Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What does it say about Gillispie's recruiting....

Featured Replies

...when five of his recruits don't last three days under the new coach? System players? Not as talented as what Calipari can bring in? First players to say yes to the new coach?

 

When you go back and look at the threads, it was obvious that UK was whiffing on a lot of the top ranked recruits and that many never even listed UK in their final list. Yet, he was hailed as a great recruiter when he took the job two years ago. Was this another case of UK not doing their homework when they hired BCG?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is the same people who are ripping Gillespie's recruits are many of the same people touting them as great a few months back.

  • Author

I dont think you'll find any posts from me touting the players he signed at UK. Tireless worker maybe, but never came close to a top class

I don't think it reflects too bad on Billy G. A new coach who has his own ideas and several recruits wanting to follow him to UK. He is the coach now and he can't give out scholarships to all recruits and those that follow him to UK. We would have had a good recruiting class this year with Billy G, it's just a numbers game.

I don't think its a lack of recruiting as much as Cal is an elite recruiter. Cal won't bring on many project players, they will come ready to play.

 

I loved Cal's quote... "I can't hide you." Meaning the kids on UK's roster are meant to be there.

Cal might be the elite of the elite when it comes to recruiting. Lets face it this past year he out recruited everyone..........

He wasn't recruiting well, and I was pointing it out the whole time. Working really hard is great, and the opposite of what was said to be the case with Tubby's staff. Both produced about the same results...

Cal won't bring on many project players, they will come ready to play.

 

 

That part is not true at all. If you think it will be all high 4 and 5 star recruits you are mistaken about how he does things...

To tell the truth, I got a little concerned with the offers everywhere and especially when the 8th grader commited. The "iffyness" (if that is even a word) of a kid that young is off the charts.

That part is not true at all. If you think it will be all high 4 and 5 star recruits you are mistaken about how he does things...

 

This is interesting because that might need to be changed to "did things". I think part of what is exciting about this whole hire is he has been able to bring in the best to Memphis Tenn. He now has the backing of arguably the most storied program in college basketball history. As a UK fan that along with his system/NBA experience are what have me so excited. The table is set to produce a factory IMO. I've said it many times but it's the feeling I had when I saw R. Williams was going to UNC.

I get a kick out of people on Coach K. You think he forgot how to coach... no he just took a huge hit when Roy came to town. You and I have both noted they like KY hurt at PG.

This is interesting because that might need to be changed to "did things". I think part of what is exciting about this whole hire is he has been able to bring in the best to Memphis Tenn. He now has the backing of arguably the most storied program in college basketball history. As a UK fan that along with his system/NBA experience are what have me so excited. The table is set to produce a factory IMO. I've said it many times but it's the feeling I had when I saw R. Williams was going to UNC.

I get a kick out of people on Coach K. You think he forgot how to coach... no he just took a huge hit when Roy came to town. You and I have both noted they like KY hurt at PG.

 

If you think he's only going to bring in Top 50 kids, I'm not sure what to tell you...

He wasn't recruiting well, and I was pointing it out the whole time. Working really hard is great, and the opposite of what was said to be the case with Tubby's staff. Both produced about the same results...

 

I Agree 100%. The effort was definitely there, but some of his recruits were very questionable, especially the young ones. I could understand if you knew they were going to be a top 10 player early and they were ready to sign. But Euton signing early, made me think what type of recruiter BCG was to begin with. Ferguson, Orton and Hood are the 3 that can play, the others need to go lower in their level of play. Like Cal said, most of his recruits are not UK type recruits.

That part is not true at all. If you think it will be all high 4 and 5 star recruits you are mistaken about how he does things...
I looked at one site's rankings and in the last three years ('07, '08, and '09) he only brought in 4 and 5 star recruits. I have no problems differing to you when it comes to recruiting but it seems that is all he has been bringing in to Memphis.
This is interesting because that might need to be changed to "did things". I think part of what is exciting about this whole hire is he has been able to bring in the best to Memphis Tenn. He now has the backing of arguably the most storied program in college basketball history.
Which still doesn't mean all that much to many of the kids Calipari is marketing the program to ...
I looked at one site's rankings and in the last three years ('07, '08, and '09) he only brought in 4 and 5 star recruits. I have no problems differing to you when it comes to recruiting but it seems that is all he has been bringing in to Memphis.

 

He's had quite a few low 4 and high 3 star kids in there since 05. Still very talented, but kids that weren't ready to explode right away. He will bring in these kids in the 51-150 range as 4 year guys to sustain the one and done types along the way. Look at the Memphis roster over the last 4 years real hard before you think every kid was Rose or Evans...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.