Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU Grade Exceptions???

Featured Replies

Isn't it time for the AAU to abolish this silly rule? Why can't apples play apples instead of apples playing oranges on ego trips? Kids play Pop Warner football, can you imagine this rule if it existed in football?? There would be an uprising.............10 year old kids should be playing other 10's, and 12's should be playing 12's. If you wanted your kid to play "up", then that would be your prerogative. Stop the nonsense AAU.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple solution, if you dont like it then hold your kid back a grade and let him play as a grade exception in a younger division like many do all over the country. I don't like it but it is what it is and it isnt going away and all you can do is roll the ball out and play. With it only allowing 3 per team I don't think it is that big of a deal. If you really want to compete and play for trophies then I say go out and "get yours" and play to win.

 

Its all about philosophies and my son's team plays to get better and prepare for HS ball. They don't formulate a team to try and win State or National Championships.

 

I can already see the whips and the horses on this thread. Those poor horses. LOL

Simple solution, if you dont like it then hold your kid back a grade and let him play as a grade exception in a younger division like many do all over the country. I don't like it but it is what it is and it isnt going away and all you can do is roll the ball out and play. With it only allowing 3 per team I don't think it is that big of a deal. If you really want to compete and play for trophies then I say go out and "get yours" and play to win.

 

Its all about philosophies and my son's team plays to get better and prepare for HS ball. They don't formulate a team to try and win State or National Championships.

 

I can already see the whips and the horses on this thread. Those poor horses. LOL

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Find me one parent, or child for that matter, who have been held back that thinks it was a mistake. I'll be waiting.......

Isn't it time for the AAU to abolish this silly rule? Why can't apples play apples instead of apples playing oranges on ego trips? Kids play Pop Warner football, can you imagine this rule if it existed in football?? There would be an uprising.............10 year old kids should be playing other 10's, and 12's should be playing 12's. If you wanted your kid to play "up", then that would be your prerogative. Stop the nonsense AAU.

 

Just an FYI. AAU has a rule with grade exceptions, some don't even have a rule. For example, USSSA is grade based, which means your entire team could be holdbacks. And, middle school basketball is not governed by holdbacks. I believe the entire South Laurel team (at least the kids that played) was made up of holdbacks. Having said that, if you are going to play get used to it. Otherwise, don't play. Scott County had only one holdback for the past 2 years on its team that won the state in 7th grade and made the Final 8 in 8th grade. So, it is possible for a team without holdbacks to compete.

  • Author
Just an FYI. AAU has a rule with grade exceptions, some don't even have a rule. For example, USSSA is grade based, which means your entire team could be holdbacks. And, middle school basketball is not governed by holdbacks. I believe the entire South Laurel team (at least the kids that played) was made up of holdbacks. Having said that, if you are going to play get used to it. Otherwise, don't play. Scott County had only one holdback for the past 2 years on its team that won the state in 7th grade and made the Final 8 in 8th grade. So, it is possible for a team without holdbacks to compete.

 

How about this as an option.....................Make D1 AAU the Grade Exception division. D2 could be the legitimate division (no holdbacks, strictly go by birth certificates and have apples vs. apples). I just find it to be very interesting how many parents/kids are on ego trips when they see their son dominate their AAU division and/or school league as a holdback. Seems like it's all about beating their chest and telling people where their son is "ranked" in the state. These kids should enjoy their glory now, because it all evens out in high school. :cool:

Find me one parent, or child for that matter, who have been held back that thinks it was a mistake. I'll be waiting.......

 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!

 

 

Thats what my wife and I said, to each other while debating weather or not if we should hold him back. We talked to least 10-15 educators and 20 to 25 Parents that did or did not hold their child back. Not one parent that held their child back said it was a mistake. We had about 80% of parents that did not hold their child back say to us. That they wish they would have held their child back.

 

Sports a side for minute this just means...

I have a whole extra year of telling him to pick up his room and take the trash out:clap: It also means I have extra year to hear him say given me money :ohbrother:

 

We did not hold our son back for sports or grades it was a personal decision...

By they way if I did hold him back because of sports he's my son and this is America....:deadhorse:

 

My opinion: Most of the top players I have seen play in the state hold backs or not can play at a higher level than their grade. I seen 2 PG's in the 8th grade tournament that were 6th graders. Both of them 12 years old playing well against older competition. My point is their probably hold back...but they can still play up on a different level.

Good job Braxton, R W Combs and Keafer, Clinton Co.

Both are differences makers on the teams...My opinion

  • Author
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank You!

 

 

Thats what my wife and I said, to each other while debating weather or not if we should hold him back. We talked to least 10-15 educators and 20 to 25 Parents that did or did not hold their child back. Not one parent that held their child back said it was a mistake. We had about 80% of parents that did not hold their child back say to us. That they wish they would have held their child back.

 

Sports a side for minute this just means...

