October 25, 200916 yr Author John Wooden is in the Basketball Hall of Fame, do you want him coaching your team? FWIW, someone from Danville told me that Larry Vaught said the Wall thing is not a big deal and he will probably not miss any games. That is also what Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com has reported.
October 25, 200916 yr Yeah, they pretty much hand out inductions into the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame like they are candy. Who votes on that?
October 26, 200916 yr Obviously no one in Kentucky Seriously. Who does? Do the sportswriters? Is it a vote by other media outlets?
October 26, 200916 yr I would think it's members of the USBWA. Bozich was inducted recently as well. I havent found the answer yet.
October 26, 200916 yr I would think it's members of the USBWA. Bozich was inducted recently as well. I havent found the answer yet. So to qualify as a USBWA do you have to be a beat writer for a college or pro basketball team, and does your newspaper have to have so many subscribers?
October 26, 200916 yr Here is the list of members. Some will call it a who's who of sports writing. Others will call it the list of people who have it in for UK. http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/awards/hall/index.html
October 26, 200916 yr Here is the list of members. Some will call it a who's who of sports writing. Others will call it the list of people who have it in for UK. http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/awards/hall/index.html No Billy Reed? Seriously? I have no problem with Tipton, but how can anyone say he's better than Billy Reed? Reed was a great writer. I assume he's retired, or at least semi-retired because I never see anything from him anymore. And a woman President to boot? That is very shocking. In all seriousness, woman sportswriters are few, and far between aren't they?
October 26, 200916 yr Again, are you mad because the article has Tipton's name associated with it or are you mad because it's right? :thumb:
October 26, 200916 yr No Billy Reed? Seriously? I have no problem with Tipton, but how can anyone say he's better than Billy Reed? Reed was a great writer. I assume he's retired, or at least semi-retired because I never see anything from him anymore. And a woman President to boot? That is very shocking. In all seriousness, woman sportswriters are few, and far between aren't they? Well that's no good. He would be on the list of ones out to get Kentucky. :lol:
October 26, 200916 yr That's from someone that works with Tipton at the Herald-Leader. He goes rogue on many of his negative stories. Apparently somebody pretty important at the HL thinks Tipton does his job pretty well... :idunno:
October 26, 200916 yr Apparently somebody pretty important at the HL thinks Tipton does his job pretty well... :idunno: Doesn't Pitino own the HL? :lol::lol:
October 26, 200916 yr Apparently somebody pretty important at the HL thinks Tipton does his job pretty well... :idunno: There's not too many at the HL with jobs these days. The daily paper has shrunk to very few pages. And the Sunday paper is about the size of what the daily paper used to be. I guess the economy has worked them over too. I know quite a few people who now choose to read the HL on the internet rather than buy a daily. Free internet coverage is not good for business. But I suppose they'll try to hang on to ol' pot-stirring Jerry.
October 26, 200916 yr Once again the print media is a dying industry. Therefore, newspapers can no longer attract top talent. That's why the HL is forced to hang on to guys like Story and Tipton who have nothing to offer than constant negative reporting. It is a last gasp effort to attract readers.
October 26, 200916 yr Once again the print media is a dying industry. Therefore, newspapers can no longer attract top talent. That's why the HL is forced to hang on to guys like Story and Tipton who have nothing to offer than constant negative reporting. It is a last gasp effort to attract readers. Your premise is about as false as it could possibly be. Unless you're getting one of those choice gigs on ESPN like Forde and Andy Katz has, or you're with the Sporting News or Sports Illustrated, the metro daily paper is where you're going to find the best sports writers in the biz. You guys wouldn't be happy unless it was someone doing nothing each and every issue except beating a drum about how all-holy and infalliable UK is.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.