USA TODAY article on UL-UK rivalry

RowdyRedRam

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-11-04-kentucky-cover_N.htm

"They had the same buzz two years ago," Louisville athletics director Tom Jurich says. "Remember when they were recruiting eighth-graders?"

I love Jurich:lol:

I'm not sure I remember the #1 recruiting class or preseason top 5 ranking two years ago. Jurich is probably praying it turns out like two years ago did.

I hope Coach Cal is correct here:

Calipari guarantees Kentucky fans won't cross the line of good taste when Louisville visits.

"I promise you it will not get ugly," he says. "I think we have classy fans. If they look back on time (Pitino) spent here, it was a good time and he led the program to where they wanted it to go."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-11-04-kentucky-cover_N.htm

"They had the same buzz two years ago," Louisville athletics director Tom Jurich says. "Remember when they were recruiting eighth-graders?"

I love Jurich:lol:

Doesn't even make sense :idunno:

Yea we were as excited about the 8th grader as we are this best recruiting class on paper since the fab five :ohbrother:

It's no wonder Jurich is talking basketball

Doesn't even make sense :idunno:

Yea we were as excited about the 8th grader as we are this best recruiting class on paper since the fab five :ohbrother:

It's no wonder Jurich is talking basketball

OR, the buzz surrounding BCG was pretty huge, and I plainly remember all the young commitiments he was getting creating a lot of excitement. I remember people on UK boards calling him the "warrior".

In all seriousness though, I know what you mean. It's apples and oranges.

It's interesting to read an outside perspective on the whole thing. I really and truly feel that people living outside Jefferson County will never really get it, and that goes for the rest of the state. My intensity getting geared up for this game has been at about 11 since the day UK hired Calipari. This game means something different in this town than it does anywhere else.

As for Calipari promising that the UK fans will keep it classy when the Cards roll into Lexington... this is sports and there isn't a classy fan base anywhere in this country. I wouldn't expect UK fans to not mention Pitino's indiscretions anymore than I'd expect a UofL fan not to harp on Calipari's missing banners (or that time him and John Chaney nearly came to blows... that was awesome; I sure do love Atlantic 10 ball). I'm not worried about it and I don't expect Pitino thinks he can avoid it either.