Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why come to UK???

Featured Replies

I'd trade him up, personally, for either Donovan or Calipari (check spelling). Other than that, I'd rather have him here to see what he can do.

  • Replies 106
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where were the other two? Did they win championships at there previous jobs?

 

Did Roy win a championship at his previous job?

  • Author
I remember Billy D complaining about the attendance during the year.

 

If true, I think this is a best point I have seen from your side. :thumb:

  • Author
Did Roy win a championship at his previous job?

 

no, but I stated why Roy came home. :thumb:

Why come to UK? That's a good question. Let's look at the last five coaches.

 

Joe B. Hall was not revered and never really shook the shadow of the "Baron." People thought he couldn't coach when he lost to Louisville in the original "Dream Game" or the infamous 1984 Final Four meltdown.

 

Eddie Sutton was not here long enough to leave an "on-court" legacy. Unfortuanately for him (and Big Blue Nation), DUI's, scandals and the like are why he is remembered.

 

Rick Pitino caught lightning in a bottle for about five years in Kentucky (1992-1997). He brought back the excitement and elevated the program to a level it had not reached in more than a decade and has not since reached since he left. Still, for some reason he chose to go. No one, including Ricky P. himself, knows why he left, but that ship sailed about a dozen years ago and it is highly unlikely that Pitino himself could match his own feats.

 

Tubby Smith came in with a shelf full of legitimate D1 talent. That statement does not take away from his ability with X's and O's, but he stayed nine more seasons and left the cupboard nearly bare. Smith can coach, but there is more to running a big time program than what takes place on the sidelines. He is a class act, but his departure was about two years past due.

 

That leads us to the current (for now) coach. BCG is neither the best or worst coach that could be at UK. He could be very good, but we will never know if he is fired this week. In all fairness, he does not have a lot of good players yet. That is not the fault of 10 or 12 student athletes that were left here, but it is also not BCG's fault. He has not had time to recruit the kind of D1 talent it takes to compete at a high level. He might have done better with what he has, but it's hard to make chicken salad out of that other stuff that comes from chickens.

 

But, if he is fired, I can understand why a lot of quality coaches would say "Thanks, but no thanks." High expectations are a good thing as long as they are not unrealistic, but I am afraid those of us wearing "Big Blue Blinders" are sometimes unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

 

Quality coaches wouldn't see failure as an option, their egos would lead them to believe they had no shot at failing. IMO.

 

I understand that, but for some reason we got turned down by the first two or three choices the last time.:confused:

no, but I stated why Roy came home. :thumb:

 

well, I was asking, what about the other two. You still haven't answered.

  • Author
well, I was asking, what about the other two. You still haven't answered.

 

None of the three had championships and Billy does, so that makes the situation different...

None of the three had championships and Billy does, so that makes the situation different...

 

Oh, I got you, good point actually.

None of the three had championships and Billy does, so that makes the situation different...

 

He has them and is already forgotten down there. He's got an ego that needs support.

If you can be successful at UK nothing can really compete IMO. The fans are so passionate about the team and will follow you to the end of the earth. I heard someone say that UK could play Union College in July and sale 23,000 seats in Rupp Arena. Granted I think the UK coach needs to be charismatic and able to impress the fanbase the way a Rick Pitino or Adolph Rupp could do.

 

The one guy who I believe UK had a shot at getting at this point that would fit in well here is John Callipari. JMO.

I just don't see how any coach can look at the BCG situation and say "those fanatical UK fans..." BCG's personality simply does not work in Lexington! I would venture to guess that even with the same W-L record, if he had not had the Jeannine conflicts, took on Tom Leach, the general rudeness to players, etc, then he would not be on the hot seat. UK may have some crazy fans, but you can't blame this one on us. It's all on the coach. He may have been in over his head, but he was unwilling to budge even one inch.

Tubby won.

 

Coach Smith did very well until Chuck Hayes graduated. By then his recruiting had taken a nose dive and UK did not appear to be going forward. Besides its tough to replace a legend and thats what Tubby Smith had to do. I think a coach would come in and play an uptempo style would really please UK fans as well.

Ok, almost everyone on here knows I am not a UK fan, but I think it lets me look at it with unbiased glasses.

 

Billy D... Why would he leave Florida for any school that is not a NBA team. I think the gators can pay close to what UK can and will. Why come to a place where, you are loved or hated by how you do in your last game? I think if he stays in Florida, he becomes a legend by the time he retires. Have courts named after him, ect... He can get the same level recruits there, that he can here, so he has the same chance of winning more championships there as here.

 

The same goes for John Calipari.

 

I think Pelphrey and Ford, want to be here, because they were raised with Blue blood and played for UK.

 

I am open for debate...

 

I think we have all been down this road before.The reasons are way too obvious.

I have seen a lot of really good reasons to come to UK in this thread, anybody else?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.