Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New rumors...

Featured Replies

Smokescreens abound boys and girls...not sure how strong my info is, but dont write Donovan off just yet.

Maybe right...maybe wrong...but got word that Donovan is not out of the mix, yet.

 

I think the only thing holding him back is How much he is anchored down in Florida with his family's lives...Just a thought...:idunno:

  • Replies 84
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lee Todd is 100% involved in the hiring process this time and Travis Ford is way high on his list because of the KY ties. Travis is on the short list.I got this stright this morning from a member of the UK board of athletics. I also got a boat load of scoop on the whole situation.

 

What is the deals witht he Kentucky connections? I have a Kentucky connection does that qualify me to coach? The last time I checked Adolph Rupp was hired without any UK connections, and Rick Pitino was hired without any UK connections. The new coach needs to be a proven winner who can handle the pressure of the job. I dont care if they have any connection with Kentucky or not.

What is the deals witht he Kentucky connections? I have a Kentucky connection does that qualify me to coach? The last time I checked Adolph Rupp was hired without any UK connections, and Rick Pitino was hired without any UK connections. The new coach needs to be a proven winner who can handle the pressure of the job. I dont care if they have any connection with Kentucky or not.

 

Exactly. :thumb: All I want for UK is to win and nothing else. I don't care if they are a little moody and rude to a reporter or 2 . Or the athletic director and him aren't best buds:madman:, ALL I WANT IS TO WIN!!!

It would be dumb for Calipari to leave Memphis for Kentucky.

 

You ever been to Memphis? That's a dirty dangerous town. I wouldn't want to live there...

I heard from a reliable source....

 

Joe B. and Denny are bringing their tandem coaching experience to lex!

 

What a great get!

It would be dumb for Calipari to leave Memphis for Kentucky.

 

Nothing against you but this could probably be one of the worst posts I have ever witnessed being the situation.

 

 

 

So your saying it would be dumb to leave a C-USA school which has zero tradition, (other than what he has brought in) and stay in a town that is run down, grimmy, among other things rather than come to Kentucky.

 

Like I have said in a previous thread, Kentucky is the type of place Calipari can come into and then retire at. I don't see Memphis being that type of spot. In sports there is something called the coaching ladder and like it or not regardless of what has happened this decade, when it comes to college basketball Kentucky is still with a handful of teams who sit atop of this latter. Memphis on the other hand is about mid-rung, and it is only that high because John Cal has made it that way.

 

So sorry to disagree I just see no way you could think that when given the obvious.

Just scrolled across the bottom on ESPN News that Calipari will likely stay Memphis head coach.

In no way whatsoever should John Calipari be allowed to become the next coach of UK and here's why....

 

1. He has never won the big game. He made it to the Championship game last year and blew it. 9 point lead with 2 minutes left......He hadn't been to the final four since 1996 before then when he lost to the best UK team ever(arguably). When it comes to big games, the so called great Calipari teams lose....see the Missouri game this past Thursday.

 

2. He is no greater coach than Billy G. This goes back to my number 1., but he has won in two mediocre conferences, Conference USA and the A-10, he cannot, I repeat cannot beat the big schools in the big conferences and he hasn't been couldn't even beat Bruce Pearl with Derrick Rose last year and he couldn't beat Georgetown(who lost in round 1 of the NIT) this year. Anybody with the recruits(I'll get to that in number 3) he has gotten should win and post 30 win seasons in the Conference USA or the A-10, so of course he looks like a great recruiter. The best thing that happened to Calipari was that Louisville went to the Big East because now he wins the conference all of the time.

 

3. Yeah, he can recruit, but he can't win. He still hasn't learned how to beat the big boys yet, and can any UK fan honestly say that they would be happy with getting the best recruits but for some reason we still can't win? He'd get ran out of town also.

 

4. He has no reason to leave Memphis. Why, because there is no way he could come back to Lexington after getting manhandled by Missouri and not be publicly reprimanded by the fans. UK wins 30+ games, they win the SEC, but they lose to a non traditional basketball school named Missouri in that fashion? Do you honestly think the fans in Memphis are calling in radio shows right now calling for his head? They are satisfied with Cal in Memphis and he would have a meltdown working in this climate the same way Rick had one in Boston except Calipari would be saying......

