Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr Football going into the last game of the regular season

Featured Replies

What are you thoughts?

  • Replies 92
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

After nine partial games, Antonio Andrews stats are:

9 wins, 0 losses (Still undefeated as the Varsity starting QB, 23-0)

52/76 passing (68%), 892 yards, 17.15 ypc, 15 TDs, 1 INT

78 rushes, 1098 Yards, 14.08 YPC, 22 TDs

3 PATs

225 total points (passing, rushing, PATs) [135 points rushing & PATs]

7 Solo Tackles, 2 Assisted Tackles (not including #’s from Week 6 vs. Warren Central)

1 Interception

He has also done some kickoffs/punts, but I do not have any numbers on those.

 

His rushing numbers puts him in the number two spot for yards per rush behind

Dontay Spillman (Valley) 1997 (15.0 ypc,1,557/104) on the KHSAA list, not knowing exact numbers of what any of these other outstanding athletes have done this year.

 

On a side note, Antonio has achieved the 1,000 yard rushing mark for the second regular season in a row and I would like to see him do the same with passing yards as well (needs 108, but that might be hard with the rain coming that is expected tomorrow night). He had a combined 2197 in the regular season last year and added 1331 yards (679 passing, 593 rushing and 59 receiving) in the playoffs. But I know, we are only looking at this year. I honestly think that Antonio is one of the best all-around football players in the state, if not the best. He has done well on both sides of the ball and well in a variety of spots while only playing about 18 quarters of ball. My vote is still for him until I see someone that does as well in a variety of positions because in my mind, doing well in one position does not make someone the best football player in the state, regardless of stats.

McShara of Boyle County, hands down.

I've only had a chance to see Miles Simpson and Dominique Hayden this season. I was hoping to see Collinsworth this Friday. But I hear he's not playing still.

  • Author
McShara of Boyle County, hands down.

 

Although I believe Rees is a great player, how do you support this. I know and understand he has had a great year (and career) but what has he done. As I said in the previous post, IN MY MIND, Mr Football is for the best football player in the state, not just the best player at a certain position. What else has he done well at. All I ever hear about him is his rushing, that is it. The school doesn't provide stats so it is kind of hard to see anything about him when we do not get to see him play.

I've only had a chance to see Miles Simpson and Dominique Hayden this season. I was hoping to see Collinsworth this Friday. But I hear he's not playing still.

 

And, since you have seen them both this year, how do you compare Simpson and Hayden?

And, since you have seen them both this year, how do you compare Simpson and Hayden?

 

Both games I have seen it was pouring the rain. And Simon Kentons level of competition(Ryle) was much stronger than Haydens(Raceland). They are two completely different style runners as well. So it's hard for me to make a comparison. But based off of what I saw I give a VERY slight advantage to Simpson. I feel like Simpson hits the holes harder and has better vision to read the field. Haydens advantage is he is just so much stronger than his competition(345lb bench, 620lb squat, 320lb powerclean). He just runs over people and carries them downfield. He also has a tendancy to run straight up because of this. Because he gets away with it in 1A.

Like I said I don't have a great deal of basis to weigh this opinion on. It's just off of one game a piece. I should see Hayden one more time this season. And hope to see Miles again as well.

As I said in the previous post, IN MY MIND, Mr Football is for the best football player in the state, not just the best player at a certain position. What else has he done well at. All I ever hear about him is his rushing, that is it.

 

That's just it jrjohnson........ The Kentucky Mr. Football Award is an honor given to the top high school football player in the state of Kentucky and in the KHSAA. You do not have do everything. It's not an award that you have to be able to pass, kick, run, and tackle to be named Mr. Football. It's awarded by a panel of sports writers and broadcasters from around the state's Associated Press. It's BEST Player, not Best Player in many positions.

 

IMO I think over 1,968 yards rushing with somewhere around 31 touchdowns and done that on 140 rushes puts him in contention. Not only has he rushed the ball he also has many recieving touchdowns. If it matters I know he has tackles on defense and he has even returned a INT for a touchdown.

 

Do I think Rees will win it. NO...IMO the kid from Simon Kenton will get the most votes.

Edited by Rebel

  • Author
That's just it jrjohnson........ The Kentucky Mr. Football Award is an honor given to the top high school football player in the state of Kentucky and in the KHSAA. You do not have do everything. It's not an award that you have to be able to pass, kick, run, and tackle to be named Mr. Football. It's awarded by a panel of sports writers and broadcasters from around the state's Associated Press. It's BEST Player, not Best Player in many positions.

 

I understand waht you are saying and I believe that many people think that way. But even as you said, "The Kentucky Mr. Football Award is an honor given to the top high school football player in the state of Kentucky and in the KHSAA." I just do not see how the top HS football player in KHSAA is determined by being the best RB or QB in the state. The best player should not just be the best in the only position they play. For example, a great RB that also is a really good LB, is a much better football player than a great QB who does nothing else.

