September 3, 200917 yr For the record, I am fine with any of our nation's "leaders" speaking to our youth, as long as there is no indoctrinating. Maybe cch5432 is correct in that these guys can never be trusted though. If you do not want your kids listening to the President because he has not provided a transcript of what he is going to say, do not let them. Simple as that. At some point though you would think acceptable TV programming would include watching a Presidential address to 12 year old kids.
September 3, 200917 yr Skepticism is one thing. The current climate is definitely well beyond skepticsm. People are freaking out because of the current administration. To me, there seems to be no faith in our form of democracy or our constitution. I feel like I live in a nation of Chicken Littles.Funny that you mention climate and Chicken Littles in the same paragraph... But thats for another thread.
September 3, 200917 yr Does bugatti have proof of this? Do you? I was just speculating. My proof is that Obama is a wonderful speaker; but he cannot explain the health bill to a nation full of adults nor do I think he understands it. So I have a hard time believing he is going to be laying out the specifics of a public option in Mrs. Anderson's social studies class and having it click in their heads.
September 3, 200917 yr School-send home a letter explaining the upcoming event with a permission slip. Parent-sign the permission slip allowing their child to participate or forbidding them to participate. This is perfectly reasonable. Is this going to happen?
September 3, 200917 yr Does bugatti have proof of this? Do you? Seems like a simple enough task for anyone...but apparently only I am up to the task: http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html On September 8, 2009, history will be made. Will you be a part of it? At 12:00 p.m., Eastern Time (ET), President Barack Obama will deliver a national address to the students of America. (Please note that this is a change from the originally scheduled time.) During this special address, the president will speak directly to the nation’s children and youth about persisting and succeeding in school. The president will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. The U.S. Department of Education encourages students of all ages, teachers, and administrators to participate in this historic moment by watching the president deliver the address, which will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET. We also encourage educators to use this moment to help students get focused and inspired to begin the new academic year. The Department of Education offers educators a menu of classroom activities—created by its teachers-in-residence, the Teaching Ambassador Fellows—to help engage students in the address and stimulate classroom discussions about the importance of education. To learn more, please see the following: Starting this Friday, you can visit www.ed.gov/iamwhatilearn to find out more. Also are links to the PDFs with encouraged classroom activities.
September 3, 200917 yr This is perfectly reasonable. Is this going to happen? How would I know? :lol: Wouldn't that be up to the school? And apparently, the decision is being made in advance by some schools, such as Hearsay's school.
September 3, 200917 yr I was just speculating. My proof is that Obama is a wonderful speaker; but he cannot explain the health bill to a nation full of adults, so I have a hard time believing he is going to be laying out the specifics of a public option in Mrs. Anderson's social studies class and having it click in their heads.Thanks, RM made it sound to me that you knew what he was going to talk about and that the rest of us were speculating. There is a plethora of issues and pet agendas he could speak to them about. That's why many have a problem with this and I don't blame them.
September 3, 200917 yr Seems like a simple enough task for anyone...but apparently only I am up to the task Well, that's good to know that President Obama will stick to topics that we can all agree on. Still, and you may think I'm reaching, I just don't like the precedent. Note the spelling.
September 3, 200917 yr Seems like a simple enough task for anyone...but apparently only I am up to the task: http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html Also are links to the PDFs with encouraged classroom activities. And you can guarantee parents that's ALL that will be said? If so, fine but as Hearsay said, why does it have to be during school? Why not have it in the evening?
September 3, 200917 yr Well, that's good to know that President Obama will stick to topics that we can all agree on. Still, and you may think I'm reaching, I just don't like the precedent. Note the spelling. Here's my issue with the posts in this thread: I don't like the precedent that people are willing to get into a furor over speculation when they haven't even investigated. They make assumptions and decisions without investigation. The information I linked was readily available. I could have linked it at anytime, but I was being obstinate. The people freaking out could have taken the time to find out what was going on, but it's much more dramatic to start throwing out terms like "indoctrination". Me, I like to find out what's up. So when I hear something, I go seeking more information. I'm not prone to freaking out on the fly.
September 3, 200917 yr And you can guarantee parents that's ALL that will be said? If so, fine but as Hearsay said, why does it have to be during school? Why not have it in the evening?Not all homes have TV's.
September 3, 200917 yr After reading this thread I get the feeling that there's going to be a Nazi agenda pushed in his address to the children and I'm the only one who can't see it coming.
September 3, 200917 yr After reading this thread I get the feeling that there's going to be a Nazi agenda pushed in his address to the children and I'm the only one who can't see it coming. No, I'm apparently right there with you...I'm ignorant as all get out.
September 3, 200917 yr I am not worried or concerned about Mr. Obama's first address to our children. It will contain a very positive message. and receive excellent press. I am terrified of the one's to follow.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.