 

"Antoine Walker isn't walking through that door. Ron Mercer isn't walking through that door, okay, Tony Delk isn't walking through that door, people. You people need to realize this isn't the past."

 

Yep, I can hear the meltdown already.

 

He wouldn't be able to handle it. Calipari isn't the right man for the job. I hope Mitch and Lee and the search committee take the time to find that out. Calipari is a padded resume version of Billy G.

 

IMO.

  • Author
In no way whatsoever should John Calipari be allowed to become the next coach of UK and here's why....

 

1. He has never won the big game. He made it to the Championship game last year and blew it. 9 point lead with 2 minutes left......He hadn't been to the final four since 1996 before then when he lost to the best UK team ever(arguably). When it comes to big games, the so called great Calipari teams lose....see the Missouri game this past Thursday.

 

2. He is no greater coach than Billy G. This goes back to my number 1., but he has won in two mediocre conferences, Conference USA and the A-10, he cannot, I repeat cannot beat the big schools in the big conferences and he hasn't been couldn't even beat Bruce Pearl with Derrick Rose last year and he couldn't beat Georgetown(who lost in round 1 of the NIT) this year. Anybody with the recruits(I'll get to that in number 3) he has gotten should win and post 30 win seasons in the Conference USA or the A-10, so of course he looks like a great recruiter. The best thing that happened to Calipari was that Louisville went to the Big East because now he wins the conference all of the time.

 

3. Yeah, he can recruit, but he can't win. He still hasn't learned how to beat the big boys yet, and can any UK fan honestly say that they would be happy with getting the best recruits but for some reason we still can't win? He'd get ran out of town also.

 

4. He has no reason to leave Memphis. Why, because there is no way he could come back to Lexington after getting manhandled by Missouri and not be publicly reprimanded by the fans. UK wins 30+ games, they win the SEC, but they lose to a non traditional basketball school named Missouri in that fashion? Do you honestly think the fans in Memphis are calling in radio shows right now calling for his head? They are satisfied with Cal in Memphis and he would have a meltdown working in this climate the same way Rick had one in Boston except Calipari would be saying......

 

"Antoine Walker isn't walking through that door. Ron Mercer isn't walking through that door, okay, Tony Delk isn't walking through that door, people. You people need to realize this isn't the past."

 

Yep, I can hear the meltdown already.

 

He wouldn't be able to handle it. Calipari isn't the right man for the job. I hope Mitch and Lee and the search committee take the time to find that out. Calipari is a padded resume version of Billy G.

 

IMO.

 

I bolded the parts I disagree with.

 

1. Free throw shooting cost Memphis that game. Should they practice free throws? Yes. But Calipari didn't blow that game. He had a CUSA team three seconds away from a National Championship. This year was suppose to be rebuilding but he made the right changes in his line-up that propelled them to greater things. Prior to the season, Memphis wasn't even a top ten team.

 

2. Calipari has been coaching for years in both the NCAA and NBA. You have to know how to coach if you're going to have those opportunities, and he does.

 

3. Beat the big boys? He went to Tennessee and won. Beat Gonzaga, Georgetown among others. Beat all the teams he needed to last year to make it to the championship game, including UCLA in the Final Four.

 

4. There is this thing that's called "ego." Calipari's is one of the biggest in the business. He knows how to sweet talk anyone he comes in contact with and knows how big he can be if he is at Kentucky. He is media savvy and a hell of a recruiter. Something that Barnhart is looking for in the next coach.

In no way whatsoever should John Calipari be allowed to become the next coach of UK and here's why....

 

1. He has never won the big game. He made it to the Championship game last year and blew it. 9 point lead with 2 minutes left......He hadn't been to the final four since 1996 before then when he lost to the best UK team ever(arguably). When it comes to big games, the so called great Calipari teams lose....see the Missouri game this past Thursday.

 

2. He is no greater coach than Billy G. This goes back to my number 1., but he has won in two mediocre conferences, Conference USA and the A-10, he cannot, I repeat cannot beat the big schools in the big conferences and he hasn't been couldn't even beat Bruce Pearl with Derrick Rose last year and he couldn't beat Georgetown(who lost in round 1 of the NIT) this year. Anybody with the recruits(I'll get to that in number 3) he has gotten should win and post 30 win seasons in the Conference USA or the A-10, so of course he looks like a great recruiter. The best thing that happened to Calipari was that Louisville went to the Big East because now he wins the conference all of the time.

