Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fab Five II

Featured Replies

Quote from John Wall: Just don't try to put a "Fab Five" label on Wall's class.

 

"We're trying to go in and start our own legacy," he said.

 

 

 

Personally, with the guys UK has coming in, I would like to refer to them as the "sick six":sssh: Or, the "sickest six"

 

Eric Bledsoe

DeMarcus Cousins

Darnell Dodson

Jon Hood

Daniel Orton

John Wall

Edited by Baseballguy

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think UNC has 2 five star and 3 four star.

 

1 five

4 fours

 

Very good class.

The Fab Five coming out of high school looked like this.

 

(1) Chris Webber

(5) Juwan Howard

(8) Jalen Rose

(18) Jimmy King

(48) Ray Jackson

 

 

 

Our "Super Six"

 

(1) PG John Wall

(2) PF DeMarcus Cousins

(22) C Daniel Orton

(23) PG Eric Bledsoe

(40) SG Jon Hood

(NR) SF Darnell Dodson

 

 

Points of interest.

 

* Orton is ranked as high as 12th according to some recruiting sources.

* Jerry Meyer (Rivals) has indicated that if Dodson was a part of this graduating class coming in from high school that he would be top 40.

 

 

So with that said, tough one to call, but I think its safe to say the Fab Five has the edge coming out of high school and with what they accomplished on the court. They had three of the top 10 players in the nation on one squad, that's insane. Also had four in the top 20, also pretty remarkable.

 

However, we have the number one and number two, that is also insane and unprecedented. Thus one could argue Kentucky's class may be equal or better. The game has changed a lot, and prep ranking has became almost a science compared to what it was back then. Compared to Michigan, Kentucky has only two top 10ers, but the two we have are the top two. Say if you brought Orton's ranking of 12 into the picture, add that to 1 and 2 that gives you fifteen. Michigans formula would be 1,5,8, making them fourteen and a number lower. Aside from simple formula though, compare Bledsoe (23) to King (18), Jackson (49) to Hood (40) then add in an extra talent in Dodson, then maybe UK has an argument afterall being they have four in the top 25, four five stars, five in the top forty and six if you could count the way Dodson has been evaluated.

 

So even though I give the nod to the original black show wearing Fab Five due to what they have accomplished, it is clear with my dolamite-matics that the classes are almost too close to call. The fact that the game has changed so much, as with recruiting services you will never be able to get an accurate estimate out of high school, so the future will be the only deciding factor between the "Fab Five", and the "Super Six".

Great breakdown dolamite.

Great breakdown dolamite.

 

thanks. :thumb:

thanks. :thumb:

 

Your star comparision is evidence UK definately holds a lot of water to being the be best class over the Fab 5, can't wait for thr season, well after UK wins their 4th straight Bowl game!

Your star comparision is evidence UK definately holds a lot of water to being the be best class over the Fab 5, can't wait for thr season, well after UK wins their 4th straight Bowl game!

 

I know what you mean. After Brooks brought the football team back to a little bit of prominence it has been fun to enjoy that season as much as possible before heading into a do not know what your going to get basketball season. And after a couple years of hoping we will have a competitive basketball team, we now are so wrapped up in it that Brooks and football doesn't even matter any more. Sad thing is almost the entire defense will be back and we have two stud qb's coming in, as well as some help at Wide-Out. BUT, we all know what we love the best here in good ole KY, and although I will be on the edge of my seat during football season, I will fall in the floor once b-ball tips.

The Fab Five coming out of high school looked like this.

 

(1) Chris Webber

(5) Juwan Howard

(8) Jalen Rose

(18) Jimmy King

(48) Ray Jackson

 

 

 

Our "Super Six"

 

(1) PG John Wall

(2) PF DeMarcus Cousins

(22) C Daniel Orton

(23) PG Eric Bledsoe

(40) SG Jon Hood

(NR) SF Darnell Dodson

 

 

Points of interest.

 

* Orton is ranked as high as 12th according to some recruiting sources.

* Jerry Meyer (Rivals) has indicated that if Dodson was a part of this graduating class coming in from high school that he would be top 40.

 

 

So with that said, tough one to call, but I think its safe to say the Fab Five has the edge coming out of high school and with what they accomplished on the court. They had three of the top 10 players in the nation on one squad, that's insane. Also had four in the top 20, also pretty remarkable.

 

However, we have the number one and number two, that is also insane and unprecedented. Thus one could argue Kentucky's class may be equal or better. The game has changed a lot, and prep ranking has became almost a science compared to what it was back then. Compared to Michigan, Kentucky has only two top 10ers, but the two we have are the top two. Say if you brought Orton's ranking of 12 into the picture, add that to 1 and 2 that gives you fifteen. Michigans formula would be 1,5,8, making them fourteen and a number lower. Aside from simple formula though, compare Bledsoe (23) to King (18), Jackson (49) to Hood (40) then add in an extra talent in Dodson, then maybe UK has an argument afterall being they have four in the top 25, four five stars, five in the top forty and six if you could count the way Dodson has been evaluated.

 

So even though I give the nod to the original black show wearing Fab Five due to what they have accomplished, it is clear with my dolamite-matics that the classes are almost too close to call. The fact that the game has changed so much, as with recruiting services you will never be able to get an accurate estimate out of high school, so the future will be the only deciding factor between the "Fab Five", and the "Super Six".

 

:thumb: Great job! That was what I was looking for. Scary to now think of that talent with 2 future NBA players already on the team!

Okay, so DeMarcus Cousins is as good as Webber and Howard? Not likely.

 

Jon Hood is better than Ray Jackson? Again, not likely.

