Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Memphis hires Pastner

Featured Replies

Now waitaminute. Why is this any different from Calipari doing the same thing with Milt Wagner? :confused:

 

It's no different at all. I think it's pathetic to hire someone who has no experience and no validity to a position that is deserved by someone who is actually qualified. I also noticed that Orestes Meeks was on the UK payroll this past year.

 

Like I said - smart, yes.

 

Pathetic, yes.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now waitaminute. Why is this any different from Calipari doing the same thing with Milt Wagner? :confused:

 

Who ever said it was different? It's not being talked about because it didn't just happen. It's not all that complicated to figure out. Not sure why you would be confused....

Who ever said it was different? It's not being talked about because it didn't just happen. It's not all that complicated to figure out. Not sure why you would be confused....

 

Um, because I was roundly dismissed by UK fans as it being no big deal when I raised concerns about how unethical I thought it was when Calipari did the same thing.

Um, because I was roundly dismissed by UK fans as it being no big deal when I raised concerns about how unethical I thought it was when Calipari did the same thing.

 

When was this? I haven't seen a thread about it.

So who are Calipari's assistents and how soon will he hire them?

Does this weigh into all of the recruits decisions?

Just a thought but do you think we could outbid Memphis for Carl Henry as Director of Basketball Operations???:sssh::ylsuper:

Um, because I was roundly dismissed by UK fans as it being no big deal when I raised concerns about how unethical I thought it was when Calipari did the same thing.

 

It's done all over... Even at Duke (See Sheldon Williams and Mike Dunleavy). Personally I think there should be a rule against it... and that’s coming from a UK fan...

So who are Calipari's assistents and how soon will he hire them?

Does this weigh into all of the recruits decisions?

Just a thought but do you think we could outbid Memphis for Carl Henry as Director of Basketball Operations???:sssh::ylsuper:

 

I say this will play a big role. You take two assistants of equal help but one of the coaches have a better recruit in their back pocket then you hire him for the recruit and since he got this guy he may be capable of getting even better the next year or of equal strength. At least I see that becoming a deciding factor.

Does anyone know if Cali's assistants are connect to any big name recruits.

It's done all over... Even at Duke (See Sheldon Williams and Mike Dunleavy). ...

 

Details?

Um, because I was roundly dismissed by UK fans as it being no big deal when I raised concerns about how unethical I thought it was when Calipari did the same thing.

 

Happens all the time...Pitino hired Simeon Mars to ensure Jamal Magloire.

When was this? I haven't seen a thread about it.

 

During all the other threads where concerns were raised about Calipari having a shady edge to him. There wasn't a specific thread about that one point.

It's done all over... Even at Duke (See Sheldon Williams and Mike Dunleavy). Personally I think there should be a rule against it... and that’s coming from a UK fan...

 

Happens all the time...Pitino hired Simeon Mars to ensure Jamal Magloire.

 

I realize it happens all the time. Doesn't make it any less slimy.

It's done all over... Even at Duke (See Sheldon Williams and Mike Dunleavy). Personally I think there should be a rule against it... and that’s coming from a UK fan...

 

Duhon and Boozer family members also received very good jobs after their sons signed with Duke, not quite apples to apples, but close. A lot of the big time programs seem to be guilty of this tactic, including UK.

Some details on the hiring process (from TheMemphisEdge.com):

 

- Avery Johnson and Reggie Theus were not candidates for this job. The Johnson thing was practically laughable, and Theus was just never in the mix.

 

- Memphis made not one, but two runs at Mike Anderson. There was a day in this search when Mike Anderson’s contract negotiations were stalled with Missouri, and there was a window when Memphis might have been able to get Anderson. It just didn’t happen.

 

- Other names that made their way through the rumor mill included Rick Barnes and Herb Sendek. They were total fiction (that’s why they never showed up in news reports), but they were fairly loud rumors on the ground level of this thing.

 

- Anyone who thinks this was part of a grand, complex plan is simply mistaken. Pastner went into the office Monday morning to clean out his office and head to Kentucky. I spent a lot of time talking to Josh this weekend. I can guarantee you, as recently as Sunday, he thought he had no shot to get the Memphis job. But things change.

 

- John Calipari was pushing Tony Barbee for the job. Kellogg had been selected at UMass ahead of Barbee a year ago. Memphis was not going to hire Barbee under any circumstances, simply on principle, due to Calipari’s endorsement.

 

- The local TV reporters, as they usually do, jumped the gun on the Carl Henry to Memphis staff story

 

- I think it’s very likely that Matt Eisele, the coach at Miami-Dade Junior College, ends up with a job at Memphis next year. It would pretty much guarantee that Will Coleman stays. Darnell Dodson is more of a wildcard.

- John Calipari was pushing Tony Barbee for the job. Kellogg had been selected at UMass ahead of Barbee a year ago. Memphis was not going to hire Barbee under any circumstances, simply on principle, due to Calipari’s endorsement.

 

Why would Memphis not even consider the guy endorsed by Calipari, a man who has brought them more high-level continued success than they've ever had in their program? I can understand choosing a better candidate, but to not even consider?

 

That would be like UK telling Pitino, "we don't want Tubby because you're leaving us." Stupid.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.