Juvenile Crime – Are These Contributors?

Run To State

Video games, TV shows, Movies. In your opinion, are these contributing factors to juvenile crime? I know a lot of people that truly feel that they are and I’ve read articles and listened to radio shows that point to these a major part of the problem.

My opinion is that these things aren't part of the problem at all, it's poor parenting more than anything else followed by kids hanging around a bad crowd.

Your feelings?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parents and their lack of parenting is the major problem. The ones that really get on my nerves are the ones that want to be a friend and won't discipline their kids. But, overall, it is a combination of many problems with parents. Some don't want to spend time with their kids. Some don't care where their kids are running around and who they are running with. Some don't care what their kids watch, play, and listen to (violent video games, rap music with explicit lyrics). Their are several contributing factors, but I believe, overall, it falls back on the actions of parents and the core values that are installed in their kids by them.

They may contribute to the creativity (ala 'Scream'), but Videogames, TV, and movies don't cause crazy.

Parenting is definitely the #1 factor, IMO. Also, like elephants, some people are just jerks (bonus points to whoever can find what this twist of a reference is from).

They may contribute to the creativity (ala 'Scream'), but Videogames, TV, and movies don't cause crazy.

Parenting is definitely the #1 factor, IMO. Also, like elephants, some people are just jerks (bonus points to whoever can find what this twist of a reference is from).

The Simpson's. What did I win?

They dont always contribute but when TV and video games are used as babysitters for the kids, it never helps. There are several contributing factors, such as single-parent homes, both parents having to work which leaves the kids with too much free time, taking corporal punishment out of the schools, etc. The list is long, but it begins with the parents.

Both my parents worked. I had a lot of free time. I also knew if that time wasn't used getting my homework and chores done, it would be a bad evening when the folks got home. Bad "marks" at school meant getting "marks" at home. My parents laid out their expectations and they were to be met. Parents that just give kids everything they want, regardless of their behavior, are not good parents. Parents that teach personal rexponsibility at an early age, ones that show consequences for actions, those are good parents. Parents that buy a 10 year old video games that the object is to steal cars, run from the cops, and hire prostitutes are just asking for trouble.