Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU Grade Exceptions???

Featured Replies

After listening to these discussions over and over again, and even having said some things that go both ways for and against hold backs I have come to one conclusion. SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL. If you lose you lose if you win you win. Out of all the kids that play AAU in the state of Kentucky how many of them are we going to hear about playing D1 College Basketball in 4 or 5 years, maybe a handful. My team got beat by KYElite this weekend and I was upset after hearing about 15 different versions of who was a grade exception or a hold back or whatever I decided to let it be. I told my kids look we just competed with them and had a chance to win the game but we didnt this time, it just makes us better in the long run. So lets just let the players play, the coaches coach, and the parents brag or boast if they want to.

 

BRAVO, BRAVO!! :clap::clap:

 

The rules are the rules. Either play by them or go find a different game.

 

For the record, I brag constantly about my boys and basketball and neither happens to be a holdback. I just encourage them to play their best regardless of who they are playing against.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
After listening to these discussions over and over again, and even having said some things that go both ways for and against hold backs I have come to one conclusion. SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL. If you lose you lose if you win you win. Out of all the kids that play AAU in the state of Kentucky how many of them are we going to hear about playing D1 College Basketball in 4 or 5 years, maybe a handful. My team got beat by KYElite this weekend and I was upset after hearing about 15 different versions of who was a grade exception or a hold back or whatever I decided to let it be. I told my kids look we just competed with them and had a chance to win the game but we didnt this time, it just makes us better in the long run. So lets just let the players play, the coaches coach, and the parents brag or boast if they want to.

 

I agree with you. About 1% of all high school players will compete at the D1 level. The odds are stacked against you big time. I just find it amazing how many people are caught up in winning at all cost. Hold your kids back, beat your chest, and be proud of your championships. My boys will always play hard regardless of the age disparity that exists. Does anyone on here realize that an AAU championship has never been won by a team without holdbacks? Wonder why???? :confused:

I agree with you. About 1% of all high school players will compete at the D1 level. The odds are stacked against you big time. I just find it amazing how many people are caught up in winning at all cost. Hold your kids back, beat your chest, and be proud of your championships. My boys will always play hard regardless of the age disparity that exists. Does anyone on here realize that an AAU championship has never been won by a team without holdbacks? Wonder why???? :confused:

Here, I'll be the first to get this guy out.:deadhorse:

 

 

Q said it was gonna happen anyway!

I agree with you. About 1% of all high school players will compete at the D1 level. The odds are stacked against you big time. I just find it amazing how many people are caught up in winning at all cost. Hold your kids back, beat your chest, and be proud of your championships. My boys will always play hard regardless of the age disparity that exists. Does anyone on here realize that an AAU championship has never been won by a team without holdbacks? Wonder why???? :confused:

 

Be careful. Remember Exception does not equal Holdback. I know of an instance where a kid moved in from a state with a Kindergarten cut-off of August 1 with a birthday of August 17th. By definition, he is an exception but not a holdback.

You can be a exception and have never repeated a grade. Alot of people start their kids late in our area. It is very common. The kids will usually be an exception by 1-3 months.

 

I think this is all crazy anyway, I play my kids up as far as they can compete. It's not about winning and losing, it's about getting better and being competitive.

 

I have also noticed that the kids whose parents complain about grade exceptions usually never end up being players. There parents start marking excuses for them at a young age and when you reach a certain level there are no more excusses. They spent their time complaining instead of working to get better and overcoming the obstacles.

You can be a exception and have never repeated a grade. Alot of people start their kids late in our area. It is very common. The kids will usually be an exception by 1-3 months.

 

I think this is all crazy anyway, I play my kids up as far as they can compete. It's not about winning and losing, it's about getting better and being competitive.

 

I have also noticed that the kids whose parents complain about grade exceptions usually never end up being players. There parents start marking excuses for them at a young age and when you reach a certain level there are no more excusses. They spent their time complaining instead of working to get better and overcoming the obstacles.

 

AMEN:thumb:

You can be a exception and have never repeated a grade. Alot of people start their kids late in our area. It is very common. The kids will usually be an exception by 1-3 months.

 

I think this is all crazy anyway, I play my kids up as far as they can compete. It's not about winning and losing, it's about getting better and being competitive.

 

I have also noticed that the kids whose parents complain about grade exceptions usually never end up being players. There parents start marking excuses for them at a young age and when you reach a certain level there are no more excusses. They spent their time complaining instead of working to get better and overcoming the obstacles.

 

I agree, kids should play up as far as they can compete.

 

Those held back from the beginnning or at a young age are no problem at all. They were most likely held for reasons other than athletic ability. In most of these cases it is rarly known who is a "hold back"

 

Those held back in middle school to be dominant at that age are the real issue. At 12-13-14-15, 1 year make a big difference (put a good eight grader in a 7th grade league it is huge). As the kids age 1 year makes less and less difference. This philosophy in these cases is to play down to achieve dominant success. This dominance is usually negated at the upper grades of high school as all the kids mature fully. We all know about the middle school hold back in the area, but, who are the dominant hold back seniors this year in KY?