 

3. Yeah, he can recruit, but he can't win. He still hasn't learned how to beat the big boys yet, and can any UK fan honestly say that they would be happy with getting the best recruits but for some reason we still can't win? He'd get ran out of town also.

 

4. He has no reason to leave Memphis. Why, because there is no way he could come back to Lexington after getting manhandled by Missouri and not be publicly reprimanded by the fans. UK wins 30+ games, they win the SEC, but they lose to a non traditional basketball school named Missouri in that fashion? Do you honestly think the fans in Memphis are calling in radio shows right now calling for his head? They are satisfied with Cal in Memphis and he would have a meltdown working in this climate the same way Rick had one in Boston except Calipari would be saying......

 

"Antoine Walker isn't walking through that door. Ron Mercer isn't walking through that door, okay, Tony Delk isn't walking through that door, people. You people need to realize this isn't the past."

 

Yep, I can hear the meltdown already.

 

He wouldn't be able to handle it. Calipari isn't the right man for the job. I hope Mitch and Lee and the search committee take the time to find that out. Calipari is a padded resume version of Billy G.

 

IMO.

 

This is hilarious. I don't agree but this is funny.

I bolded the parts I disagree with.

 

1. Free throw shooting cost Memphis that game. Should they practice free throws? Yes. But Calipari didn't blow that game. He had a CUSA team three seconds away from a National Championship. This year was suppose to be rebuilding but he made the right changes in his line-up that propelled them to greater things. Prior to the season, Memphis wasn't even a top ten team.

 

2. Calipari has been coaching for years in both the NCAA and NBA. You have to know how to coach if you're going to have those opportunities, and he does.

 

3. Beat the big boys? He went to Tennessee and won. Beat Gonzaga, Georgetown among others. Beat all the teams he needed to last year to make it to the championship game, including UCLA in the Final Four.

 

4. There is this thing that's called "ego." Calipari's is one of the biggest in the business. He knows how to sweet talk anyone he comes in contact with and knows how big he can be if he is at Kentucky. He is media savvy and a hell of a recruiter. Something that Barnhart is looking for in the next coach.

 

:thumb:

I bolded the parts I disagree with.

 

1. Free throw shooting cost Memphis that game. Should they practice free throws? Yes. But Calipari didn't blow that game. He had a CUSA team three seconds away from a National Championship. This year was suppose to be rebuilding but he made the right changes in his line-up that propelled them to greater things. Prior to the season, Memphis wasn't even a top ten team.

 

2. Calipari has been coaching for years in both the NCAA and NBA. You have to know how to coach if you're going to have those opportunities, and he does.

 

3. Beat the big boys? He went to Tennessee and won. Beat Gonzaga, Georgetown among others. Beat all the teams he needed to last year to make it to the championship game, including UCLA in the Final Four.

 

4. There is this thing that's called "ego." Calipari's is one of the biggest in the business. He knows how to sweet talk anyone he comes in contact with and knows how big he can be if he is at Kentucky. He is media savvy and a hell of a recruiter. Something that Barnhart is looking for in the next coach.

 

 

 

We'll agree to disagree.

 

1. Free throw shooting is such an important thing in basketball games that if your team, not just one player, but your team isn't hitting free throws, then you aren't working on it enough at all, and I blame the coach. Some blame the players, I blame the coach. 9 point lead with 2 minutes left, that's all I am saying.....the Jayhawks 2008 NCAA trophy speaks for itself.

 

2. So he's been able to get good jobs. Big deal. I work with guys who have been mechanics for 30+ years, that doesn't make them good mechanics.

 

3. Yes, those are big games, but he didn't win the biggest game. You may be different from most UK fans, but I know plenty that still wouldn't be satisfied with losing a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left because they couldn't hit free throws. A team that was the worst or one of the worst free throw shooting teams in last year's tourney I might add.

 

4. An "ego" got fired yesterday.

 

Calipari is not the man. I can do this all day against him.

  • Author

Maggard said if someone gave him ten grand to bet on the next coach, he would still go with Donovan.

 

He says Donovan is in Lexington as we speak, from what he hears.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it amazes me that some of you still think Donovan is coming.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.