cooper and John Hardin but not good for the area's chances to compete. I think that this idea has more truth in why some teams are dominating and others can no longer compete. Didn't Boone barely lose to X and T in the state game just back in mid90's? Now it's blowout city. If Boone or Ryle had one team this year...look out!! The private schools continue to build their programs and the county schools decide to split their schools and build a new campus which only costs millions!! I guess there's where the facility improvement funds have gone. Again, great post. So, my question is this: why not build larger schools instead of creating two smaller schools? I think I just heard that Nelson Co. just approved another county school. Seriously?

Ummm...Boone was pretty darned good last year. Remember they made it to the Regional finals before barely falling to a hot SK team. However, they were not good at all this year. They still have talent just not as much. There are too many kids in the school to say the pool is down, they are just not coming out. It may have something to do with the basketball program doing well and a new wrestling program.

I personally feel that the way Boone Co. schools are set up, there is no way the entire county can succeed at team sports. IMO, Boone Co. is and should be considered a city school, such as Holmes or Newport, and pull students from a much smaller area in Florence (maybe even dropping in class). Allow the more rural Cooper, take the students out past Hopeful. It is crazy...you live in Oakbrook and you go to Boone? less than 3 miles from Cooper HS. But Boone Co. will not be down for long and Cooper or Conner will not replace them permanently.

I thought that was the worst Boone team i've seen in years. They could not tackle ANYONE. Mark my words Ryle is going to go on a few runs sooner rather than later.

Ryle has surpassed Boone as the big dog in Boone County. Boone/Conner/Cooper will get their pieces of the pie but Union has really boomed over the last 10 years and still is. All of the above school has nice talent coming it's way but Ryle has the most in my opinion.

What is the win loss record over the last 10 years?

I thought that was the worst Boone team i've seen in years. They could not tackle ANYONE. Mark my words Ryle is going to go on a few runs sooner rather than later.

If they do not do it next year they will be back to the same 'ol Ryle offensive team. Because they do not have a qb anywhere near as talented as Hemple coming up.

What is the win loss record over the last 10 years?

I don't know but Ryle made a run at state a few years ago, had a solid team this past year, the frosh lost one game I believe and they have a whole lot in the feeder system. If I was buying stock in the BCPFWL I would buy a lot of Ryle shares is all i'm saying. I have also heard good things about Cooper but I will stick to my guns with Ryle.

If they do not do it next year they will be back to the same 'ol Ryle offensive team. Because they do not have a qb anywhere near as talented as Hemple coming up.

They have a QB better than Hempel coming up but he is young and I won't mention his name. But he is a special talent.