 

To reference an earlier post very few become D1 players anyway. A lot of college signings happen before the senior year is played, if a player has talent, will be found no matter what age and red shirted at the next level if needed.

Isn't it time for the AAU to abolish this silly rule? Why can't apples play apples instead of apples playing oranges on ego trips? Kids play Pop Warner football, can you imagine this rule if it existed in football?? There would be an uprising.............10 year old kids should be playing other 10's, and 12's should be playing 12's. If you wanted your kid to play "up", then that would be your prerogative. Stop the nonsense AAU.

 

From 6th grade basketball to high school....school teams can have as many exemptions as they want. The whole team can be holdbacks with no restrictions except the kid can't turn 19 before Aug 1st. In AAU a team is limited to 3 per team. Don't understand the uproar!

  • Author
I agree, kids should play up as far as they can compete.

 

Those held back from the beginnning or at a young age are no problem at all. They were most likely held for reasons other than athletic ability. In most of these cases it is rarly known who is a "hold back"

 

Those held back in middle school to be dominant at that age are the real issue. At 12-13-14-15, 1 year make a big difference (put a good eight grader in a 7th grade league it is huge). As the kids age 1 year makes less and less difference. This philosophy in these cases is to play down to achieve dominant success. This dominance is usually negated at the upper grades of high school as all the kids mature fully. We all know about the middle school hold back in the area, but, who are the dominant hold back seniors this year in KY?

 

To reference an earlier post very few become D1 players anyway. A lot of college signings happen before the senior year is played, if a player has talent, will be found no matter what age and red shirted at the next level if needed.

 

Kentonman, you just hit a home run and made my point. Thank you!! I am not concerned about kids who started school late or had a different cutoff in kindergarten. Your post (in bold) is exactly what I am talking about. Being held back in middle school once you already know that your kid has talent. The parent goes on an ego trip, and wants to see their kid become dominant. That thought pattern is unsettling to be honest with you. Great post KM!

Or the parent sees talent and hopes that one more year of maturity might push them over the edge and help them get a scholorship to attend college. Anyone that does it so their kid can dominate middle school is wrong, but for most, I don't feel that is the case.

 

In 1978 I stayed back as an 8th grader and and played 12 8th grade basketball games (a full season) within a 45 mile radius. I was a straight A student and remained one after I stayed back. I started the 3rd varsity game of my freshman year and never played a freshman or JV game in my career. I recieved a scholorship to Georgetown. I graduated college and have a very happy and successful life. I fail to see anything wrong with that. When I graduated at 19, I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I have a hard time believing a 17 year old would have a better understanding.

 

The bottom line is you people are arguing about an advantage in middle school basketball. Compare that to the stock market, budget crissis, or war in Iraq and tell me why we even have this discussion.

 

I see both sides to the argument but it's alot like an argument between a Baptist and a Catholic, no one is ever going to admit they are wrong or the other person is right. Let's all just say we choose to disagree.

Here, I'll be the first to get this guy out.:deadhorse:

 

 

Q said it was gonna happen anyway!

 

:laugh::laugh:

 

I wish I would have held my son back to be honest but I didnt so it is what it is and I tell him he needs to get used to playing older, stronger kids until he catches up.

:laugh::laugh:

 

I wish I would have held my son back to be honest but I didnt so it is what it is and I tell him he needs to get used to playing older, stronger kids until he catches up.

 

What is the purpose of the grade exception rule? What is AAU trying to accompolish with it?

You know some people hold their kids back in elementary school because they may have a learning disability or having a hard time. So you wish to punish them by telling them they can't play with their classmates and friends. That is what happened with my son. He does not think he is awesome or better than most. He is a kids that is realistic about the fact that when he goes to college it will be about getting an education, not basketball. I will for one say that playing older kids is what makes the player better not jplaying someone their own age that is even with that player or not as good.

I think the rule is there so kids in the same grade can play together on the same team. I can tell you that kids were repeating grades before AAU became a dominate force in basketball. It just gives kids an extra year to mature. Now with all of the negativity surrounding repeating a grade, alot of parents simply start their child late. I understand people's resentment towards it especially if they started theirs a little early. One and one half years is a lot of difference in elementary and middle school. The fact is though, they will be competing agaist the same children in high school. We all know this is a dead issue that has been beaten to death several times on here, I don't think either side will ever agree with the other.

I will for one say that playing older kids is what makes the player better not playing someone their own age that is even with that player or not as good.

 

I agree, I know my son enjoys playing against the grade exemptions, it only makes him better.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.