 

Granted this is just my opinion and since I do not get to see all of these young men, just as most of us on this site don't, I look at the stats to help determine who I think it should be. When someone only puts up numbers for rushing yards, it leads me to believe that they are a one dimensional player. In fact, I am sure almost all of them are doing something else that could support their position as the best football player in the state. When you don't have numbers or anything to go by, this is hard to tell.

Although I believe Rees is a great player, how do you support this. I know and understand he has had a great year (and career) but what has he done. As I said in the previous post, IN MY MIND, Mr Football is for the best football player in the state, not just the best player at a certain position. What else has he done well at. All I ever hear about him is his rushing, that is it. The school doesn't provide stats so it is kind of hard to see anything about him when we do not get to see him play.

 

What more do you want? :idunno:

 

I think he has about 18 or so receptions to go with the carries. Maybe 4 TD receptions, Rebel could answer.

 

He has about 4 interceptions on Defense and one returned for a TD. I'm pretty sure all this has been posted before. The exact figures could be added by the more knowledgable people.

 

I'm like Rebel. I don't think he will win it. But you can't discredit him and call him one dimensional anymore than you can do the same for Anotonio Andrews. :thumb:

I understand waht you are saying and I believe that many people think that way. But even as you said, "The Kentucky Mr. Football Award is an honor given to the top high school football player in the state of Kentucky and in the KHSAA." I just do not see how the top HS football player in KHSAA is determined by being the best RB or QB in the state. The best player should not just be the best in the only position they play. For example, a great RB that also is a really good LB, is a much better football player than a great QB who does nothing else.

 

Granted this is just my opinion and since I do not get to see all of these young men, just as most of us on this site don't, I look at the stats to help determine who I think it should be. When someone only puts up numbers for rushing yards, it leads me to believe that they are a one dimensional player. In fact, I am sure almost all of them are doing something else that could support their position as the best football player in the state. When you don't have numbers or anything to go by, this is hard to tell.

 

So how does Andrews qualify anymore than Rees? 9 tackles on the season is hardly a really good LB. I'm sure he barely plays on Defense but he's not showcasing anything at another position there.

After nine partial games, Antonio Andrews stats are:

9 wins, 0 losses (Still undefeated as the Varsity starting QB, 23-0)

52/76 passing (68%), 892 yards, 17.15 ypc, 15 TDs, 1 INT

78 rushes, 1098 Yards, 14.08 YPC, 22 TDs

3 PATs

225 total points (passing, rushing, PATs) [135 points rushing & PATs]

7 Solo Tackles, 2 Assisted Tackles (not including #’s from Week 6 vs. Warren Central)

1 Interception

He has also done some kickoffs/punts, but I do not have any numbers on those.

 

His rushing numbers puts him in the number two spot for yards per rush behind

Dontay Spillman (Valley) 1997 (15.0 ypc,1,557/104) on the KHSAA list, not knowing exact numbers of what any of these other outstanding athletes have done this year.

 

On a side note, Antonio has achieved the 1,000 yard rushing mark for the second regular season in a row and I would like to see him do the same with passing yards as well (needs 108, but that might be hard with the rain coming that is expected tomorrow night). He had a combined 2197 in the regular season last year and added 1331 yards (679 passing, 593 rushing and 59 receiving) in the playoffs. But I know, we are only looking at this year. I honestly think that Antonio is one of the best all-around football players in the state, if not the best. He has done well on both sides of the ball and well in a variety of spots while only playing about 18 quarters of ball. My vote is still for him until I see someone that does as well in a variety of positions because in my mind, doing well in one position does not make someone the best football player in the state, regardless of stats.

 

Sorry for my ignorance but what school is he from?

The best player should not just be the best in the only position they play. For example, a great RB that also is a really good LB, is a much better football player than a great QB who does nothing else.

 

 

Thats the difference. Mr. Football is not voted on, the way you think it should be. I'm sorry but It's not.

I'm curiuos, how many of these players where 2 way stars?

 

1986 Frank Jacobs Newport Central Catholic

1987 Kurt Barber Paducah Tilghman

1988 Jeff Brohm Trinity

1989 Pookie Jones Calloway County

1990 Damon Hood Warren Central

1991 Scott Russell Evarts

1992 Billy Jack Haskins Paducah Tilghman

1993 Jeremy Simpson Lincoln County

1994 Shaun Alexander Boone County

1995 Tim Couch Leslie County

1996 Derek Homer Fort Knox

1997 Dennis Johnson Harrodsburg

1998 Jared Lorenzen Ft. Thomas Highlands

1999 Travis Atwell Hancock County

2000 Montrell Jones Male

2001 Jeff Duggins Boyle County

2002 Michael Bush Male

2003 Brian Brohm Trinity

2004 Curtis Pulley Hopkinsville

2005 Micah Johnson Fort Campbell

2006 Douglas Beaumont Male

2007 Corey Robinson

2008 Rolandan "Deuce" Finch St. Xavier

Sorry for my ignorance but what school is he from?

 

He is from Fort Campbell. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.