I have a whole extra year of telling him to pick up his room and take the trash out:clap: It also means I have extra year to hear him say given me money :ohbrother:

 

We did not hold our son back for sports or grades it was a personal decision...

By they way if I did hold him back because of sports he's my son and this is America....:deadhorse:

 

My opinion: Most of the top players I have seen play in the state hold backs or not can play at a higher level than their grade. I seen 2 PG's in the 8th grade tournament that were 6th graders. Both of them 12 years old playing well against older competition. My point is their probably hold back...but they can still play up on a different level.

Good job Braxton, R W Combs and Keafer, Clinton Co.

Both are differences makers on the teams...My opinion

 

If you want to hold your son back, it certainly is your right. You are right, this is America. But when these boys are ballin up on younger kids and using their age advantage to do it, please don't tell me how great they are until they ball up on boys in their own birth year. Some of these grade exceptions are two years older...............that is a huge advantage when you are between the ages of 10-15. Also, when you hold your kid back, please pay tuition so my tax dollars won't have to support your son for 13 years of schooling instead of 12.

Funny thing, I've always thought that it was hard work and dedication that made a difference. Holding a child back doesn't guarantee success. Having said that though, I can see advantages if hard work is part of the picture.

 

What's the rule for HS...you can't turn 19 before a certain date or something like that???????

If you want to hold your son back, it certainly is your right. You are right, this is America. But when these boys are ballin up on younger kids and using their age advantage to do it, please don't tell me how great they are until they ball up on boys in their own birth year. Some of these grade exceptions are two years older...............that is a huge advantage when you are between the ages of 10-15. Also, when you hold your kid back, please pay tuition so my tax dollars won't have to support your son for 13 years of schooling instead of 12.

 

:popcorn:

 

I never said anything about my son Balling on younger players...I bought up two 12 year olds playing up 2 grades. :confused:

 

For your tax's dollars; I truly doubt if the ever been spent on my chid....Only if you paid on some land tax's in the county. I pay enough Fed tax's to take care of it myself.:isurrender:

Isn't it time for the AAU to abolish this silly rule? Why can't apples play apples instead of apples playing oranges on ego trips? Kids play Pop Warner football, can you imagine this rule if it existed in football?? There would be an uprising.............10 year old kids should be playing other 10's, and 12's should be playing 12's. If you wanted your kid to play "up", then that would be your prerogative. Stop the nonsense AAU.

So, just to be clear. I would like to hear your suggestion. By your post, you say that 12's play with 12's. That's fine, but you're gonna have to provide a cutoff date or have them move up on their birthday's. Which is it? And if you provide a cutoff day, you're gonna leave some teammates that are in your grade and a month older. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You come up with a solution, and I can shoot it down with an exception. The bottom line is that AAU has made the rule, folks have petitioned to have the date moved, and AAU has held steadfast with that date, Sept 1st as the cutoff. You can whine about it, or play by it. And if you think for one minute that AAU has it wrong, like Rainman said, enjoy a trip to HOOPS and play by USSSA rules. No age restriction, only by grade. Try that group on for size.

When you factor in the economy and what a college scholly is worth in $$. Why wouldn't you hold your kid back to get an advantage. They possibly won't play against "their same age" until late HS...or college. I know of a FB player, SR., won't turn 18 until the week prior to graduation, earned all-state honors. Was competing in camps against kids/MEN that had to be nearly 19. Tell me that almost 2 year differential doesn't make a difference.

Just an FYI. AAU has a rule with grade exceptions, some don't even have a rule. For example, USSSA is grade based, which means your entire team could be holdbacks. And, middle school basketball is not governed by holdbacks. I believe the entire South Laurel team (at least the kids that played) was made up of holdbacks. Having said that, if you are going to play get used to it. Otherwise, don't play. Scott County had only one holdback for the past 2 years on its team that won the state in 7th grade and made the Final 8 in 8th grade. So, it is possible for a team without holdbacks to compete.

 

What do you consider a holdback? If a kid will be 19 at graduation then is he a hold back even if the parents just started them late.

Funny thing, I've always thought that it was hard work and dedication that made a difference. Holding a child back doesn't guarantee success. Having said that though, I can see advantages if hard work is part of the picture.

 

What's the rule for HS...you can't turn 19 before a certain date or something like that???????

Aug 1st....If Bday is Aug 1st them you could be 16 staring your Freshman year and 19 starting your Senior year.

After listening to these discussions over and over again, and even having said some things that go both ways for and against hold backs I have come to one conclusion. SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL. If you lose you lose if you win you win. Out of all the kids that play AAU in the state of Kentucky how many of them are we going to hear about playing D1 College Basketball in 4 or 5 years, maybe a handful. My team got beat by KYElite this weekend and I was upset after hearing about 15 different versions of who was a grade exception or a hold back or whatever I decided to let it be. I told my kids look we just competed with them and had a chance to win the game but we didnt this time, it just makes us better in the long run. So lets just let the players play, the coaches coach, and the parents brag or boast if they want to.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.