March 26, 200917 yr Kentucky still talks glowingly about the 1948 national title. We revere the 1978 team. Many people in Kentucky think the 1996 team was the best ten players to walk on the court at the same time. Hang two banners in Rupp Arena and you're king. Hang two in Florida and half the gym is empty two years later. :ylsuper:
March 26, 200917 yr Pancake... Why did Roy Williams go to UNC? Why did Tom Cream go to IU? Why did Ben Howland go to UCLA? Should I go on? Because it is clear some jobs are more valuable than others. Plain and simple.
March 26, 200917 yr I have a question for you. Would you rather be the coach of a school where you won two championships, retire there and be the legend. Have a court named after you and considered the best coach ever at that university. Or would you rather go to another school where if you had two season like you just had, your head would be on the chopping block and even if you did win big, you would never be considered the best in schools history??? If he had won 2 national championships then had 2 yrs like he's had while at UK, the fans would NOT be calling for his head. If he hadn't won those championships those years, the Florida fan base would be calling for his head right now. You fail to mention the championships. Not even UK fans would be that crazy. To answer your question though... I would rather be known for taking the most storied basketball program to restored glory than to have some court named after me in Gainsville at a football school. If he does come to UK, he will restore UK back to prominence and he would then be considered the greatest coach in the country, no questions about it. He will never have that at Florida, he will just be the greatest coach Florida has ever had and that's not saying too much.
March 26, 200917 yr Here are a few 1. Play infront of 23,500 of the best fans in college bball. Best fans is your opinion, but may also be the fastest fans to turn on you 2. Win and you are a legend. He can do the same at Florida 3. For Billy D. he would be coaching at his old job and coaching at a bball school. He was just an assistant. He was not raised as a UK fan. He doesn't have the same love for UK as you do. 4. For Calipari he would be coaching at the most storied program in college bball instead of Memphis who has a fraction of the history at UK. He seems to be making his own history at Memphis... You're wrong on number 2. There are no basketball legends at Florida. They still treat it as a diversion between football and spring football. Sure they got behind the team when they were winning back to back Championships but nothing like the football program. As for Calipari, he still hasn't won a Championshiip at Memphis and his easy conference is actually being seen as detrimental to the Tigers. It for sure lowered their seed this year and going 2 months of playing weak competition in conference is bound to bite them in the Tourney. Besides, to coach at Memphis he las to live IN Memphis. Who wouldn't want to get out of there.
March 26, 200917 yr You have to be kidding about Joe B. Hall. There were many fans calling for his job his last few years at Kentucky. That is true. Many fans felt he needed to retire before he did. The big difference today and what made it so much tougher for Tubby and now for Billy Clyde is the internet. So many opinions shared 24/7 by thousands of people at the click of mouse was never a problem for Hall or Pitino as it was OTS and BCG.
March 26, 200917 yr Author Do you really think Florida fans covet the basketball titles like the UK fan base? Can you seriously think they are the same thing? Is every coach who wins a title remembered forever without fail, or do we remember certain coaches more than others because of the schools they coached. Think about it a bit. I think we remember the coach for who they are? Knight - I don't know how many titles, but all the crazy stuff is what I remember. Wooden - Not sure how many he had, but he dominated. I think if you have great teams over a perios of time, they will remember you.
March 26, 200917 yr If he had won 2 national championships then had 2 yrs like he's had while at UK, the fans would NOT be calling for his head. If he hadn't won those championships those years, the Florida fan base would be calling for his head right now. You fail to mention the championships. Not even UK fans would be that crazy. To answer your question though... I would rather be known for taking the most storied basketball program to restored glory than to have some court named after me in Gainsville at a football school. If he does come to UK, he will restore UK back to prominence and he would then be considered the greatest coach in the country, no questions about it. He will never have that at Florida, he will just be the greatest coach Florida has ever had and that's not saying too much. I would even mention, as a minor point, I haven't saw any stories about Florida on PTI or the like lately, why? They aren't one of "the jobs" in basketball. On the other hand you can count on UK being "stories" at least a couple times a year on the national shows because they are UK. I'm just using PTI as an example, but it certaintly isn't the only case of national exposure difference in the programs.
March 26, 200917 yr I think we remember the coach for who they are? Knight - I don't know how many titles, but all the crazy stuff is what I remember. Wooden - Not sure how many he had, but he dominated. I think if you have great teams over a perios of time, they will remember you. What point are you trying to make then?:confused:
March 26, 200917 yr So his two championships would mean more at UK than Florida? If so explain... Yes. Absolutely. To put it in perspective, .... he and Myer both have 2 national titles. Pretty phenomenal. Yet, the hoops squad can't fill up the arena unless it is a BIGTIME rivalry game whereas in a down year, UK still has 23,000 at every home game. They packed Memorial for the NIT game and thousands of folks were disappointed that they couldn't get a ticket. As much as I hate to admit (being that IMHO, football is the greatest game God ever created), .... in Kentucky, basketball is king. In Florida, football is king. It is really that simple.
March 26, 200917 yr I think we remember the coach for who they are? Knight - I don't know how many titles, but all the crazy stuff is what I remember. Wooden - Not sure how many he had, but he dominated. I think if you have great teams over a perios of time, they will remember you. But you normally only remember them if they WIN. Knight won 3 titles Wooden won 10 titles
March 26, 200917 yr Yes. Absolutely. To put it in perspective, .... he and Myer both have 2 national titles. Pretty phenomenal. Yet, the hoops squad can't fill up the arena unless it is a BIGTIME rivalry game whereas in a down year, UK still has 23,000 at every home game. They packed Memorial for the NIT game and thousands of folks were disappointed that they couldn't get a ticket. As much as I hate to admit (being that IMHO, football is the greatest game God ever created), .... in Kentucky, basketball is king. In Florida, football is king. It is really that simple. :thumb:
March 26, 200917 yr I am sure he does not coach for the fans. So you think that it would mean more to him? It's clear that you are not a UK fan. So, you just don't get it when it comes to UK. To say that you have an unbiased opinion since you are not a UK fan is hogwash, you have to be completely unbiased and it's clear that you do not like UK. Goodnight ALL!!!!
March 26, 200917 yr Author Pancake... Why did Roy Williams go to UNC? Why did Tom Cream go to IU? Why did Ben Howland go to UCLA? Should I go on? I can't speak for Tom and Ben. Roy: was raised a Heel fan, played ball there, coached there under Smith who is still there, had a house in North carolina the whole time he coached at Kansas, his son played at UNC when he coached at Kansas and his daughter played a sport there too. Last but not least, Dean Smith asked (some say pleaded) with Roy to save his old school that he had STRONG ties too...
March 26, 200917 yr Author It's clear that you are not a UK fan. So, you just don't get it when it comes to UK. To say that you have an unbiased opinion since you are not a UK fan is hogwash, you have to be completely unbiased and it's clear that you do not like UK. Goodnight ALL!!!! Now don't go away mad... :lol: Billy is not a UK fan, well he was not raised as a UK fan growing up... I am just having a friendly debate here...
March 26, 200917 yr I can't speak for Tom and Ben. Roy: was raised a Heel fan, played ball there, coached there under Smith who is still there, had a house in North carolina the whole time he coached at Kansas, his son played at UNC when he coached at Kansas and his daughter played a sport there too. Last but not least, Dean Smith asked (some say pleaded) with Roy to save his old school that he had STRONG ties too... So, Tom and Ben? Anything? In the coaching world, Kentucky is a step up from Florida. I don't really know how you can't see that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.