Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region POY

Featured Replies

I'm not sure if its as clear cut as it has been recently. CCH has 3 legit candidates. The Brake kid might be in the conversation. Hunter Jones might be in the conversation. Am I missing any other kids that have a legit shot?

  • Replies 107
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure but right now the leader has to be Ryan Darner for CovCath. He has 49 RBI's and 5 home runs I think in 25 games. Luke has some nice stats too but Ryan's RBI's and mid .500 average are what puts him ahead of Luke. Then Isler is putting up some ridiculous pitching stats. This is going to be tough.

  • Author
Not sure but right now the leader has to be Ryan Darner for CovCath. He has 49 RBI's and 5 home runs I think in 25 games. Luke has some nice stats too but Ryan's RBI's and mid .500 average are what puts him ahead of Luke. Then Isler is putting up some ridiculous pitching stats. This is going to be tough.

 

Average:

 

Hunter Jones .549

Darner .543

Maile .542

Right now, IMO it's between Darner and Isler for two different reasons. Darner's hitting has been unbelievable and you can't deny the numbers. Isler's pitching has been pretty dominant and his numbers are hard to ignore as well. There are obviously 3 kids from CCH who are in the mix, and I'd say there are a couple others but none as clear as those.

 

Jones will be next year, but I don't see him beating any of the three from CovCath this year.

Average:

 

Hunter Jones .549

Darner .543

Maile .542

 

Hunter has a very nice average but I believe Covington Catholic has played much better teams and thus I believe that Maile and Darner should be given more credit for their averages. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hunter but those are just the facts.

Hunter has a very nice average but I believe Covington Catholic has played much better teams and thus I believe that Maile and Darner should be given more credit for their averages. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hunter but those are just the facts.

 

Here goes the age-old debate...

Here goes the age-old debate...

 

True but a .500 average against good teams is a much better looking and impressive than .500 average against average ones, wouldn't you agree?

 

I'm not saying that Bellevue has played just all average teams as they have played against some good teams but just not the number and caliber of teams that CovCath has played thus far...

Here goes the age-old debate...

 

 

Yes but in this case it is a legit argument.

True but a .500 average against good teams is a much better looking and impressive than .500 average against average ones, wouldn't you agree?

 

I'm not saying that Bellevue has played just all average teams as they have played against some good teams but just not the number and caliber of teams that CovCath has played thus far...

 

This is the very point why there is no comparison...when you play multiple games vs the top 15 ranked teams in the state and the top teams from the 9th a .500 BA is legit. While it is a excellent feat to even hit .500 against your buddies down the street the difference in the quality of the pitching is vast.

Here goes the age-old debate...

 

 

Lets see, proir to Maile winining the POY in his 10th and 11th grade years, it was Farris winning his in his 10th grade year (I believe), so the ninth has not had a POY winner that was a senior for what three or four years now!

 

Sort a puts to rest your statement!

 

This years POY should come down to the wire but at the moment, I would go with Darner. Hitting that many rbi's in, is something special indeed.

Lets see, proir to Maile winining the POY in his 10th and 11th grade years, it was Farris winning his in his 10th grade year (I believe), so the ninth has not had a POY winner that was a senior for what three or four years now!

 

Sort a puts to rest your statement!

 

:thumb:

 

Looks like a senior will finally win it this year and end the drought of underclassmen winning the POY. Last year I believe the serious senior candidates that were in the running were Cody Elliott, Zac Adams, and Cory Farris.

I believe what KyTiger was speaking of is the debate of why it is difficult for a player from a smaller school who play a less difficult schedule to win POY.

This is the very point why there is no comparison...when you play multiple games vs the top 15 ranked teams in the state and the top teams from the 9th a .500 BA is legit. While it is a excellent feat to even hit .500 against your buddies down the street the difference in the quality of the pitching is vast.

 

While I understand your argument you may want to look at the other side before making up your mind. While CCH players see better teams Bellevue has gotten to the point where the teams they play use their best pitcher against them. The players on CCH also have team mates behind them who are very good hitters as where Hunter has some very quality players on his team (Alex Hegge who hits after him and others) but not the depth that CCH has though out the line up. This allows teams to pitch around Hunter who at times gets frustrated and will chase a bad pitch. This out of desire to contribute to his teams efforts. So while CCH players may see more top caliber teams they also see more quality pitches to hit as well. None of the kids mentioned would be a bad choice for POY just gets down to what player of year really is. Is it the player who means most to his team or is it the most talented player. Some like to judge it by team he is on and their record.

I would also throw in Steve Rickles and Andy Roenker from Holy Cross.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.