Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Memphis hires Pastner

Featured Replies

Why would Memphis not even consider the guy endorsed by Calipari, a man who has brought them more high-level continued success than they've ever had in their program? I can understand choosing a better candidated, but to not even consider?

 

That would be like UK telling Pitino, "we don't want Tubby because you're leaving us." Stupid.

 

 

I don't know - I thought it was a little odd, as well. I guess there must be a few sour grapes there.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would Memphis not even consider the guy endorsed by Calipari, a man who has brought them more high-level continued success than they've ever had in their program? I can understand choosing a better candidated, but to not even consider?

 

That would be like UK telling Pitino, "we don't want Tubby because you're leaving us." Stupid.

 

He has done a horrible job at UTEP, that was their biggest fear. Tubby had worked wonders at Tulsa and Georgia. It seems like they still ended up bringing back a Coach Cal guy. Barbee was 53-43 at UTEP with two CBI appearances. If I were a Memphis fan, I would've not wanted him either.

He's only 31 years old. Even with experience as an assistant to some big names, this is an unbelievable gamble.

 

I see Memphis Conference winning streak ending this season. To young and inexperinced of a coach.

He has done a horrible job at UTEP, that was their biggest fear. Tubby had worked wonders at Tulsa and Georgia. It seems like they still ended up bringing back a Coach Cal guy. Barbee was 53-43 at UTEP with two CBI appearances. If I were a Memphis fan, I would've not wanted him either.

 

Makes sense. I really wasn't aware of UTEP's record under Barbee. I was thinking there was at least an NIT berth on his resume, but that was in 2006 under Doc Sadler.

I see Memphis Conference winning streak ending this season. To young and inexperinced of a coach.

 

Yeah, they have really taken a huge gamble with this hire. There's alot more than many realize to running a DI program. He may be great, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Yeah, they have really taken a huge gamble with this hire. There's alot more than many realize to running a DI program. He may be great, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

 

What they can't expect from him is to come in and have the same success at Calipari. He'll need a couple years to get his feet wet. If he can hire good assistants and continue recruiting well, there is no reason to think Memphis can't be at the top of Conference USA every year and probably challenging for a 3-5 seed in the tournament, a la Gonzaga.

I listened to a long interview with him and Tim Brando today. I can't tell you how impressed I was with him! He is VERY well spoken for somebody his age. He has a lot on his plate with zero coaches, players leaving, huge shoes he is stepping into etc. He has a tough task ahead but I will be suprised if he doesn't turn out being a great coach down the road if his X+O's are anything like his attitude etc! He made me want to play for him!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.