 

Bledsoe and King-for now, I'll say push, but Bledose may not even start this year or next year if Brandon Knight comes.

 

Wall is more heralded than Rose and more athletic, but Rose was a 6'8' pg. I'll give Wall the edge, but not by much.

 

I understand the hoopla surrounding this class, but I would say that the words "best UK class" ever are way more sensible than "Fab Five II" or "best class ever" as I have heard so much since the Wall signing.

 

I think the only way this class could even be compared to the Fab Five is if all 5 freshmen were starting by tourney time and we all know that isn't happening.

 

If that occurred and someone was able to knock Patterson out of the starting lineup and possibly Meeks, then they would have win it all to be better, IMO.

 

This team will easily be a better team than the Fab Five, but not a better freshman class, as it will be a team led by Patterson and possibly Meeks which gives them something the Fab Five didn't have to rely on....... experience.

 

This is easily the best UK class I have seen in my 34 years of life. I look forward to watching them play and if they gel like I think, I expect at least a final four run for this team. I hope Meeks comes back(it's the right thing to do) and again, despite my allegiance to my beloved Duke Blue Devils, good luck this year, good to see you guys with your chests puffed out again.

Okay, so DeMarcus Cousins is as good as Webber and Howard? Not likely.

 

Jon Hood is better than Ray Jackson? Again, not likely.

 

Bledsoe and King-for now, I'll say push, but Bledose may not even start this year or next year if Brandon Knight comes.

 

Wall is more heralded than Rose and more athletic, but Rose was a 6'8' pg. I'll give Wall the edge, but not by much.

 

I understand the hoopla surrounding this class, but I would say that the words "best UK class" ever are way more sensible than "Fab Five II" or "best class ever" as I have heard so much since the Wall signing.

 

I think the only way this class could even be compared to the Fab Five is if all 5 freshmen were starting by tourney time and we all know that isn't happening.

 

If that occurred and someone was able to knock Patterson out of the starting lineup and possibly Meeks, then they would have win it all to be better, IMO.

 

This team will easily be a better team than the Fab Five, but not a better freshman class, as it will be a team led by Patterson and possibly Meeks which gives them something the Fab Five didn't have to rely on....... experience.

 

This is easily the best UK class I have seen in my 34 years of life. I look forward to watching them play and if they gel like I think, I expect at least a final four run for this team. I hope Meeks comes back(it's the right thing to do) and again, despite my allegiance to my beloved Duke Blue Devils, good luck this year, good to see you guys with your chests puffed out again.

 

I agree that this is a tough comparison. The standards that you lay out after the fact are impossible however. Michigan did not have anyone returning of the level of Meeks, much less Patterson. To say they must beat those guys out is unrealistic. To say we cant truly compare them because of that, I agree.

I agree that this is a tough comparison. The standards that you lay out after the fact are impossible however. Michigan did not have anyone returning of the level of Meeks, much less Patterson. To say they must beat those guys out is unrealistic. To say we cant truly compare them because of that, I agree.

 

That is very true. Michigan was awful when they arrived and saved the day. I think Eric Riley is the only bench person who played consistently after they arrived.

 

Part of the reason I put beating those guys out in there is because I still don't see all 5 freshmen being worthy of starting even if Meeks and Patterson weren't there. I definitely agree that we truly can't compare them because of that as well.

 

Just another comparison nugget, in the Mickey D's game when the Fab 5 -1 played(Ray Jackson wasn't a Mickey D' all star) the 4 that did play were 4 of the top 6 players on a court that had Alan Henderson, Donyell Marshall, Glen Robinson, James Forrest and many others on the court. Chris Webber set a scoring record of 28 points(which has been broken since then), Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard showcased an ability to blend in as a team, Jimmy King won the dunk contest......they were extremely talented.

 

Going by the rankings it is a heck of a coup for UK and Calipari. Easily one of the top 5 incoming classes of all time and probably the 2nd best after the Fab 5.

I think it would be more accurate to say that on paper this year's UK class is very comparable to the Fab Five, but how that translates to on-court success is another story.

I understand the hoopla surrounding this class, but I would say that the words "best UK class" ever are way more sensible than "Fab Five II" or "best class ever" as I have heard so much since the Wall signing.

 

Just as long as you don't think its only UK fans saying it, thats fine.

 

Kentucky is like Fab Five all over again...

Okay, so DeMarcus Cousins is as good as Webber and Howard? Not likely.

 

Jon Hood is better than Ray Jackson? Again, not likely.

 

Bledsoe and King-for now, I'll say push, but Bledose may not even start this year or next year if Brandon Knight comes.

 

Wall is more heralded than Rose and more athletic, but Rose was a 6'8' pg. I'll give Wall the edge, but not by much.

 

I understand the hoopla surrounding this class, but I would say that the words "best UK class" ever are way more sensible than "Fab Five II" or "best class ever" as I have heard so much since the Wall signing.

 

I think the only way this class could even be compared to the Fab Five is if all 5 freshmen were starting by tourney time and we all know that isn't happening.

 

If that occurred and someone was able to knock Patterson out of the starting lineup and possibly Meeks, then they would have win it all to be better, IMO.

 

This team will easily be a better team than the Fab Five, but not a better freshman class, as it will be a team led by Patterson and possibly Meeks which gives them something the Fab Five didn't have to rely on....... experience.

 

This is easily the best UK class I have seen in my 34 years of life. I look forward to watching them play and if they gel like I think, I expect at least a final four run for this team. I hope Meeks comes back(it's the right thing to do) and again, despite my allegiance to my beloved Duke Blue Devils, good luck this year, good to see you guys with your chests puffed out again.

 

Good post, I especially agree with the bolded parts.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.